Thread: Mod Help

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Mod Help

I am looking for an unusual mod for my RT Ltd.

I want to mount a very small camera on/in the trunk pointing backwards so I can see traffic behind me (something like a back up camera but able to see farther than 30' and have IR), the monitor will be mounted on the cowling between the dash and windshield.

So far every place that sells this type of equipment tell me it can't be done or the camera alone is going to cost over $1000, and about $500 for a monitor.

any ideas?

thx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTEThere is lots of stuff like that for rv's simple ones that are wireless and use a license plate bolt for the camera and are 199 or less
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

most back up cameras are either too big or don't see far enough behind to be of any good for what I am looking for

the licence plate style are no good as the are too low and would look like crap mounted on the trunk

I need a high rez camera and monitor about 4"x6" or so

Spyder Garage

Default Mod Help

Contact CYNCYSPYDER he has all the details you need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe CincySpyder?... (Dave)
    He's got a setup that he uses to keep an eye on Teddy.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

check out Phils mod: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-s-Mods/page7

scroll down the page and you will find his camera installation
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post

So far every place that sells this type of equipment tell me it can't be done or the camera alone is going to cost over $1000, and about $500 for a monitor.
    This is correct. To get distance with any appreciable field of view and resolution you are looking at complex optics and sensors. That cost $$$$. IR looking back is a waste of $$$. Anyone pulling up behind you with headlights on will saturate the IR sensor and possibly destroy it and all you will see on the display is bright white spots.

Use your mirrors to see what's behind and keep your eyes on the road in front of you.
    Last edited by DR Buck; 11-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it IS fun to put it in reverse at Stoplights and watch the eyeballs behind you get REAL big...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Duane... Is that you???

Spyder Garage

Also look up rear view cameras for travel trailers.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

You are in "Western Canada", a rather large area !!
    Check Canadian Tire, they have 3 Backup Cameras under $200.
    Also Costco.ca lists one for $69.99 and looks like the ones on Ebay.

John
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post

I want to mount a very small camera on/in the trunk pointing backwards so I can see traffic behind me (something like a back up camera but able to see farther than 30' and have IR), the monitor will be mounted on the cowling between the dash and windshield.

any ideas?

thx
    they have one at wal mart goes on liceplate wire liss ties into your running lights you can see great have one on truck and bike

Spyder Garage

Default NUTZ

b4 u go NUTZ wit drill'n holes in u'r Tupperware for mount'n u'r cam... find an existing 'fastener' on your SPYD3R that u can utilize for mount'n...

mine is a SPORTS CAM, n i found the ideal spot for it, left side just b'lo the R-Vu mirror... mine looks forward, which duzn't mat'a... resale value goes waaaaaaaaaaaaay down when u try 2 sell it wit HOLES in it... good luck with u'r mod... post some pix afta it's finish'd...
    004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg
    263.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hammacher-Schlemmer (SP?) is listing a rearview camera for bicycle use in their latest catalog... A possibilty perhaps?

Spyder Garage

I have a GoPro on my right front mirror the video is great!! going to look at x-mass lights soon. i mite mount it to look back just to see what it looks like.
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Default GoPro

Quote Originally Posted by my3gs View Post
    I have a GoPro on my right front mirror the video is great!! going to look at x-mass lights soon. i mite mount it to look back just to see what it looks like.
    I've been wanting to mount my GoPro directly on my but am not sure where the best place would be. Do you have any pics of how you mounted it on the right front mirror and maybe a video? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

i wiil get a pic for ya and a video if i can figerout how to get it on here i used a mount with a slight curve put it on the right side so i could turn it on an off easly.i just got a suction cup for it so i mite try an face it backwords just to see what it looks like
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by my3gs View Post
    i wiil get a pic for ya and a video if i can figerout how to get it on here i used a mount with a slight curve put it on the right side so i could turn it on an off easly.i just got a suction cup for it so i mite try an face it backwords just to see what it looks like

Appreciate it. Was the curved mount the curved helmet mount that came with the GoPro?

Spyder Garage

Here is a pic of my mount am working on a video
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default GoPro Mount

Thank you for the pic. It is the curved helmet mount you used. I'm not crazy about the mount being a permanent fixture on the mirror. The suction cup mount seems to be the way to go. More options for placement available on .