Spyder Garage

Default BRP Changes RT-622 Wiring Harness For 2013

I don't know the extent of the changes, but noticed a different trailer wiring connection on the 2013 RT Limited and RT-622 trailer displayed at the Atlanta motorcycle show. When looking in the '2013 CAN-AM ROADSTER GENUINE PARTS, ACCESSORIES & RIDING GEAR' catalog, on page 70, there is this part:

RT-622 Tongue harness
    Converts 2011 and 2012 RT-622
    Trailers for compatibility with 2013
    hitch and module (RT and ST), and
    2013 4-pin adaptor.
    RT-622 2011 to 2013 710003227
    $39.99

This apparently is used with the '4 Pin Trailer Adaptor Harness' on the same page. There are 2 of these listed, one for RT-622 2013 and one for RT-622 2012 and prior.

The display model had a completely different hookup, but ALSO had what appeared to be the familiar 9 pin hookup. The BRP rep said that was a non production RT and couldn't say which the production unit would use. I don't see an adapter for the 2013 RT or ST to pull the 2010 RT-622 trailer.

Bottom line, in four production years, they now have three different configurations.

Crazy...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

It's going to take an encyclopedia to keep track of it all pretty soon!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I don't know the extent of the changes, but noticed a different trailer wiring connection on the 2013 RT Limited and RT-622 trailer displayed at the Atlanta motorcycle show. When looking in the '2013 CAN-AM ROADSTER GENUINE PARTS, ACCESSORIES & RIDING GEAR' catalog, on page 70, there is this part:

RT-622 Tongue harness
    Converts 2011 and 2012 RT-622
    Trailers for compatibility with 2013
    hitch and module (RT and ST), and
    2013 4-pin adaptor.
    RT-622 2011 to 2013 710003227
    $39.99

This apparently is used with the '4 Pin Trailer Adaptor Harness' on the same page. There are 2 of these listed, one for RT-622 2013 and one for RT-622 2012 and prior.

The display model had a completely different hookup, but ALSO had what appeared to be the familiar 9 pin hookup. The BRP rep said that was a non production RT and couldn't say which the production unit would use. I don't see an adapter for the 2013 RT or ST to pull the 2010 RT-622 trailer.

Bottom line, in four production years, they now have three different configurations.

Crazy...

Yep it’s unbelievable that in four years they can change the frame, trailer hitch wiring, add new floor boards, windshield vent, and lower side vents but do you think they have even thought about adding some kind of floor boards to any of their older Spyders. And if they were to come up with a replacement for the out dated PEG that’s on the previous production Spyders no one would be able to afford it.

I talked to the Rep. at the Atlanta show about the new 2013 floor boards for the RT Limited and if they are adaptable to the older Spyders and was told NO due to the new frame changes and geometry of how the boards and board supports are mounted to the frame they can’t be retro fitted.

His comment when I asked if BRP is looking at coming up with Boards for the previous year Spyders was WE HERE YOU.

I know there’s going to be a lot of you to jump in a say there are several aftermarket floor boards for sale here on the forum and you are right but that’s not what I am looking for. I want a set of boards that look like they came on the bike from the factory.

Ok I’ll get off my soap box now!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Roadster - Fuel Cap Replacement

Hey Guys, have anyone received the NEW Replacement Fuel Cap that Can Am/ BRP send out to owner of their products. I've just received this Replacement Fuel Cap a few days ago because the letter indicated that my old fuel cap may not seal properly the fuel tank filler neck, and that Fuel vapors in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire. I own a Can Am Spyder RT 2011 and the new Fuel Cap is a little bigger and a perfect fix. Just want keep you Updated and maybe some of your already received your in the mail.

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Changes RT-622 Wiring Harness For 2013

I have installed a new hitch on my 2012 RTL. The hitch/harness is the new 2013 version. The harness has been changed again, I think for the better. The big round plug under the left saddle bag has been replaced. The new plug is a square 4 pin. The control box to convert from a 5 wire to a 4 wire system, is included with the hitch/harness has all the wires clearly marked, which helps if you need to use a 5 wire setup. The best thing, I did not have to buy the special cable to switch from the round plug to a 6 pin plug, at a cost of $120+

ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    I have installed a new hitch on my 2012 RTL. The hitch/harness is the new 2013 version. The harness has been changed again, I think for the better. The big round plug under the left saddle bag has been replaced. The new plug is a square 4 pin. The control box to convert from a 5 wire to a 4 wire system, is included with the hitch/harness has all the wires clearly marked, which helps if you need to use a 5 wire setup. The best thing, I did not have to buy the special cable to switch from the round plug to a 6 pin plug, at a cost of $120+

ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Good info and pictures. Thanks. We knew they had converted to square-4 and had gotten rid of the bulkhead module, but this is the first weve seen of the entire assembly. Looks like they adopted standard trailer wiring colors on the output side, too. One note, tapping into the 5-wire side would be before the module, and would be just like tapping into the Spyder wires themselves...it would not be isolated. It has not been fun to chase through and follow the Spyder trailer module changes, but this looks like a winner...at long last. Let's hope they stay with it. How and where do they bring the harness out of the body?

BTW, there is a different harness for the 2013 Spyder and the older RT, be sure you get the right one for your application.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT and bought a 2011 trailer this year but the hitch that is sold no is 2013 so the plugs don't mate. I found a 4 pin plug that matched the hitch plug and installed that on the trailer but I have now recieved the revised wiring for the trailer and it sells for under $40. It is plug and play, just remove the existing set up at the disconnect and plug the new harness in. A few zip ties later and its done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I have a 2011 RT and bought a 2011 trailer this year but the hitch that is sold no is 2013 so the plugs don't mate. I found a 4 pin plug that matched the hitch plug and installed that on the trailer but I have now recieved the revised wiring for the trailer and it sells for under $40. It is plug and play, just remove the existing set up at the disconnect and plug the new harness in. A few zip ties later and its done.
    Part number?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!