Spyder Garage

Default clutch pickup point

G'day from Toolijooa NSW Australia. I've got a '09 RS SM5. Bit of a problem, when taking off I have to let the clutch lever nearly all the way out, before the clutch picks up. It's done about 30,000 k's, I don't abuse the clutch (only verbally), so I don't think it should have worn prematurely. BRP Australia say only answer is new clutch plates.
    Does anyone know if there is some way to adjust, so pickup point is closer to grip, as I find it a bit hard to take off smoothly as it is.

Replaced oil filter recently, misread torque wrench, accidentally applied 2 or 3 Nm too much, to filter cover bolt and SNAP.
    Luckily I was able to remove broken bolt and replace it OK. Original bolt made from cheese perhaps ?

Over the past couple of years, our Spyder has proved reliable (except for a few faults caused by sloppy workmanship by dealers) fast for day trips and capable of taking my wife and myself on some long (2000 km) trips as well.
    Michael / GoodVybrations.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just the clutch lever is adjustable. Replace the clutch plates.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

As Doc said, only the lever is adjustable. While your clutch plates may well need replacement (there is a new clutch pack with an extra plate and a new oil nozzle available). If you are not experiencing any slipping, the clutch may still be serviceable for a while. The Spyder clutch is reknowned for engaging at the very end of the throw. There is no free play, and the hydraulic clutch engages over a very short distance. If you replace the clutch plates and discs, use part number 420281930 for an SM5. The SE has a different part number.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVybrations View Post

Replaced oil filter recently, misread torque wrench, accidentally applied 2 or 3 Nm too much, to filter cover bolt and SNAP.
    Luckily I was able to remove broken bolt and replace it OK. Original bolt made from cheese perhaps ?
    Your lucky several reports of Spyderlovers stripping the threads in the casting. A broken bolt is a much preffered failure.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Spyder clutch is reknowned for engaging at the very end of the throw. There is no free play, and the hydraulic clutch engages over a very short distance.
    Agree. It's scary how late in the release of the lever that the clutch begins to engage. But my RT's been like that since new. And the tech's confirm that is normal. Also agree not to replace unless it's slipping. It could be perfectly fine -- a non-abused clutch should go a long ways. Since Scotty says there is a re-design with more plates, it could be the original is a little weak. I'd wait for slippage symptoms. The best way to check that is to use a higher gear -- 4th or 5th -- and roll on full throttle under load in a decent part of the torque curve and see if you get slippage. For example, I had a Honda Sabre 1100 that I thought was slipping a little. I had a steep hill that was on a 60 mph road. I'd cruise up that hill at a steady state of about 60 mph in fourth gear, roll on full throttle and the slipping would be obvious.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty, your clutch may be just fine. Mine has engaged at the end of travel since new and hasn't really changed any. Be sure to use a good MA2 rated oil and go with the flow.

If you rebuild the clutch chances are it will still engage at the same point. If it's not slipping you are probably good to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies, looks like I stick with it, and address it if/when it starts slipping.

p.s. here in coastal/rural Toolijooa we're having a beautiful sunny 22 deg.Celsius day.
    Perfect bbq and beer weather.
    Michael / GoodVybrations.

Spyder Garage

My 08 GS and my 10 RT both grab the clutch at the end of the throw. I think it is normal.

When I had my 08 Harley Classic, it did the same, but I was able to adjust it to the middle.

Spyder Garage

While we are talking clutch here- I have a New RT Manual clutch and It grabs near the end of Play as said above.
    My question is---
    Is it Bad to downshift to 2nd gear going into a tight corner and Slowly let out the clutch in coordination with the turn to increase RPM,s and Take the corner in more control at the Higher RPM then Apply throttle and Shift up to 3rd gear again??

I,m NEW to the manual Clutch and find myself Downshifting (In stages/ Braking) as I approach a Full Stop BUT is this going to cause me to have to replace the Clutch Plates MUCH sooner???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!