Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tell me why you love your RS/GS...

I am purchasing my first Spyder early next year and have always wanted an RSS, however with the addition of the ST models to the lineup, it makes me question which would be better suited for me. It seems as though many spyder owners start on the RS but eventually move up to an RT, or modify their RS to be more comfortable for longer rides.

I have been riding motorcycles for 15 years, over that time I have owned 7 different bikes, most sport bikes. As I get older, that seating position is getting uncomfortable for more than an hour or two ride. I am a weekend rider, I never ride to work.

I like the looks of the RS the most, but the new ST is growing on me.

Please give me your thoughts on your experience with the RS/GS, and the riding position for your height.

I am 5'7".

Spyder Garage

I have a 09 rs and I am about your same height. I love the sport feel of the stock position but like you said it gets to be a pain after about 45 minutes of riding. I am going to be adding a adjustable 4 inch riser to my spyder this winter to help with that. I'm going with the adjustable so I can change it when I know I'm gonna ride for a distance. If I had the money I would jump on the ST for sure.

Spyder Garage

Think of it this way, which look appeals to you more...the stock ST or an RS with a large windshield added on, footboards, and handlebar risers? If you need the comfort factors, it is better to get them built in, than to tack on a lot of accessories. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

I love my RS because of it's sporty look. Being 5'5" it fits be beautifully and I like the more aggressive forward stance of the RS. I now have over 11,000 miles on it since this past April and there have only be a couple of times I was uncomfortable - it was over 100* and we were doing a 500+ mile day that may have had more to do with it than the stance?! I was planning on putting on risers because my husband has the 1" BRP riser and the 3" handlebar risers (he's 6'6") and that is what I was used to riding with but when I got my Spyder I thought I'd keep it stock for the first 600 or so miles and I ended up liking it just the way it is.

You really need to try them both to see what truly fits you and think of the type of riding you want to do. The ST is what Butch basically turned his into with after market mods to make it more of a sporty touring ride.

Gook luck on your decision and look forward to seeing what Spyder you end up with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

I'm almost 5'7" and have ridden my RSS both stock and with 3" risers and highway pegs. I keep the sport windshield on it whenever it's warm enough because I just like the look best on the sporty RSS, so windshield isn't a big factor for me. I definitely like the risers for rides over 100 miles or so. I'm not sure I have the pegs in quite the right position yet, but it is an improvement for stretching out your legs. My biggest wish on my RSS now is the comfort seat and I think most GS/RS would agree the stock seat is not great. And much as I *really* want some of the fancier features on the ST (audio, heated handgrips, etc), I can honestly say I've appreciated the simplicity of the RSS.

Having said all that, the ST is a VERY nice ride and I really liked the floorboards. It's still sporty, but much more comfortable "out the box." I love the look and can't wait to get back on one. I'm thinking your buying decision is going to be based partly on economics and partly just on how much you like one look over the other. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

5'7" is a great height for the RS. I,m 6,0 and need the 3 inch riser.
    The RS Pre 2013 is the fastest accelerating of ALL at 160 pounds lighter than the ST.
    I love the RS for the shear acceleration and lightness.
    I also love my RT because its more comfortable and still has Good Performance.
    Sit on both and test drive both if you can and you will Know!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have an 08 GS and as was stated by Faran, the only comfort change I felt I needed was to swap out the stock seat for a comfort seat. I don't have any risers or footpegs and it is comfortable enough for me and I am 6' tall. I've done 1K mile days my last few long trips and other than stopping for gas and stretching I haven't been uncomfortable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 5' 8" and 70 years old. The comfort related mods I have done on my GS-SE5 are: 1 inch BRP riser, homemade brake pedal extender, Kewl Metal brackets with Kury highway pegs, BRP sport shield and foam rubber handlebar grip covers. With this setup, I ride as far as I like without discomfort, but everybody is different. It seems to me that comfort levels have more to do with the rider than the machine. Some folks are miserable in conditions that others just shrug off without worry. Know your own tolerance level and you will know which Spyder is right for you.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

well...I'm only 5' 1/2"...so the height is different....I rode my RS for about 3,000 miles before doing anything...wanted to make sure what I wanted.....1st thing I put on Safety lights...all reflectors now lights along with triple play, running and blinker, brake lights.....then we went to the 4 inch risers....changed from stock pegs to Kyryakyn spider pegs...they are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide....and you can adjust foot postion.....played with that for another 10,000 miles and went to Corbin seat with gas door moved forward 2"s and wish it was 3"s...the Corbin will change the seat postion a little....

but if you plan to ride more than around town you will want an aftermarket seat...lots of good ones out there....I got Corbin for the gas door...pain to undue everything when traveling...just to get gas....

The ST vs RS will be a matter of how you plan to ride...around town...or weekend trips...or travel...do you plan to have a passenger? ST will be more comfortable for traveling and weekend trips and with passenger....RS/RSS if around town and no passenger...floorboars are a plus...the 2013 are more responsive than earlier models (stock) plus...the 2013 have more advance shocks, brakes and sway bar...but if you have owned other bikes...do you change to after markets or leave it stock? It's such a personal adventure...

I want to take a stock bike and change it up to make it mine...that's just me...good luck...it all an adventure

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the insights.

Honestly, I haven't sat on a spyder since 2009. I guess I'll need to sit on the RS and ST back to back, to know for sure. I like the fact that the RS is lighter, but the ST has features that I may appreciate in the long run. I'm happy to have a choice, I am not interested in the RT, so until now, it would have been the RS or nothing.

Now which transmission do you recommend...

Lol, I'm sure that debate has been done to death.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty soon your shopping is going to have to get serious...
    Just a thought... Adding a whole lot of stuff to the RS to prepare it for the long-haul, vs buying fuel to keep an ST out on the road gathering up miles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What type of bikes do/did you ride? What type of ridding?
    Pic your on a Ducati 1198 your preference may differ from if your coming from a street glide bagger etc

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST

I am 100% RS without the doubt, all i want to be changed / aded on is bigger,more powerful engine, bigger tank and factory handbrake, rest i am more than happy to customise myself
    having said that
    ST seems to be design exactly for people like you = best of both worlds - sport and comfort, RT is for , ehm, earlier born should i say folks, ehmm,
    give it a test ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RS(T)

RS owner. 5'9" and a die hard sport bike rider. For someone used to VFR's, Ducati, and Gixxers etc the RS is well.. pretty near a touring trike without the barcalounger look. The riding position of the RS is similar to a naked bike, say the Speed Triple; upright torso with your legs folded underneath your hips. I added a 1" riser block to put me above the sport windshield where the helmet is in quieter clean air. I have added the Givi bags and top case and the comfort seat. I also have a 26" touring windscreen for long trips; the touring part of the RS. I figure I can ride all day long with the RS's ergonomics...that is until I get bad knees or whatnot, and when the ST may be in the upgrade plans.
    Last edited by asp125; 11-21-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default RSS

I love my RSS. However, I have added 4 inch risers, ultra touring windshield, sport rack, passenger backrest, saddlebags, and highway pegs. I will be adding passenger footpeg extensions and a comfort seat for my wife in the near future. If the ST would have been available when I bought my RSS, I probably would have gone with the ST. I really wish I had the cruise control and adjustable windshield. I have spent a lot of money on upgrades that I wouldn't have had to do with an ST. On the other hand, mods are part of the fun!

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

I am 5'4" and I have a 2012 RS. One of the first mods I did was the seat, then it was all down hill from there lol! I like the sportiness of the RS. I did a demo ride on both the RS and the RT and I just felt too 'old' on the RT (sorry ) I like how it's lighter, you can definitely tell a difference with that as well. My suggestion to you is take the RS and the ST out for demo rides then decide from there. I could have picked an RSS, but the way I looked at it was why spend the extra $$$ on factory parts such as shocks when I could spend half of the money and buy something that was custom that I liked a whole lot better and it kept my payment lower also.

As for as manual or electric, I prefer manual. I like the engine braking and gearing down. If I want to get on it, I have the beauty of getting into the gears. I took a course this summer for 3 wheelers and there were some GS's in it that were electric clutch and they both had high temp/overheating issues. The only thing we could think of is that it was because they had different transmissions. The one girls bike actually shut off it got so hot.

Just my opinion, only you will know what is right for you. Keep us posted on your decision. Below are some of the mods I've made, most are just purely cosmetic but none the less make my bike look unique!
    Spyder with HMF exhaust 11-16-12.jpg
    Last edited by JaymeG33; 11-21-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hold on a minute, I maybe should have mentioned that I am 40yo, enough with the 'old' comments, lol.

I am definitely leaning toward the RS-S, but I'll have to check out the ST as well.

Thanks for all the great info!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

40???
    Oh, to be 40 again!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's what is parked in my shed.

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamike View Post
    Hold on a minute, I maybe should have mentioned that I am 40yo, enough with the 'old' comments, lol.

I am definitely leaning toward the RS-S, but I'll have to check out the ST as well.

Thanks for all the great info!
    LOL! I meant that the RT made ME feel old hahaha. I'm 36, so not far from 40 myself!

Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder RS (my second). But on each of these I have had to add the things that will be coming standard on an ST. If I were in the market I would wait and buy the ST just because the factory original parts will probably operate better together than after market parts that have been added on.

The downsides to an ST are 1) the wait, 2) the price and 3) the decrease in horsepower. In that order of importance.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Default no right or wrong answer

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You won't regret either because at the end of the day you have a spyder. I am 6'4 and 290 and I have a RS-S. I only have a 175 miles on it but I can now say that a little more leg room on the ST-s would be a nice feature, but the added cost of the ST-S would not be such a nice feature . Once I get highway pegs and sound(music) in my helmet I will be pretty darn satisfied. From what all the people on here that have rode the ST say, the differences are worth the wait so if you have the extra "dough" then go for the ST limited and get the best of both worlds.

Spyder Garage

Cool to be specific...

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You won't regret either because at the end of the day you have a spyder. I am 6'4 and 290 and I have a RS-S. I only have a 175 miles on it but I can now say that a little more leg room on the ST-s would be a nice feature, but the added cost of the ST-S would not be such a nice feature . Once I get highway pegs and sound(music) in my helmet I will be pretty darn satisfied. From what all the people on here that have rode the ST say, the differences are worth the wait so if you have the extra "dough" then go for the ST limited and get the best of both worlds.
    ...to be specific, the reason I love my spyder has not been shown yet. What I mean by that is that I bought my spyder to take long rides and enjoy more closely the sites that God has built and the ones he has gifted man the knowledge to build. I look forward to the ride(s) that I will take where I will look to my left or right and see a mountain or beautiful land that seems to extend beyond my eye sight. I look forward to traveling over a bridge and see water for miles and miles. I imagine that with the right soundtrack playing in my ear it would be even more awesome. So if it is in your budget, get the one you want and make new memories with family, friends, and even with just you and your spyder. Life(each day) is a blessing.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I always like to ride motorcycles. Now that we are retired we like the ride and the handling of our 2011 RS-S SE5. We made a sport/touring out of it and it easy to ride long distances with. We ride the Spyder more we did our motorcycles.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    What did you do or add to it in order to transform it into a Sport-Tourer?