Thread: Heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated grips.

When I use my heated grips on my RT, the right hand gets drastically hotter than the left. I realize that probably sounds sounds petty, but the problem is serious. If I turn them on, even on low, within minutes the throttle hand its too hot to hold, even with a glove. I have to turn them off just to keep riding. The left hand seems to be fine. Any ideas of the problem ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

is it as hot on high? Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that it is possible to wire it backwards.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What kind of heated grips? Aftermarket or factory? The two most common causes of the right grip heating up more than the left are:

1. Your throttle hand is usually on the grip more than your clutch hand.

2. The right grip is installed over a plastic throttle tube, while the left is on the metal handlebar - which acts like a big heat sink on the left and an insulator on the right.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=shelbydave;542554]is it as hot on high? Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that it is possible to wire it backwards.[/QUO

Good thought, and thanks for checking a wiring diagram. I just did about a half hour of experimentation. The right side doesn't seem to change regardless of the high or low setting, Its too hot to hold. The left performs as it should, and doesnt ever get as hot as the right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think it's common for the right side to get hotter than the left but not as much hotter as yours seems to be. My right side is hotter than the left and others have posted the same thing. But mine isn't a real problem. Both sides on mine actually get too hot to leave them on all the time, even on low, unless the weather is very cold so I normally turn them on and off as needed.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

It sounds like a wiring issue to me. The grip should not be too hot to touch--even with gloves on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Switch hands.

Chris

Spyder Garage

You may have a faulty heater or connection. See your dealer. There is usually a slight difference, since the right is usually designed to be a bit hotter to compensate for the throttle tube, but there should not be that much difference. A short circuit that did not allow some of the heating elements to turn off on LOW would cause a problem like this. The HIGH setting is typically too hot...for me at least. BTW, these were not designed to use without gloves. They will always be too hot that way.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Switch hands.

Chris
    Logic! I love it! Works every time!

Now, do I detach my hands at the wrists, elbows or shoulders?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Sometimes when using the heated hand grips on low and wearing gloves my hands get too hot , I find that I am gripping the handlebars too tight especially my right hand. When I loosen my grip , my hands are cooler .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been considering putting heated grips on my 08' RS, the husband says they are to much of a pain an not worth the hassle. What is y'all's thinking on this? And where is the best place to purchase them if I decide to do it anyway (probably will)

I have heard they are awesome for helping with hand fatigue when riding for long stretches

Spyder Garage

You can get a temp gun pretty cheap now days and it's a nice tool to have on hand. This way you could shoot the grip and see how much hotter it really is or isn't.
    http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperatur.../dp/B002YE3FS4

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blondespyder View Post
    I have been considering putting heated grips on my 08' RS, the husband says they are to much of a pain an not worth the hassle. What is y'all's thinking on this? And where is the best place to purchase them if I decide to do it anyway (probably will)

I have heard they are awesome for helping with hand fatigue when riding for long stretches
    Love my heated grips and never plan on owning a bike without them that I plan on riding in the cold. There are plenty of options out there. I would google it and see what works for you price wise.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Love my heated grips and never plan on owning a bike without them that I plan on riding in the cold. There are plenty of options out there. I would google it and see what works for you price wise.

Thank you! Are the majority of the ones available online compatible with the RS?

Spyder Garage

Thank you to both Ron and Doc Bob for putting a smile on my face. Laughter is medicinal.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The other trick to making heated grips more efficient, is to wrap the left bar with one layer of electrical tape prior to installing the grip. As for heated grips on the RS, standard motorcycle grips work fine. Just be sure to hook it up to a switched supply. The plastic covers on the RS bars provide an ideal spot for the on/off switches.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Alot of good thoughts, thank you. As far as switching hands, I did actually sit in the driveway with the spyder running while I crossed my arms and grabbed opposite grips. Just wanted tp make sure one hand wasnt more sensitive than the other. I will get the laser thermostat and so I have some real numbers.

Spyder Garage

Default Real Numbers

I got the laser thermometer, which is very accurate. The various sections of the handgrips fluctuate greatly, so these temps are from the hottest point of the grips. With the grip setting on high, left grip 161.4, right grip 191.6. Then I went to the low setting, and waited 5 minutes. Left grip 156.0, right grip 185.5.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait a minute... you need heated grips, in Las Vegas NV? I'd be going for the A/C option personally.
    JLohPhotos

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    I got the laser thermometer, which is very accurate. The various sections of the handgrips fluctuate greatly, so these temps are from the hottest point of the grips. With the grip setting on high, left grip 161.4, right grip 191.6. Then I went to the low setting, and waited 5 minutes. Left grip 156.0, right grip 185.5.
    That's sounding like a wiring issue - maybe both the low and high coils are getting power at the same time. Looking at the wiring diagram, it may be possible to do that, but it also seems as if a fuse would be blowing if this were the case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You might want to add grip puppies. It will insulate it some but they will still get warm.
    2012 Spyder RT