Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I know , I know, this is old news (Hand Brake lever)

I know this is an old and much discussed topic. Is there a legal reason for not putting a factory hand brake on the Spyder? Is it to keep the Spyder from being defined as a motorcycle rather than a roadster? With all the technology that is already on the Spyder , why not a dual braking system? This has probably already been discussed ad nauseam. I'm curious. I'd say the majority of the people on this forum have had previous motorcycle experience and had to unlearn a few things. I have read of several incidences where a hand brake would have saved a rollback, for instance. I know this is a dead horse.
    Last edited by OldDog; 11-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even though it's dead; there must be some good meat somewhere on this carcass!
    Can Am may have been looking at trying to keep the roadster from being classified as a motorcycle, but it didn't seem to work out as planned.
    I asked some Reps if there had been any discussions or plans to put a handbrake on future models....
    "No plans" was the terse response that I got.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why easy

Being that most Spyder owners are up in age,
    BRP didn't want an extra lever on the handlebar to confuse them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Being that most Spyder owners are up in age,
    BRP didn't want an extra lever on the handlebar to confuse them.
    Like all the buttons don't do that already!!!! AND IT STILL DOESN'T HAVE A CUP HOLDER!!!

Spyder Garage

Why spend money when the design doesn't call for it?

A two wheeled cycle probably requires independent braking but three wheels offer stability so that combined braking makes sense.... probably would have added $600-700 to the manufacturing cost of the Spyder.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought the $1400 dollar handbrake... as was mentioned in an earlier thread , I was grabbing for the hand brake as I was rolling backwards ..automatic.. actually put my feet down to stop

When I was riding BMW sport bikes.. someone said "nice helmet" how much did you pay for it? I said a shade under $500... they said "why?" you can get a DOT Helmet for arond $100... I said I don't have a $100 head... that's the way I feel about paying $1400 for a hand brake.. my life is worth more than $1400... and $1400 wouldn't even begin to pay the hospital, if i wrecked.. and was stomping around trying to find the foot brake... artificial right leg I have.. hit or miss..

Spyder Garage

How do those of you with lots of miles on a Spyder feel about no hand brake lever? What is BRP's reason for not providing it? Should Spyders come standard with a hand brake lever in addition to the foot brake pedal? If enough people asked for it, could it become a reality? I guess I should ask ,is this something people want or am I just rambling?
    Last edited by OldDog; 11-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think they should pardner with ISCI.. these people have the real deal.. there is no reason NOT to have back up breaking.. If the Can AM is slated for Boomers.. they grew up on motorcycles...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    How do those of you with lots of miles on a Spyder feel about no hand brake lever? What is BRP's reason for not providing it? Should Spyders come standard with a hand brake lever in addition to the foot brake pedal? If enough people asked for it, could it become a reality? I guess I should ask ,is this something people want or am I just rambling?
    I ride lots of bikes, and ride the Spyders even more. I will admit that I am used to "switch hitting", riding bikes with and without clutches, brakes on the right or left, turn signals (if any) in different locations, etc. I don't miss the brake lever at all, nor do I think it is a hazard not to have one. Yes, I will occasionally "grab air" in a quick stop...so what? It does no harm. I don't have a bike with integrated brakes, so I would never, ever grab just the brake lever. Since I am always using my foot anyway, my reaction time is the same, Spyder or bike. At first, I worried that I would forget to use the front brake when I switched back to a bike, but that has never happened. It would be a valid argument for some owners, I guess. Like driving your car instead of your Spyder, the mind and body change their reactions to accommodate your situation, so you will go for the proper controls if you are aware and skilled. It is important to understand the machine's limitations, and make sure you can reach the brake if pushing the Spyder or rolling it (especially on a slope), but the same would go for pushing your car in the driveway. You need to be aware of what you ride, familiar with its equipment, and comfortable with its operation. That's why BRP has included a skills course in the owners guide. When you get a Spyder, do some parking lot practice until you are comfortable and familiar with the controls and the Spyder's reactions. It is a simple matter of learning. If you feel the need for a hand lever, buy the ISCI. Why should everyone pay the extra money for the lever, when only certain owners want one and the Spyder is perfectly safe and functional without it? You don't think that BRP would have given it away for free, do you? JMHO
    Last edited by NancysToy; 11-14-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty. I reached for the handbrake for awhile after beginning to ride the Spyder but now I don't. It hasn't affected me when going back to bikes with handbrakes. But I do believe that if a rider feels like they would be safer with a handbrake that may be a good option for them.

For whatever reason the CanAm designers/engineers decided to go the way they did is fine with me. It's their best thinking on how to get the job done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i agree it perfectly safe without one.. but recent accidents visited.. where the individual said they went grabbing and his wife hit the ground.. and those of us with legs missing... they offer clutches for the standard shifts.. ... why not hand brakes? I have no problem paying the 1400 bucks ...for the hand brake... works for me... the Spyder is not perfect.. that is why there are aftermarket people that understand.

Spyder Garage

A good subject for discussion. I am 100% in agreement with what Scotty says.

I have over 50,000 miles on 's and at least 250,000 miles on two wheelers. I have not missed the handbrake at all. The fact that we have ABS, IMO, makes up for the lack of a handbrake. When I was driving both flavors of motorcycle, I just made sure I put the right hat on before climbing aboard. I have never had a situation where I grabbed for air when I wanted to stop quickly when riding the .

For me, the lack of a handbrake is not a safety issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I still reach for a hand brake every once in a while but not nearly as often as I used to. I wish I had one but I'm not willing to pay what the ISCI brake costs and I don't think it's a safety issue at all. I went dirt riding on my dirt bike last week and, like Scotty said, had no problem using the front brake even though it had been a while since I rode it. Your body and your muscles do whatever needs to be done depending on what you are operating.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    i agree it perfectly safe without one.. but recent accidents visited.. where the individual said they went grabbing and his wife hit the ground.. and those of us with legs missing... they offer clutches for the standard shifts.. ... why not hand brakes? I have no problem paying the 1400 bucks ...for the hand brake... works for me... the Spyder is not perfect.. that is why there are aftermarket people that understand.
    If the handbrake was just built into every production unit the cost would be next to nothing at that level it's the variant in the products that add the most to the cost look at cars and the options of a/c and power steering and windows once those were on all cars the cost was greatly minimized you can't hardly buy a new car without a/c the hand brake should be on all spyders and we should not even have to talk about it
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Im glad there is no handbrake. Me likes one foot one pedal. The "Kiss" Method !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also agree with Scotty.
    If you can't figure out how to adjust to something that's a little bit different; how'd you ever get this far in life?

Spyder Garage

I am 6-4,and the only reason I am thinking about a hand brake is when my feet are way up on the road pegs it takes a little bit to get my legs folded back up and on the brake. Otherwise I don't miss the hand brake.
    2012 RT LTD SE5 LAVA BRONZE
    Mods:
    Baker airwings
    Butler mugholder
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Ultimate Tallboy seat
    Diamond R passenger armrest
    Bajaron anti-sway bar
    HMT brake light
    Diamond R premium floorboards and pegs (front and rear)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papoandma View Post
    I am 6-4,and the only reason I am thinking about a hand brake is when my feet are way up on the road pegs it takes a little bit to get my legs folded back up and on the brake. Otherwise I don't miss the hand brake.

I have road pegs on the bike as well, but only use them when I'm on the road. Using the pegs in traffic, where you might have to use the brake quickly, is unsafe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    I have road pegs on the bike as well, but only use them when I'm on the road. Using the pegs in traffic, where you might have to use the brake quickly, is unsafe.

But on the road we have deer that can jump into the way, and you can't tell what the cagers are going to do sometimes. Things fall off car and trucks all the time.
    2012 RT LTD SE5 LAVA BRONZE
    Mods:
    Baker airwings
    Butler mugholder
    Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard
    Ultimate Tallboy seat
    Diamond R passenger armrest
    Bajaron anti-sway bar
    HMT brake light
    Diamond R premium floorboards and pegs (front and rear)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't ride scared; just alert...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps we should put hand brakes in cars as well!

Seriously, the above comment should be reflected on carefully.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Seems like a matter of choice. If you want a hand brake you are welcome to add one on but if you don't want one your not being forced to have it. Much easier to add a brake than to remove one. Personally I like the integrated braking system on the spyder. JMHO.
    Last edited by major911; 11-15-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    100%

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I know you'll get opinions on both sides of the fence. I understand the muscle and mind adaptation thing. I haven't driven a stick shift car for a number of years, but I can hop right in and drive it. My personal preference would be to have a hand brake. Would I buy one? I would have to answer that after getting some time in the saddle.

I understand BRP's reasoning for not supplying it standard. I certainly understand the need of a front brake for those with physical constraints. I'd like to hear more comments.