Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Hmm

hi all when i first bought my spyder i thought i would need a hand-brake so i organised a cable hand-brake ($200 VS $1400 hydralic ) but after a couple of hundred miles i realised i didnt need it so when the parts turned up they went into storage, i was wrong and now i dont miss the hand-brake at all.
    cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    .....Even when I rode two wheels I used the rear footbrake 90% of the time......
    Unless the motorcycle has integrated brakes, you are missing over half of your braking power if you do that. 60%-70% of your braking ability comes from the front brake on a two wheeler. Both brakes should be used for maximum braking force.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would think that folks would remember this one after all of these years...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Unless the motorcycle has integrated brakes, you are missing over half of your braking power if you do that. 60%-70% of your braking ability comes from the front brake on a two wheeler. Both brakes should be used for maximum braking force.
    Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. That wasn't exactly the point I was trying to make with the rest of my comment, but you are correct sir as usual. I ammended my post accordingly.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

I guess that's why I favor both a hand and foot brake. I realize that the Spyder's braking is balanced across the front and rear brakes by the ABS and is totally controlled by the foot pedal. I just feel the hand lever is an extra measure of safety. As was pointed out, it appears the predominant rider group for Spyders is us ol' Senior citizens who once or still do ride a two wheeler(in reference to grabbin' air.) Anyway, this is a good discussion. On another note, the new Brembo brakes on the 2013 models will really haul them down.
    Last edited by OldDog; 11-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well this has been fun...
    Thanks for pulling this topic out again!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default I know , I know, this is old news (Hand Brake lever)

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    Perhaps we should put hand brakes in cars as well!

Seriously, the above comment should be reflected on carefully.
    I agree it should be reflected on carefully. Would this same logic apply to ATGATT? I think not.

If the rider feels more secure adding (or even feeling the need for a hand brake), then that is hardly cause to say he is riding "scared". Simply a foolish comment from my vantage. Otherwise, one could extend that logic to any safety measures that riders take. I have a hand brake and I'd feel pretty secure saying I don't ride scared.

I completely agree with Papoandma. I have been presented with emergency braking measures when not "in traffic". To think that just because you are on the open road that nothing can cause the need for emergency braking is not wise. I, like many others have impairments on my right side that caused me concern in an emergency braking situation with a right foot only brake. So I added the ISCI, and didn't mind the cost one bit. It does what I need perfectly.

I don't think it should necessarily be a standard factory option, but I do think it is a good idea for those of us who need it or even want it. Just as ATGATT is a good idea for those who feel the need.

But to infer that Papoandma is "riding scared" is a bit of a reach. We might also want to consider this, when those of us on the board tout any added safety measure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Steve,
    If I may explain...
    This discussion was starting to become a "Let's point out all of the dangers on the road" flavor. I was just trying to cork that bottle before we got mired in all of the horror stories that we all know are out there...

So Papoandma,
    I wasn't trying to say that you guys were riding scared; I was just trying to get away from that portion of the topic... sorry!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default I know , I know, this is old news (Hand Brake lever)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Steve,
    If I may explain...
    This discussion was starting to become a "Let's point out all of the dangers on the road" flavor. I was just trying to cork that bottle before we got mired in all of the horror stories that we all know are out there...

So Papoandma,
    I wasn't trying to say that you guys were riding scared; I was just trying to get away from that portion of the topic... sorry!
    No worries Bob. It just caught me wrong I suppose. I could just imagine the uproar if that comment was made about other safety measures.

I should also point out that I am in favor of a hand brake with the caviat that the integrated system is maintained.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also like the idea of the handbrake system...
    I know that someday; bad legs will force my hand.
    But until then...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    Seems like a matter of choice. If you want a hand brake you are welcome to add one on but if you don't want one your not being forced to have it. Much easier to add a brake than to remove one. Personally I like the integrated braking system on the spyder. JMHO.
    On a Spyder the handbrake is intergrated into all wheel braking the handbrake doesn't interfere with the foot brake at all of you didn't want to use it you don't have to if for some reason it bugged you one bolt and the lever could be gone like I said before if it was on all production it would cost very little at that level ,I have one and I notice that in quick stops I use both it gives me more force and my hand is pulling a instant before my foot is pushing it handbrake should be there if you don't want it don't use it but it sure wouldn't hurt a thing if it was there
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I both still ride motorcycles and use the front brake all the time; 80% of the stopping power is up front (sportbikes). At first we thought it was stupid of Can Am to not include a front brake. Coming from making snowmobiles, it must've never occurred to BRP to need a hand brake. But after a few months I can only recall one instance (yellow light) where I grabbed air and stopped well into the crosswalk. Agreed a handbrake option would be great for owners coming off motorcycles, it's more ingrained in their muscle memory. If there was a group buy or ISCI can come down below $1K I might consider putting one on. Until then I'll train my right leg.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I remember a mistake I made a number of years ago. I was turning around in the middle of the street and for whatever reason I tapped the front brake. Down I went immediately. My riding buddies laughed. No harm done except my pride. At parking lot speeds use the rear brake. At higher speeds the majority of the braking is done by the front brakes. My mind thinks of highsides and lowsides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    ...I understand BRP's reasoning for not supplying it standard. I certainly understand the need of a front brake for those with physical constraints. I'd like to hear more comments.
    I haven't yet seen BRP's reason for not supplying it standard. The only responses from them I am aware of is that they have no plan to add one. If anyone knows their reasoning, as they have stated it, I'd sure like to know too.

My 2001 Goldwing has integrated braking with ABS, but Honda kept the hand brake lever. It's not new technology at all to two wheelers.

I, for one, would love to have it for the same reason I have it on the Goldwing. It's another option when my foot is away from the foot brake. Have I bought it? No, and may not, unless I get a great price on it. It's a risk vs. benefit vs. cost thing to me.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was unhappy with my reaction time using the foot brake until I extended the length of the foot pedal to bring it closer to my foot's riding position. Now that I no longer have to twist my leg to apply the brake, I am perfectly content to be without a handbrake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just added a new, larger top to the pedal... Brake Pedal Comparison.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default me 2

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    No worries Bob. It just caught me wrong I suppose. I could just imagine the uproar if that comment was made about other safety measures.

I should also point out that I am in favor of a hand brake with the caviat that the integrated system is maintained.

We have big deer that can jump out from the trees 20 feet from the narrow crappy hiway and at 60 mph there is no reaction time. If my feet are a foot away fromthe brake it is all over. Sorry to hijack the thread.
    2012 RT LTD SE5 LAVA BRONZE
    Mods:
    Baker airwings
    Butler mugholder
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Ultimate Tallboy seat
    Diamond R passenger armrest
    Bajaron anti-sway bar
    HMT brake light
    Diamond R premium floorboards and pegs (front and rear)

Spyder Garage

It should probably be pointed out that BRP doesn't equip the Spyders with highway pegs (or offer them as an accessory), so they don't expect your foot to be away from the brake pedal. For sport bike and sport touring riders, much the same logic would apply, most don't have highway pegs, so their feet are always near the brake pedals. BRP has never recommends against either accessory, but they have just elected not to offer them. That is their prerogative, and it hasn't seemed to slow the sales of Spyders. Those that want or need them will add them, and the rest will use the money they saved for something else.

BTW, I'm not sure why BRP would need to explain why they made that decision, any more than the various automakers feel the need to explain why they put their cupholders where they did (or failed to do so).
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And why don't they offer the RTs in GREEN???

Spyder Garage

And why don't they offer the RTs in GREEN???
    .....or pink, or purple, or powder blue, or orange, etc. Henry Ford had the right idea..."Any color so long as it is black." He knew that nobody would be satisfied anyway.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was only mentioning green since that might have saved Sparks from a wintertime chore...
    We buy them the way that they're sold; then we spend the rest of the time complaining why they're not the way we wanted them in the frist place, and trying to re-make them to our own specifications!

Spyder Garage

I was only mentioning green since that might have saved Sparks from a wintertime chore...
    We buy them the way that they're sold; then we spend the rest of the time complaining why they're not the way we wanted them in the frist place, and trying to re-make them to our own specifications!
    See, Henry Ford was right. You can't please everyone anyhow, so why not just tick everybody off.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I should preface my previous statement...
    The MIssus and I wanted a Blue RT-S SE-5...
    none could be found...
    We ended up with a Blue A&C SE-5
    (Two out of three ain't bad!)
    I spent two years turning it into the RT-S that I originally wanted...

I didn't complain about why they didn't have any when I was in the mood to buy; I just dug in and got busy!

Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    How do those of you with lots of miles on a Spyder feel about no hand brake lever? What is BRP's reason for not providing it? Should Spyders come standard with a hand brake lever in addition to the foot brake pedal? If enough people asked for it, could it become a reality? I guess I should ask ,is this something people want or am I just rambling?
    +I've got 55k on mine and it's been my chief complaint. I even specifically referenced it in that phone survey several weeks ago. With 600k of two-wheeled riding preceding it, it's clearly missed. Regardless that BRP specifically stated this isn't a motorcycle and they weren't marketing to motorcyclists, the presumption that the rider's ass is going to remain in place during any given emergency braking (and possibly, avoidance action) is ludicrous. If you're bounced out of the saddle for any reason, hang on. If a long-time two-wheeled rider claims it's unnecessary, they're lying to you. Without adequate adjustability of the peg/brake setup, which allows the rider to comfortably cover the rear brake under normal circumstances, I observe most riders in a relaxed stance with their right toes dangling to the side, inhibiting their reaction time. The toes should be floating above the brake pedal. Someone else already mentioned the inability to maneuver the bike at a walking pace; it's a pain to use the pedal on the right side, and it's impossible to use it from the left.

Too many reasons for them not to include it...

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    ... I don't miss the brake lever at all, nor do I think it is a hazard not to have one. Yes, I will occasionally "grab air" in a quick stop...so what? It does no harm...
    +In an emergency braking situation, you are well aware that the grab air moment could mean the difference in whether there is no harm.

Ride on.
    Roadkill