Spyder Garage

Default RSS Shenanigans.

So, I picked up my 2011 RSS Orange/Black on saturday and have been enjoying it immensely. I have a few questions for those that have an RS/RSS.

1. Do you find that your high beam is lighting up the treetops? I am wondering if maybe my headlight AIM is off.

2. This is my shift pattern, I would like to know yours for comparison. (I shift in the listed mph window) Also I am on an SE5 if that matters)

1st to 2nd : 25-30 mph
    2nd to 3rd : 40-45 mph
    3rd to 4th : 55-60 mph
    5th : Haven't used it yet.

One thing I have noticed is that if I let it downshift is that I often wind up in second gear at 10-15 mph (such as when i'm slowing for someone turning right)
    This results in me being at ~2200-2500 rpm in second gear which from what I understand is very bad as its wearing on the clutch and motor hard to get back up to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. If I am back on the throttle after slowing it often refuses to shift back down to 1st if I attempt it manually. I am thinking that it is really taking too long to decide to downshift to 1st.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that the clutch wear issue will rear it's ugly head more as a result of putting a load on the drivetrain at the lower rpm levels.
    Decelerating shouldn't load it enough for the bike to notice!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default head lights...

Hello and welcome to the spyder world. I have only had my RS-S for a few weeks. You will definitely need to lower the headlights. I was flashed several times when I first started riding. The headlights are easy to adjust. I say that honestly. You will see a lot of "gear heads" and expert mechanics that know how to do a lot of stuff to the spyder but you will see that my name will only show up to ask questions but not for tech advice so when I say " it is easy" you can believe it. There is a little opening in front of each light that you just put a phillips screwdriver in to adjust on each side. It is in the book too. Once I did that just a little the lights went down. I too was flashing in the trees before the adjustment. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Laila's Dad; 11-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Same thing here, and was even worse riding two up. I still haven't adjusted them yet but it looks easy enough.

I always downshift manually particularly engine braking. Your shift points seem right on, I usually shift between 4500-5000 rpm.
    Last edited by major911; 11-05-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with my headlights. I adjusted them following the instructions in the manual and was still getting flashed. I kept adjusting them down until I wasn't getting flashed as often and I still had enough light to prevent overriding at reasonable speeds. As for shifting,you may want to read over this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Have fun and ride safe!

Spyder Garage

congradulations -- it sounds like you are figuring things out .

keep doing what feels comfotable for you and your riding style . everyone is differant and you can shift at all differant RPM's and speeds , just depends on what you are doing.

keep searching around the forum and reading all the good threads -- there is alot of useful information right at your fingertips.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by MLavore View Post
    So, I picked up my 2011 RSS Orange/Black on saturday and have been enjoying it immensely. I have a few questions for those that have an RS/RSS.

1. Do you find that your high beam is lighting up the treetops? I am wondering if maybe my headlight AIM is off.

2. This is my shift pattern, I would like to know yours for comparison. (I shift in the listed mph window) Also I am on an SE5 if that matters)

1st to 2nd : 25-30 mph
    2nd to 3rd : 40-45 mph
    3rd to 4th : 55-60 mph
    5th : Haven't used it yet.

One thing I have noticed is that if I let it downshift is that I often wind up in second gear at 10-15 mph (such as when i'm slowing for someone turning right)
    This results in me being at ~2200-2500 rpm in second gear which from what I understand is very bad as its wearing on the clutch and motor hard to get back up to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. If I am back on the throttle after slowing it often refuses to shift back down to 1st if I attempt it manually. I am thinking that it is really taking too long to decide to downshift to 1st.
    Shifting is more about RPMs than speed. I can easily be doing 50 in 2nd. I ride the high end and rock 5k to 7k on the up scale and prefer to keep my RPMs around 3k - 4k in slow down mode. But I like loud and moreover, in a crazy situation when I am slowing down and suddenly need to be somewhere else, I can move quickly out without having to choke for a second.

Lights - you can adjust them via the instructions in the owners manual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rockin' & rollin'; right Tito?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Headlights

Under each headlight in the lower half of the Faring you will find a hole. Insert a phillips screw drives and by turning it counter clockwise the lights should lower. If they dont turn it in the other direction...

Godspeed
    BIOSAB