Spyder Garage

Default Intermittent starting problem.

Since Sept After riding for 2 months and 2000 miles suddenly as I started the Spyder it would fire up and cut out.I immediatly then restarted with no problem.This happened a few times over the past few months.I bought the RT in Michigan but am now in Florida.A month ago I was at a major dealer who will be doing the servicing.I talked about the problem and they felt it was very minor.
    Since then I have done close to 1500 miles and it did as described above 2or 3 times but no problem starting immediatly after.
    I haven't ridden for a week and yesterday it did the same thing except would not start but turned over and over without starting.I tried 3 times to start after waiting a bit same result.I spoke to the Tech in Florida who said he had no idea bring it in.I then spoke to the main tech in Michigan whom I found really good doing my service and sorting out any minor problems during my 2 month stay there.He told me this happens with many of the Spyders they sell.Sometimes after 1 mile sometimes a few months.He stated BRP had no fix for this.He told me go to the bike hold the throttle slightly open and hold the starter.I did that it turned over and over for about 7 secs then fired up and ran with no problem.Since then have started it 6 times no problem at all and bike runs perfectly.Both techs emphatically stated this was not a throttle body problem.
    I would state the RT is in my garage and on a battery tender.
    Has anyone had this same problem or have an explanation.

Ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2011 or 2012 RT? Cracking the throttle a bit does help to get the fires lit when the bikes don't start normally...
    I don't have a clue as to why it happens...
    Maybe Scotty has an explanation handy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

never use any thing but 92 octane or above gas,never put that junk stuff in your gas tank, and make sure your battery cable is tight man i just had to put that in there im obsessed,with loose battery cables they vibrete loose.wow now i feel better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"fuel octane levels"...
    That ought to start up a spirited discussion...
    Then somebody will mention ethanol and we'll REALLY be into it!

Spyder Garage

I have only used highest Octane fuel,never put additive in and checked the battery cable.

Ivor

Spyder Garage

Maybe you got some bad gasoline along the way and it's junked up your fuel filter, It's a cheap try.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Thats a good point.I will check out the fuel filter.Thanks.

Ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to be careful where you buy your gas too. I try to stay away from the generic cheap stations.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT. Sometimes it would not start on the first try. So now I open the throttle a little and it fires right away. Try this for next few starts and see if helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the same procedure with mine when it doesn't light up right away! Once it's up and running, a few quick blips fo the throttle to clean out whatever extra fuel got dumped in and we're good to go!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ?

Dirty throttle body?!