Spyder Garage

Default Painting Blue Trailer to Lava Bronze

Hi All
    Well last week I started taking the new Blue 2010 RT-622 trailer apart to paint it the color of my 2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze and so far things are going good. First day took off the entire 3M chip protector, BRP, Can-Am emblems, took out all the carpet and plastic panels, Side marker lights, tail lights and rear lock assy.

The next day I started sanding with 400 wet/dry sand paper and water on the two doors after completing those I removed them and set them aside. Next started sanding the body BRP didn’t put but about two coats of clear over the color coat had to be careful not to sand thru the color down to the fiber glass any way got most it done and then decided to remove the body off the frame and set it on some saw horses so I could get to the bottom better. The body actually sets down over the frame and with it on the ground very hard to sand much less paint. This thing is very simple to take apart and put back together now I am trying to decide if I am going attempt to paint it with the Waterborne PPG paint or let someone charge me $600.00 to paint it for me. I have done a lot of DuPont Base Coat / Clear Coat painting with solvent based paint but I have never tried Waterborne. Oh well either way it’s ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Good pictures and thanks for the explanation! Since I'm a "rattle can" kind of mess-maker, this was VERY informative.
    Can't wait to see the finished results!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Use solvent based paint and do it yourself. If your worried about any compatability problems put a coat of sealer down first. Save the money and do it yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Great work, but 400 grit seems a bit on the brutal side to me for the clear coat.... JMHO
    400 Wet/Dry is the minmum to use with WATER to scuff the clear so the new base coat of the new paint will adhere if you have never tried it; it sounds a bit harsh but when you use water it really comes out smooth.
    Last edited by Lava Flow; 11-14-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    Use solvent based paint and do it yourself. If your worried about any compatability problems put a coat of sealer down first. Save the money and do it yourself.
    The problem is that I haven't been able to find a solvent base paint for this color from BPR or Dupont, when I had the number checked at a PPG paint store 931120 it didn't cross to any other paint. So BRP has a corner on that color I also emailed BRP with no him from their Troubleshooting tech's either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    The problem is that I haven't been able to find a solvent base paint for this color from BPR or Dupont, when I had the number checked at a PPG paint store 931120 it didn't cross to any other paint. So BRP has a corner on that color I also emailed BRP with no him from their Troubleshooting tech's either.
    I just took the side panel off the spyder to Classic Color in Loganville, Ga where they Spectragraphed it and color matched to a solvent base paint. Turned out fine.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I had a black 2010 color matched to lava bronze. I strip it down but didn't have to sand or prep. Body shop did all prep, paint for $450

now you have prepped it call around for a deal by a body shop

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate the info.
    I may be painting my Spyder over the winter and look forward to any tips that folks like you have.
    A matching RED?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice; very nice indeed!
    I ran into a fellow down here who paints Spyders; whatever color you want!
    He's got a shop in Rd Hook, NY

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I just took the side panel off the spyder to Classic Color in Loganville, Ga where they Spectragraphed it and color matched to a solvent base paint. Turned out fine.
    Thanks Double Trouble

That's why I put this out here I knew that someone would respond with some good info, if I can get the solvent based paint I can paint it myself. You have a phone # for them.

I love this site!!
    Last edited by Lava Flow; 11-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No.
    British Racing Green with the tan RT-Limited seat.
    I've found a new ride for you then... BRG MINI.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    Thanks Double Trouble

That's why I put this out here I knew that someone would respond with some good info, if I can get the solvent based paint I can paint it myself. You have a phone # for them.

I love this site!!
    Classic Auto Color
    5455 Georgia 20 Loganville, GA 30052
    (770) 466-8331

They mixed up the Lava Bronze for me back in early December, 2011 right after she took delivery of her RT Limited. They may still have a record of what they used to make that quart up for me. PM me if you need more information.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Be gentle - I'm brand new to the Spyder world.

Looking for an absolute color match in the Atl area? Talk with Paulee at a number you can find at pauleez.com. Not surprisingly, his email address is paulee@pauleez.com . Check out his website. His shop is up east near Buford.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Classic Auto Color
    5455 Georgia 20 Loganville, GA 30052
    (770) 466-8331

They mixed up the Lava Bronze for me back in early December, 2011 right after she took delivery of her RT Limited. They may still have a record of what they used to make that quart up for me. PM me if you need more information.
    Thanks for all the info and help with the paint project on the trailer, but after a lot of research talking to several body shops looking at my current schedule of projects around the house I decided it would be better just to drop the body and to doors off at Gerber Collision in Cartersville, GA and have them paint it.

After I called Classic Auto Color in Loganville Thanks for the info (Double Trouble they didn't keep your color on file) they wanted me to drop off one of the panels and leave it with them then they would call me when it was ready well I am not one to drive 65 miles one way to drop off a panel that would stop me from riding then wait for a week or so for them to call. That would have been a total of 200 mile trip and three to five days just to get the paint.

For me this worked out the best the prep work took about a day and a half dropped off the trailer body Monday it’ll be ready Wednesday or Thursday and I have been able to keep the Honey-do list going with no major conflicts so far. And what’s $600.00 when it comes to peace, quite, and harmony in the home place.

I’ll post some pics and let yah know what kind of a job they did when I get it back.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Painting Blue Trailer to Lava Bronze

My only other skill is tube radio repair.
    Good thing I'm retired.
    Ihave 3 old tube radios. A victrola, a westinghouse (bakelite), and a philco might need some new tubes

Sent from somewhere on the road.