Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy I can't get over it~~

I really need to get this off my chest...

The weekend of Sept 8th and 9th, I was taking a MSF class. I was so proud of myself! I'm now (as of this month) 47, and this was my first time riding (driving) a bike ever. If you're interested, you can read about the story behind all of this here.

On Saturday the 8th, I was awesome! I couldn't believe how well I did. I couldn't believe how awesome it felt! I was riding after all of these years. The same thing happened on Sunday. I was feeling the wind, and I still couldn't believe it. Everything felt so natural. Then, from a standstill, the bike took off, drug me, then tossed me into the air. Needless to say, my landing wasn't painless.

After the wreck, I got back on the horse (so to speak), and rode around blah blah yadda. My classmates and instructor were very surprised. I couldn't even lift my leg by myself. One of my classmates lifted my left so I get on and off the bike.

I didn't immediately go to the hospital, but I did later that evening. The pain was insane. Luckily, there were no broken bones or serious injuries, so I was sent home. The next day, I drank some water, and immense indescribable pain hit me. Apparently, I had a mass that was growing and had been hidden for a very long time. Looks like my wreck shook loose more than my nerves.

But here's the thing...

I wasn't fearful of bikes or riding immediately after the wreck. I got back on. I was sore, but I felt good. Now, I am having panic attacks and very graphic flashbacks of the incident of flying through the air and slamming to the ground. Hmmm... PTSD. Honestly, I don't even know if I can get on a Spyder right now. Realistically, I'm sure I could. I mean, 3 wheels are different from 2. Nothing is perfectly safe, but I would "feel" better on a Spyder. And since my hands are so weak, not having to deal with a clutch is just bonus.

When I first saw a Spyder, I knew it was THE answer for me. I have a few physical issues, and I believe they would mean nothing with a Spyder. I was so excited, and couldn't wait to get one (yep, that will take a while). Then, this happened. Now, I'm freaked out when I hear any bike start. I don't have any kind of bike right now, but I still really wish I could get over this.

Thanks for letting me vent a little!
    Mama Phoenix ~ Waiting to ryde the wind!

Spyder Garage

Can and would you explain with a little more detail just how the accident happened? Were you on the spyder went it dragged you? Just how did it exactly happen?

Chris

Spyder Garage

I am not a doctor or therapist, but here is what I would do, IMHO.....I would go to a dealership that sells Spyders. And make several visits over however long a time period you would like. Walk around them, around the two wheelers as well. Don't have to sit on them, or get stressed out. When you feel comfortable enough to do it, sit on a Spyder. I think if you work toward that goal, once you sit on it you will see and feel how stable it is. No way you can tip over. Feel how comfortable it feels. If you can successfully accomplish this, and you feel you want to make the next step, see if your state offers trike classes to get your endorsement. I went through it here and they even had a couple CanAm Rs's to try. But do all of this slowly until your anxiety is gone. If it doesn't go away, so be it but at least you know you tried. Good luck with your little adventure and keep us posted.......

Spyder Garage

Default This is what happened

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Can and would you explain with a little more detail just how the accident happened? Were you on the spyder went it dragged you? Just how did it exactly happen?

Chris
    Hi Chris-- I wasn't on a Spyder. (Did my post sound like I was?) I was on a 2-wheeler at a motorcycle safety course (irony). I had been having a problem holding in the clutch for both days, and I told the instructor this. She did not know how to adjust the clutch. Also, the brake was turned forward waaaay too much, so every time I pulled the brake, the accelerator would engage. The gear shifter was also bent from the bike being dropped. Her father showed up at some point, and actually adjusted the clutch on the 2nd bike. Too little, too late.

So, I was sitting still trying to get the cheesy bike in neutral so I wouldn't have to hold the clutch which was killing my hand. I was also breaking which was difficult because of the position of it. I'm guessing I released the clutch part of the way, and when I pulled in the brake, the bike took off because the accelerator engaged. The next thing I knew, I was in the air.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    I am not a doctor or therapist, but here is what I would do, IMHO.....I would go to a dealership that sells Spyders. And make several visits over however long a time period you would like. Walk around them, around the two wheelers as well. Don't have to sit on them, or get stressed out. When you feel comfortable enough to do it, sit on a Spyder. I think if you work toward that goal, once you sit on it you will see and feel how stable it is. No way you can tip over. Feel how comfortable it feels. If you can successfully accomplish this, and you feel you want to make the next step, see if your state offers trike classes to get your endorsement. I went through it here and they even had a couple CanAm Rs's to try. But do all of this slowly until your anxiety is gone. If it doesn't go away, so be it but at least you know you tried. Good luck with your little adventure and keep us posted.......
    Yep, I definitely need to get around bikes again. Luckily, I have a few friends who have bikes, so it won't be a problem. The nearest Spyder dealership is in another city, so I'll go by there the next time I'm in the area. I really want to see the 2013s, so that will be a cool trip. I think I'm fine to sit on a Spyder or even a regular bike that is not running. BUT, I know I can't sit on a 2-wheeler that has been started. I'm unsure about the Spyder. Just hearing the sound is freaking me out.

I know it will take time, and I have to be patient with myself (which I'm not good at). I will get there! Oh-- there are trike classes in east TN, and I'm in middle TN. Bummer!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So sorry this has happened to you. You are braver than I as I won't even try a 2 wheeler. The only thing I can relate to is getting tossed from my horse. Yeah, it's tough. I got bucked off about 3 miles away from the trailer. Had to ride the same horse back. Didn't have a choice. But I could never get on that particular horse again. Just couldn't talk myself into it. Now other horses, I had no problem and I do ride still. My daughter got bucked off of her colt this summer. She is having problems getting on her good horse. Did it the other day and she said her legs were shaking like a leaf.

It is different for everybody. We've been where you are at. Like schnauzermom said, go look at the spyders. Do you know anyone who would let you be a passenger? This is a "different horse" after all.

Good luck to you. Hope you heal quickly and don't stress yourself over this. Give yourself some time.

Leslie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hey... seems at a young age your body is messing with you a tad.. trusting as you age you get stronger.. I lost a leg in a car crash at 32 I'm 64 now.. died a few times that night.. when I woke up in ICU and the nurse said "glad you could join us" and I said if I had been on my motorcycle this would have never happened.. she said "that I didn't want to hear"

I sat in a wheelchair for about a year and 1/2... got a great sun tan.. and learned how to balance myself on the back wheels sitting still with the front tires off the ground. my MoM got upset when she saw me doing this.. everybone in my body was broken in this accident..

I got back on my motorcycles and had many wonderous years traveling..

I bought a CanAm because sometimes now it's a little hard to walk.. Oh Yea.. I would love to have the newest go fast anything... but realize my limitations..

I'm still a novice with the CaN AM.. I know I can overcome my fear of the unknown , just as you can..

You Go Girl..

You'll be fine

Spyder Garage

You are understandably shook up and upset. But this is not as unusual as you might think. Many studies have shown that you're most likely to have an accident in your first year of riding. This makes sense because this is when you're least experienced. The first time I ever rode a motorcycle I just about drove it off a cliff. The first time my friend rode a motorcycle he totaled it. My daughter got into a accident when she was taking her driving test at the motor vehicle department. All of us were upset and shook up but none of us let it stop us and neither should you.

When I took the motorcycle safety course three people in the class fell. It's not that unusual. They all passed the course in the end even though they were shook up.

To quote a recent movie line: Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my first Spyder for my 50th Bday from my wife. I did even have a license and took the MSF course myself. A women in my class did the same tihng you did without getting draged, about 3 times before droping out of class. If you sit on Spyder you will feel a big difference compaired to a two wheeler. Not having the clutch on SE5 and the foot brake will help you feel SO much safer and under control with you bad hands. You can go to full throttle on the RS or RT and it will not take off without you

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustybell View Post
    So sorry this has happened to you. You are braver than I as I won't even try a 2 wheeler. The only thing I can relate to is getting tossed from my horse. Yeah, it's tough. I got bucked off about 3 miles away from the trailer. Had to ride the same horse back. Didn't have a choice. But I could never get on that particular horse again. Just couldn't talk myself into it. Now other horses, I had no problem and I do ride still. My daughter got bucked off of her colt this summer. She is having problems getting on her good horse. Did it the other day and she said her legs were shaking like a leaf.

It is different for everybody. We've been where you are at. Like schnauzermom said, go look at the spyders. Do you know anyone who would let you be a passenger? This is a "different horse" after all.

Good luck to you. Hope you heal quickly and don't stress yourself over this. Give yourself some time.

Leslie
    Thanks, Leslie! Our situations are similar even though it's horse vs horsepower. Either way, it's still being tossed and it's still scary. I fell off a horse years ago because the person in front of me (on the same horse) dropped the reigns. Very scary, but I got back on.

I don't know why this affected me like this 2 months after the accident. I guess it just took a while for the adrenaline to settle down. Being in the hospital for 2 months didn't help either. I'm going to take my time, but I'm very grateful for everyone's support.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

anything with one horsepower and a brain I stay away from ...lessons learned.. also never , ever jump on a shetland pony by putting your hands on its rump and bounding on

Spyder Garage

Had somewhat the same experience when first learning to ride...

Got my springer and learned to ride it going around the neighborhood. First time I took her out with Hubby on bigger roads, was at a four-way blind stop. Weeds were growin up over our heads. Couldn't see around the corner.

I started around the corner to find a car cutting the corner, all I remember was seeing the middle of a car grill, remembering a friend say 'Find a soft place to land.'. Couldn't go left or I'd hit Hubby. Went right past the car and hit the curb. Don't remember anything till Hubby woke me up. Was about ten feet from the springer.

Nobody knows but the little old lady knows how I flew. She was blocking Hubby's view. My leg was burning and I had had a headache... Yeah I had gotten a concussion and a buggered neck while wearing a DOT helmet.

I grew up around horses. If they buck us off, Daddy would make us get right back on. Didn't matter how we felt. Was supposed to be for the horse. Let them know if they buck you off, the ride isn't over. Little did I know, if was character building.

Took the MSC class after that was good to go.

That was many years ago, still avoid that intersection, but live and learn.

There is a whole new life opened up for you once you get on three wheels and free. Lots of us have had accidents. Would we give up riding? No way!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Slow and easy

When I went down on my two wheeler that put me in the hospital for five days (I do not remember what/how it happened) my wife would not let me back on for several years. Then when I did I was fine except for when I had to lean for a turn (my wreak happened in a turn), and it scared the daylights out of me. I just took the turns slow for a while, but now it does not bother me. I guess I retrained myself to realize that just because it happened once does not mean it will happen again. When I first got my two wheeler a friend said "with a bike it is not if you go down, but when". Looks like we both got it out of the way.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mama Phoenix -
    Like the others, I have a tale of broken bones (mine in lower leg - both bones, multiple places) and months of wheel chairs, walkers and canes. That will be three years in February and I guess I'll always have a bit of a limp - but it doesn't keep me from riding. I was riding one of my two wheelers when it happened and since I was in the hospital for four days and then had months of rehab and being at home immobile, I began to have dreams of the accident and also dream fantasies related to my injury (like taking my cast off and no leg being there, etc.). I think the longer I went without being able to get back on a bike - although I sort of dreaded getting back on, the more the anxiety grew. Finally, when I still had a cast and was down to using a walker and could finally, with help, get myself down the two porch steps, I got on my Spyder. My husband and riding buddies helped me get on, strapped my walker on behind me - and off we went. Even on the Spyder I was a bit apprehensive at first. I now had first hand knowledge (or maybe I should first LEG knowledge) of just how fragile the human body can be - and how quickly things can be out of our control. But the riding dispelled the bad dreams and fears. I'm now back to riding both my Spyder and my other two wheeled bikes (rode the Ducati about 250 miles today into St. Louis for a warranty part replacement) and while I'm still more aware of the possibilities, I'm happy to say they don't keep me from riding. Today was coolish - 40'ish and quite windy and even a few of the employees at the cycle shop were concerned that I was riding home in Black Friday St. Louis traffic and in the windy conditions - but I was fine and thrilled to be out and riding and not letting anxiety keep me from enjoying what I love.
    I hope that you get the opportunity soon to get on a Spyder and ride. Even though your safety course has bad memories associated with it, it called attention to a medical situation that needed attention and I'm sure you came away with helpful, practical safety tips that will serve you well when you get YOUR Spyder. Soon instead of losing sleep to anxiety, you'll be losing sleep because you're so darned rev'ed from ryding you can hardly wait for the sun to come up so you can go out again. Good luck to you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    hey... seems at a young age your body is messing with you a tad.. trusting as you age you get stronger.. I lost a leg in a car crash at 32 I'm 64 now.. died a few times that night.. when I woke up in ICU and the nurse said "glad you could join us" and I said if I had been on my motorcycle this would have never happened.. she said "that I didn't want to hear"

I sat in a wheelchair for about a year and 1/2... got a great sun tan.. and learned how to balance myself on the back wheels sitting still with the front tires off the ground. my MoM got upset when she saw me doing this.. everybone in my body was broken in this accident..

I got back on my motorcycles and had many wonderous years traveling..

I bought a CanAm because sometimes now it's a little hard to walk.. Oh Yea.. I would love to have the newest go fast anything... but realize my limitations..

I'm still a novice with the CaN AM.. I know I can overcome my fear of the unknown , just as you can..

You Go Girl..

You'll be fine
    Thanks, jScotD! Wow, that sounds like a horrible accident, but I'm glad you made it through it! The obstacles and challenges really tell us who we really are, don't they?

You are right... my body did start letting me down at an early age. I still have a lot of pain issues, but I don't let it stop me. I try not to, anyway. That's why I had to take that MSF class... getting over a fear and trying to ride in spite of my body. It will take time, but I know I'll get there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to endure this... You've got a real good idea of how it happened; so I don't mean to sound trite, but chalk it up as one of life's learning experiences and take your time with the next step. Good Luck and we hope to see your smiling face here with a Spyder!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can't tell ya how many times I experienced "hand freeze" on the throttle when I was first learning to ride dirt bikes. I've got the bumps and bruises still to prove it.

Glad you're on your way to a speedy recovery. Just get back on it and ride again. Make sure the equipment is in proper condition though.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Last May my wife and I had wreck when a Buffalo attacked us. The Spyder was totalled but as soon as I healed up enough to walk without too much of a limp we went out and bought us
    a new one. It's amazing how much you miss it when it's gone. Ryding is a form of mental therapy for us, it really helps clear the mind of all the trivial stuff of life. I will say I'm still not too fond of Buffalo. (except on a dinner plate).
    My 2011 RSS SM5 Mods all self installed: Spyder Detailing Graphics, Madstad, Kewlmetal risers, Rivco Driver Floorboards, Evoluzione Sway Bar, 25" Touring Windshield, 2010 RT Shocks, Hindle Exhaust, Isci Handbrake, Kurakyn Grips , Rivco Passenger Floorboards, Tricled fender tips and fender lights. Rivco license plate flag holder. BRP backrest. ESI tail light lens.

Spyder Garage

I have also met the buffalo herd in Custer State Park--but was in a cage at the time.

RE: the accident. Give it time and it will be easier to get on the Spyder and ryde. At least it was not the Spyder that caused the problem. I am surprised that they allowed equipment to be used that was not in very good shape. Sounds like an accident getting ready to happen there.

The question comes up a little concerning the MSF course. There should be provision for three wheeled bikes and not force someone to drive a vehicle that they are not going to be using in the "real world". Let the person bring their own threewheeler (trike or spyder) and use that to drive on. I can't believe they cannot figure out how to adapt the course to accommodate the three wheeled drivers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    You are understandably shook up and upset. But this is not as unusual as you might think. Many studies have shown that you're most likely to have an accident in your first year of riding. This makes sense because this is when you're least experienced. The first time I ever rode a motorcycle I just about drove it off a cliff. The first time my friend rode a motorcycle he totaled it. My daughter got into a accident when she was taking her driving test at the motor vehicle department. All of us were upset and shook up but none of us let it stop us and neither should you.

When I took the motorcycle safety course three people in the class fell. It's not that unusual. They all passed the course in the end even though they were shook up.

To quote a recent movie line: Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again.
    I am so glad I got back on (a different bike) after the wreck. I knew I had to do it. I'm upset about not being able to finish the course, though. I tried, but my insides were shaking so bad I couldn't. I wasn't nervous. Something I couldn't control was happening inside (which turned out to be the mass and infection). At least I got back on, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I got my first Spyder for my 50th Bday from my wife. I did even have a license and took the MSF course myself. A women in my class did the same tihng you did without getting draged, about 3 times before droping out of class. If you sit on Spyder you will feel a big difference compaired to a two wheeler. Not having the clutch on SE5 and the foot brake will help you feel SO much safer and under control with you bad hands. You can go to full throttle on the RS or RT and it will not take off without you
    Having 3 wheels & no clutch would be a god-send for me. Now, to just get a Spyder.

anything with one horsepower and a brain I stay away from ...lessons learned.. also never , ever jump on a shetland pony by putting your hands on its rump and bounding on
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Had somewhat the same experience when first learning to ride...

Got my springer and learned to ride it going around the neighborhood. First time I took her out with Hubby on bigger roads, was at a four-way blind stop. Weeds were growin up over our heads. Couldn't see around the corner.

I started around the corner to find a car cutting the corner, all I remember was seeing the middle of a car grill, remembering a friend say 'Find a soft place to land.'. Couldn't go left or I'd hit Hubby. Went right past the car and hit the curb. Don't remember anything till Hubby woke me up. Was about ten feet from the springer.

Nobody knows but the little old lady knows how I flew. She was blocking Hubby's view. My leg was burning and I had had a headache... Yeah I had gotten a concussion and a buggered neck while wearing a DOT helmet.

I grew up around horses. If they buck us off, Daddy would make us get right back on. Didn't matter how we felt. Was supposed to be for the horse. Let them know if they buck you off, the ride isn't over. Little did I know, if was character building.

Took the MSC class after that was good to go.

That was many years ago, still avoid that intersection, but live and learn.

There is a whole new life opened up for you once you get on three wheels and free. Lots of us have had accidents. Would we give up riding? No way!
    Sounds like an awful accident, but I'm so glad you're ok. And you're right... "Getting back on that horse", or bike, or whatever, is character building and I'm so glad I did it (several times that day).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    When I went down on my two wheeler that put me in the hospital for five days (I do not remember what/how it happened) my wife would not let me back on for several years. Then when I did I was fine except for when I had to lean for a turn (my wreak happened in a turn), and it scared the daylights out of me. I just took the turns slow for a while, but now it does not bother me. I guess I retrained myself to realize that just because it happened once does not mean it will happen again. When I first got my two wheeler a friend said "with a bike it is not if you go down, but when". Looks like we both got it out of the way.
    I am very glad to have that out of the way. Yikes! So glad that is behind me. I'm learning that many of you don't remember your wrecks. I wish I was so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    Mama Phoenix -
    Like the others, I have a tale of broken bones (mine in lower leg - both bones, multiple places) and months of wheel chairs, walkers and canes. That will be three years in February and I guess I'll always have a bit of a limp - but it doesn't keep me from riding. I was riding one of my two wheelers when it happened and since I was in the hospital for four days and then had months of rehab and being at home immobile, I began to have dreams of the accident and also dream fantasies related to my injury (like taking my cast off and no leg being there, etc.). I think the longer I went without being able to get back on a bike - although I sort of dreaded getting back on, the more the anxiety grew. Finally, when I still had a cast and was down to using a walker and could finally, with help, get myself down the two porch steps, I got on my Spyder. My husband and riding buddies helped me get on, strapped my walker on behind me - and off we went. Even on the Spyder I was a bit apprehensive at first. I now had first hand knowledge (or maybe I should first LEG knowledge) of just how fragile the human body can be - and how quickly things can be out of our control. But the riding dispelled the bad dreams and fears. I'm now back to riding both my Spyder and my other two wheeled bikes (rode the Ducati about 250 miles today into St. Louis for a warranty part replacement) and while I'm still more aware of the possibilities, I'm happy to say they don't keep me from riding. Today was coolish - 40'ish and quite windy and even a few of the employees at the cycle shop were concerned that I was riding home in Black Friday St. Louis traffic and in the windy conditions - but I was fine and thrilled to be out and riding and not letting anxiety keep me from enjoying what I love.
    I hope that you get the opportunity soon to get on a Spyder and ride. Even though your safety course has bad memories associated with it, it called attention to a medical situation that needed attention and I'm sure you came away with helpful, practical safety tips that will serve you well when you get YOUR Spyder. Soon instead of losing sleep to anxiety, you'll be losing sleep because you're so darned rev'ed from ryding you can hardly wait for the sun to come up so you can go out again. Good luck to you.
    So glad you're okay! I know what you mean about the dreams and dream fantasies. They are kind of taking over right now. Oddly enough, I believe the wreck (that made no sense really) was meant to happen. Because of it, I did find out that I had a bad infection and a huge mass in my colon. I had had several abdominal CTs prior to this, and it wasn't seen until after the wreck. If that mass had ruptured, I would've been dead within minutes. So, I'm very lucky and blessed. And I did gain some useful information. I also found out that I can ride, so I conquered a long-time fear. Thanks so much for your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had to endure this... You've got a real good idea of how it happened; so I don't mean to sound trite, but chalk it up as one of life's learning experiences and take your time with the next step. Good Luck and we hope to see your smiling face here with a Spyder!
    Thanks, Bob! I definitely learned a lot. Not only from the wreck, and my superb riding (lol) before the wreck, but also from the lack of knowledge my instructor had regarding adjusting bikes. Yep, a lot to learn from that day.

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I can't tell ya how many times I experienced "hand freeze" on the throttle when I was first learning to ride dirt bikes. I've got the bumps and bruises still to prove it.

Glad you're on your way to a speedy recovery. Just get back on it and ride again. Make sure the equipment is in proper condition though.

Chris
    Thanks, Chris! If I've learned nothing else, I know to make sure a bike is in operating order. It's a shame the instructors don't feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have also met the buffalo herd in Custer State Park--but was in a cage at the time.

RE: the accident. Give it time and it will be easier to get on the Spyder and ryde. At least it was not the Spyder that caused the problem. I am surprised that they allowed equipment to be used that was not in very good shape. Sounds like an accident getting ready to happen there.

The question comes up a little concerning the MSF course. There should be provision for three wheeled bikes and not force someone to drive a vehicle that they are not going to be using in the "real world". Let the person bring their own threewheeler (trike or spyder) and use that to drive on. I can't believe they cannot figure out how to adapt the course to accommodate the three wheeled drivers.
    I completely agree! I couldn't believe the condition of the bikes on close inspection. They are not repaired as they should be.

This place doesn't have a 3-wheel course because they have no one to teach it. At least, that's what they told me. There is a 3-wheel course in East TN, but I'm in Middle TN, so that doesn't help me much unless I'm hanging out at a famous yearly BBQ. You also must have your own 3-wheeler there, and I don't have one YET. I would love to take a 3-wheel course, so I'm hoping one shows up in my area soon.

Thanks you all for your comments and kind words! It means a lot to me.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've shared this before in more detail, but the short of it is, my father was killed in a motorcycle accident when I was 3. I wanted to ride, and I took the MSF course confidently, but outside the course, I never felt safe or comfortable on a 2 wheeler as a result. I don't have that issue with my spyder.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I've shared this before in more detail, but the short of it is, my father was killed in a motorcycle accident when I was 3. I wanted to ride, and I took the MSF course confidently, but outside the course, I never felt safe or comfortable on a 2 wheeler as a result. I don't have that issue with my spyder.
    Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry to hear about your father.
    Even in my Suburban, I'm always thinking about how crazy people drive. As big as my truck is, people still pull out in front of me, run lights, and do other stupid maneuvers. I couldn't imagine dealing with that on 2 wheels. I think I would also feel more comfortable on a Spyder.
    Last edited by Mama Phoenix; 11-24-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

it's the holiday weekend everyone is cRaZy nOw.. do the best you can to put your trip behind you.. find the Spyder that feels good to you... it's cold now .. here where I live and where you do.. you will find the best buy now while it's cold.. put it into your garage and walk out everynight and throw your leg over and dream of Spring.. start the engine and listen.. to your mind and dream

Spyder Garage

it's the holiday weekend everyone is cRaZy nOw.. do the best you can to put your trip behind you.. find the Spyder that feels good to you... it's cold now .. here where I live and where you do.. you will find the best buy now while it's cold.. put it into your garage and walk out everynight and throw your leg over and dream of Spring.. start the engine and listen.. to your mind and dream
    Complete truth about the current crazy holiday driving. Oh, I wish I could grab a Spyder right now. Doing what you said sounds soooooo goooood!

Spyder Garage

One thing that beat into our heads at ATV Instructor course was, if a unit is not in good operating condistion, DO NOT USE IT. It would be much better have one disapointed at not being to take the course, then have somebody hurt. In this case the poor condistion of the unit was a main cause in the incident. IMHO
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner