Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The miracle of 3 wheels

Alright folks there are so many things in life you are either sure they won't happen to you or that perhaps you think you are ready for it to happen. My wife Chasity and I were enjoying what may have been the last nice day to ride in the Omaha, NE area. We were heading south on I680 heading to Cabela's on our 2011 Spyder RT-S. We were talking on our Scalas and making plans for the afternoon when all of a sudden I see a car in the left lane break left and life turned into a slow motion freeze frame horror story. There was a whitish pick-up in the next lane to my left that had a cast iron bakers rack fly out of the back of the truck. I lady into the brake and watched as the damn thing bounced into my lane. I ABS'ed into a right hand turn trying to avoid it. I clipped it with my left wheel/fender. When the steering was suddenly forced from a right turn to a full left turn it tossed my wife and I onto the right floorboard. Somehow I was able to pull myself back up into the seat. When I forced my body up I watched in horror as Chasity was tumbling a$$ over teakettle in the far right lane of traffic in the right mirror. I somehow got the bike stopped, and ran back to my wife. She pulled her self together faster than I would expect and walked to the shoulder. There were several people who stopped and helped us until the Omaha PD and medics showed up. To make a long story short here helmet saved here head. It is covered in 55mph scratches. Chas has some nasty road rash on her knees and hands and a few strawberries in other contact areas. Safety gear is just that, safe. The gear she had on made sure I still have my wife of 17 yrs still with me.

The Spyder was able to be driven home after I pulled the fender away from the tire. It will hopefully be repaired over the winter and be ready for Spyder Fest next year. A few take aways are to always remember scan always, and always have and "out" . If we were on a 2 wheeler I feel I would not be writing this right now. If there is anyway to request a standard option for this wonderful machine I would ask for a brake system on the handle bars like every other motorcycle. I could not reach the brakes pedal as I hung from the bike, but I was reaching for a brake lever that wasn't there on the right.

So we are safe, the Spyder is in the garage, and we have another day and a half to recuperate before we go back to work. Once again thank god for 3 wheels!!!

V/R

Joe

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad everyone is safe to report on this. I agree with the front ABS brake lever. I can't see shelling out $1,400 for the one that is offered by one of our sponsors. I know a few people that have it and love it, but it's a little too steep for me. Would be nice if BRP would incorporate that as a stock feature, or at least an option. Good luck with the bike.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

That's some scary stuff Bro. Glad you and Chasity are ok other than the road rash. Bet she's gonna be sore later. Were they able to get the truck with the unsecure load?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Wow, glad you and wife are safe. That is very scary to say the least.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Thank God you are OK!!! BUT YOU WILL HURT LIKE A SON OF A GUN REALLY SOON!!! I just had a stupid moment or 2 myself. Lost my flags !!! they broke off and were SOMEPLACE back about 15 mi in the middle of the road!!! Went back-- found em --turned around-- put on brake-- left in gear( RT-S SE5) ON A HILL( small!! but a HILL!!!) off bike-- pick up flags and their holder--- TURN-- OMG the darn thing rolling BACKWARDS!!!! I am Left of bike!!! GRAB the handle bar, and the rear bar try to stop it!! thentry to get ON it ----- threw me off, head first to the pavement!!! Thank you for Full face helmets!!!!! Have a bunch of road rash on it!!! NO road rash for me. Boots got run over by left wheel one boot really road rashed!!! SORE neck( whiplash??) had hit at the chin on the helmet. Sore next three days!!! BUT reminder that that damn brake is on the wrong side when your trying to get to it!!!!! BRP REALLY needs to do something to help out an IDIOT like me!!! But the bike went into ditch BUT NOT into the one about 30 ft farther down the hill that was at least 8ft deep!!!! I survived to do something stupid again, hopefully learned lesson( will do it again more than likely!!! tho) BUT sure wish I had a brake a lot closer to where I was than where IT was!!!! By grabing the handle bars and getting my feet run over the front wheels wouldn't have made the turn necessary to get it into a "better??" ditch that I drove out of with out a tow!!! and No real damage to the bike. Lost a couple led lights undeneath, but most of em are ok. SOOOO lesson 101!!! DON'T LEAVE THE BIKE RUNNING ON A HILL!! AUTOMATICS CAN GO BACKWARDS EVEN IN GEAR!!!! EVEN IF THE BRAKE HAS BEEN SET!!! AND DON'T TRY GETTING ON IT WHEN IT IS ROLLING BACKWARDS!!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you and your wife are ok and will be able to ride another day.

As far as the hand brake goes I could not agree with you more!

As I said in another post I would not buy one of there quads for
    the lack of a hand brake. Living in a mountainous area there has
    been many times I had to walk a quad down a steep trail, without
    a hand brake on both sides it would have been suicide.

I feel the Spyder is less critical of a hand brake but still would
    benefit from having one. Just from the last two post it could have
    made the difference from life or death.

I only stress the hand brake in the hopes that BRP is listening and
    someday will make it a stock safety item.

Everyday I ride the Spyder and have my foot on the upper pegs or somewhere
    on the floorboard I think about the extra seconds it will take
    in the case of an emergency stop to find the brake pedal.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    That's some scary stuff Bro. Glad you and Chasity are ok other than the road rash. Bet she's gonna be sore later. Were they able to get the truck with the unsecure load?

Luckily the older lady and gentleman in the truck did pull over about 200yds from where I was able the trailer. She even called that evening to check on Chas. it definitely wasn't Doner maliciously but people fall into the "it won't happen to me" mode every now and then. I know that everyone involved will change they way some things are done from now on.

Chas is unfortunately worse of than me. I pulled my right bicep and shoulder a little, but nothing Tylenol and time won't fix. Chas will be babied for a little bit. I'll pull her chores so she can relax, but she'll be sore for about a week or so while the road rash and strawberries heal.

I saved her helmet and the clothing the paramedics cut off for a safety brief that I've got a feeling will happen some time soon. I notified both of our CCs and they were genuinely concerned , but anytime something this serious happens there is always a safety debrief in the future.

V/R

Joe

Spyder Garage

Very glad to hear you got through that without anything being worse. Helmets save lives.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Very glad to hear you got through that without anything being worse. Helmets save lives.
    Without a doubt Sir, without a doubt!

Helmets are not required for operators in Iowa, my wife and I always wonder why folks don't wear them. We now have proof that helmets do save lives, especially full face style.

V/R

Joe

Spyder Garage

OMG what a frightening situation!!! Am so glad to hear that both you and your spouse are walk away "fine" just a good reinforcement for ATGATT
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

somebody upstairs was watching out for you guys!!! thank the good lord he was! scratches and road rash will heal. glad you had enough common sense to be wearing helmets!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad you both made it through without to many injuries. Hoping you recover from it quickly!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh my goodness. I'm glad you guys are okay.