Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Now you are talking...

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I can work with this. The price is great and it is just short enough that it shouldn't stick out over my 8 foot fence(my HOA doesn't play).

I completely get the concept of "you get what you pay for" or "look how much you spent on your spyder so don't cut corners", but the reality is the spyder for me is a luxury. It is not my everyday vehicle nor something I bought with money I had laying around. For me it is a real financial commitment to enjoying life more. Paying 1 or 2 grand on a new storage shed just isn't an option for me. Now of course I don't want anything happening to the spyder due to my negligence but everything has to be weighed out with my in home responsibilities. The spyder is greeeeeaaaaaat! but is secondary to Laila's mom and Laila's soon to be needs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Some questions to narrow down the choices:

- is it exposed to the elements where you intend to park it?
    - are there trees and limbs that could fall/drop onto the Spyder?
    - HOA restrictions as to the enclosure?
    - grass parking or concrete or dirt?
    - likelihood of damaging winds, hail, snow or ice?
    - critters, especially the nesting chewing kind?
    - it is exposed to the elements, unfortunately, if it isn't covered by something
    - no trees in my back yard so I am good there
    -HOA definitely has restrictions on what can be in the backyard and to make matters worse, I am on the board
    - I will have it on my patio area until I get the 10x10x8 shed in a box which I will ask the HOA for permission but it shouldn't be a problem since it shouldn't be higher than my fence in the front.
    -well hail, ice, snow are all possible here in Texas but normally never for long but I wouldn't want the spyder taking a chance. worse case scenario I can park in my mom's garage if weather was threatning the area
    -critters should not be an issue other than burd poop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Please help me understand something. You live in Texas so why would your truck need to be in the garage? You can ryde year round down there so this doesn't make any sense to me. How big is your garage?
    well the garage is a 2 car garage...My wife has a dodge durango(newer big body) that isn't going outside of the garage. I have an f150. They take up pretty much all of the space in there. I have just enough room to get my lawn mower out between those two vehicles. This is where I think I may disagree with most spyder owners. For me the "toy" is secondary to our main vehicles so the spyder may be brand new and the truck many years older but the truck gets me to work so the garage will be it's home in the winter. Now if things get real bad and I am not going to ride for a while then I will put the spyder in my mom's garage. I won't intentionally do anything to damage the spyder because I want it to last me for many problem free years.

Spyder Garage

Cool Great ideal

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I think the obvious solution here, is to simply ......... upgrade to a bigger garage. Perhaps a 3+ car garage.
    a three car garage really would end this whole conversation. Great point!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    a three car garage really would end this whole conversation. Great point!
    Na, That won't help for long, Eventually you'll fill it up and need a 4 car garage.
    I recently doubled the size of my barn so i would have more room for my Stuff,
    All that did was to give me more room to Stuff more Stuff in my already over Stuffed barn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there any room for some creative "stuffing" in your garage?
    We've got a two-car garage tht's got a bit of space between the vehicles. Lawnmowers and snowblowers also reside inside.
    Some careful arranging has allowed everyting to fit without incident!

But my truck would sit outside in a heartbeat if it had to come down to something sitting out!
    (time to head to Home Depot and look for a shed... Again!!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    I live in Texas too. Keep the RSS inside. The F150 will be fine outside.
    The Truck is better equipped to withstand the elements than the spyder.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

I have kept my spyder in the garage since I got it a few weeks ago. The time has come for the spyder to go to the back yard and my f-150 back in the garage. I know I need an outdoor cover. I found one real cheap online for $60. I have a RS-S. I will get the one from can-am if necessary but if I can save $140 then this is what I will go with. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder-...=pd_sbs_auto_5
    Dude a cainsaw and a hammer.. Cut a opening in the house and put that baby in the living room.. She will understand and you will love watching tv from your new easy chair..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That ought to be worth some VERY interesting dinner table discussions!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I get what you mean about relying on the vehicles that pays for your toy! My car stays in the garage as does the truck. Hail, wind, sun damage, and heat are horrible here. Our solution was an enclosed trailer that we managed to get fairly cheap . We use it for bike storage year round and for going to big rally's. so, the cost was very inexpensive considering how much we use it! Paid for itself within a year

this is a good time of year to look for an enclosed trailer and get a good price. So many people do their upgrading during the fall and winter months.

Craigs list could be your friend you may stumble upon a great deal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well the garage is a 2 car garage...My wife has a dodge durango(newer big body) that isn't going outside of the garage. I have an f150. They take up pretty much all of the space in there. I have just enough room to get my lawn mower out between those two vehicles. This is where I think I may disagree with most spyder owners. For me the "toy" is secondary to our main vehicles so the spyder may be brand new and the truck many years older but the truck gets me to work so the garage will be it's home in the winter. Now if things get real bad and I am not going to ride for a while then I will put the spyder in my mom's garage. I won't intentionally do anything to damage the spyder because I want it to last me for many problem free years.
    Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    The Truck is better equipped to withstand the elements than the spyder.
    Could you compromise and leave the F-150 out? I certainly understand wanting to keep the wife's vehicle inside - She's very important, and deserves the space if available. That being said, my "toys" are in the garage, and the daily drivers are outside. We have NEVER paid this much for a vehicle, or toy for that matter, and I want to keep it as well preserved as possible.

Maybe at least for this year, so you have more time to plan? I'd hate to see some sort of permanent damage as a result of making a hasty decision...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Nothing thats Not Very expensive is going to protect the Spyder like a Sealed Garage?
    I say leave the Truck outside and Be confident the Spyder is Not a Home for Critters ?
    My Ford Sport Trac stays out All Year and we get about 6 Feet of Snow Most winters!

My F 250 and Xterra sit out all winter, have a 3 car garage. Wish we only got 6 feet of snow!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is there any room for some creative "stuffing" in your garage?
    Currently our 2 car garage has the car, the Spyder and 5 motorcycles. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare trying to get the lawnmower out.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a goat! He'll be more than happy to live outside and keep the lawn short!
    You can then sell the mowers; freeing up more indoor space!
    Invite the goat to Thanksgiving dinner, and get a fresh one in the Spring!

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neutron View Post
    Dude a cainsaw and a hammer.. Cut a opening in the house and put that baby in the living room.. She will understand and you will love watching tv from your new easy chair..
    Ha-Ha!!! Man your ideal will have me and the spyder outside. lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then your Missus will have more closet space...

Spyder Garage

Are insurance rates different if you keep it outside versus in an enclosed structure?

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Probably not; although each Company may have its own different set of available credits that might be offered...
    Good question!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

That certanily brings up a good question as my insurer's first question was will the new Spyder be kept in a garage or not. here in Florida the weather doesent play to big of a concern unless its hurricane season at witch i will get the car and spyder along with the tractor safely and closely snugeled together in my garage.
    When the weather permits the Lincoln and wife's car sit in the driveway and the always remains in the garage i guess its a matter of principle that the spyder remain inside clean and safe where as the cars will be more suitable to the outside elements which they are acustumed to.

Spyder Garage

Default love the spYder...but

since the spyder is not a vehicle I use for work and is a recreational vehicle ,for me at least, it will always be second to my truck. If the spyder gets cold and doesn't start it will be a sad day and a shame. but if my truck with 100,000 miles on it gets cold and doesn't start it will be a real immediate issue because that gets me to the place that pays my bills each month. I am working on getting a good place for the spyder but once the cover comes in unless the temp drops considerably it will be outside and the truck will be in the garage. That trucks gets me to the place that pays for the spyder not the other way around. Spyder lover, Truck depender...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder lover, Truck depender...
    Good way to put it!

Spyder Garage

that $169 cloth shed looks pretty good - just make sure you get lots of ground stakes to secure it from wind, and then you could use some tarps from a Home Depot or Lowes or whatever to cover the Spyder, again using plenty of ground stakes

i was gonna suggest something along the lines of http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...1#.UKbZ7YUtHkE but the other one looks a bit nicer
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Question surface under tent/ shed

what about the ground? should I put something down to keep the spyder from sitting on grass and soil? I mean, I am in Texas and there will probably never be 2 weeks in a row were I can't ride not one day but just in case does it need to be on a solid surface other than grass and dirt?

Spyder Garage

what about the ground? should I put something down to keep the spyder from sitting on grass and soil? I mean, I am in Texas and there will probably never be 2 weeks in a row were I can't ride not one day but just in case does it need to be on a solid surface other than grass and dirt?
    I would not put down a tarp on the "floor". You'll just trap moisture. A wood plank floor, patio blocks, or several inches of stone is good, though, and helps keep the critters away and the tires dry. Some rat bait tossed in the corners will "discourage" pesky mice. I would not throw an additional tarp over the Spyder...it will collect condensation. A breathable cloth cover is better, but I prefer to jujst leave them dry and clean the dust off. If you can run an extension cord out there, a Battery Tender or equivalent is a good idea.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks Scotty, I just got a 12v battery tender. I bought it on ebay. I got the spyder trunk liner, battery tender, and 12v accessory plug all for $160 total. Now I will have to pay $100 at the dealership to install my plug because I don't know anything about electrical stuff or auto for that matter and I don't want to mess anything up but it is cool as long as it gets done right!