Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why wait?

Spyder Garage

When I broke my leg and knees went bad on me , I tried holding up my 2 wheeler , but I had so much money in it and the paintwork was so custom that it could never be matched that I desided it best for me to sell it .

I was a member on Lamont's other site (m109riders) and I knew he had a spyder . That is the only place that I have seen a spyder .

I could not imagine not riding , so I went to a CanAm test drive event and was amazed at how nice the RT Rode . when I went in to buy the RT , I saw the orange RSS and said to myself that I am not old enough or handicapped enough to get the RT yet . And have loved every mile that I have put on my RSS .

I really enjoy riding fast and hitting the turns hard , but with the colder weather I find myself driving my truck to work . While I am comfortable driving the RSS in the upper 40's , some mornings it is just to cold outside .

Putting a windshield and bags on the RSS is not an option for me !

My point is - I cannot afford 2 spyders but I want an RT so I can keep riding all winter long . My friends love my RSS and tease me bad about getting an old man RT . I have the opportunity to get the RT LIMITED 2012 with 1000 miles on it for $24000 . I just can't get myself to pull the trigger .
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyders are not for the older crowd only. I have been riding with very large groups of them on the Dragon and many other places and the ages of our group are from 30's to Forrest. LOL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Spyders are not for the older crowd only. I have been riding with very large groups of them on the Dragon and many other places and the ages of our group are from 30's to Forrest. LOL.
    You and many spyder owners say that but to other riders - the RT Is an old mans bike !

I am just stating the obvious and when talking to people looking at the RT in the showroom , that is what most of them say - am not that old yet ! After going over the spyder with them for a minimal 10 minutes I usually change there mind .

We did a poll on here with the average age - what was it ? 55 to 65 ?

Also , most young people cannot afford a spyder , which was the one reason I went with the RSS .
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    You and many spyder owners say that but to other riders - the RT Is an old mans bike !

I am just stating the obvious and when talking to people looking at the RT in the showroom , that is what most of them say - am not that old yet ! After going over the spyder with them for a minimal 10 minutes I usually change there mind .

We did a poll on here with the average age - what was it ? 55 to 65 ?

Also , most young people cannot afford a spyder , which was the one reason I went with the RSS .
    Funny thing is they said that about the Hayabusa compared to the GSXR 1000. Whatever keeps people enjoying the thrill of the ride works for me.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default @ 63

@ age 61 i built my last HOT ROD... A 1977 CHEVY COUPE... when i was a kid in the 60's, we were too poor to buy a new Chevy 409 with dual-quads... something i always wanted... so few years ago, i found a 1 owner '77 chevy coupe, and decided to turn that into what i always wanted but could never have as a kid. i loaded it up with a ZZ4 Crate Motor, topped it off with Dual-Quads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, 4 speed 700R4 tranny, 3:53 Richmonds in the rear, all new interior, paint, A/C, yaddy yaddy yad-da.... once it was completed, the SPYDER was introduced.... and in the last 3 yrs i haven't driven the Chevy 300 miles, but i've ridden my SPYD3R almost 25,000 miles in that time... my heart now belongs to my SYPD3R... so the Chevy is FOR SALE if you want it....
    CAR1.jpgCAR3.jpgCAR4.jpgCAR2.jpg
    013.jpg

Spyder Garage

I currently own a Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda RC51, Honda Interceptor, Honda VTX 1300C, and the Spyder RT. This summer, I put more miles on the Spyder than the other 4 bikes,
    Last edited by rc51ny; 11-27-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Wow Lamont wow ...... you have had some georgous rides!

Thanks for sharing

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Great bikes!

Man those are some sweet rides Lamont!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Well, I think the photo's were awesome! Brought back allot of memories for me, thanks Lamont.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i gave up big bikes after questioning my sanity around 176 mph on a public road.. always enjoyed looking at those v8 things.. locally a dude has a trike with a 57 chevy body.. V8..

why did I buy a Can-AM? not a clue.. too much money in the bank I guess and it looked lonesome on the showroom floor and wanted a garage to hang out in

Spyder Garage

I've loved motorized vehicles ever since I got my first minibike when I was 12. I've owned snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats, ATV's, sports cars, basically anything with a motor. When I first laid eyes on the Spyder I said now here's something altogether different.

When I get into discussions with motorcyclists and the topic comes around as to why ride a Spyder rather than a motorcycle, I try to explain that the Spyder is a new breed of vehicle and a new riding experience. It combines the handling of a roadster with the open air, knees in the breeze feel of a motorcycle. It's new and exhilarating - riding reinvented as BRP so aptly puts it. Such a new experience is just too rare and exciting to pass up. I loved motorcycling but now I've moved on to something I feel is even better, and I'll never look back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I have thought about this a lot and it's pretty funny when some guy from the stereo type bad boy brand it somewhere you are on your Spyder and they want to look and ask ? But they are afraid to be seen by there peers even considering anything else but the black leather brand ,some will say I mite get one of those when I can't ride my 2 wheeler any more and I've wanted to say so many times "when you find out you can't ride your bike anymore it mite just be to late and a painful lesson try a Spyder before you get hurt"
    2 happy happy spyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hear a lot about the cost of a Spyder = Rich old guy and frankly that just does not hold water in my opinion. Down at the local Harley Dealer the least expensive big twin is around $18,000 and most of the ave Harley's have price tags between $20,000 to upwards of $28,000 when they are dressed up like my RT-S which by the way was $25,000 out the door. The Harley trikes don't event come close with an average price tag of $38,000. Over at the BMW Dealer $25,000 is about average for an equipt Beemer. And let talk about Goldwings, $22,000 for a basic stripped two wheeler and $35,000+ for a trike conversion. I see lots of young guys on Harley's that cost way more than my RT-S. there is a Sport Bike Club in town that ride GXSers and Hyabusas. They most have around $25,000 to $35,000 invested in extended swing arms wide tires and fancy paint jobs. So it comes down to Two wheels for Young guys and Trikes for Old folks? I always get accosted by young guys when they are alone or just with their girl friends or wives asking lots of positive questions about the Spyder and then when another guy shows up they go negative. I really doubt that only old folks are attracted to Spyders as I personally know at least 12 young guys in the country who ride RS's and a few with wives who ride RT's. I think the real issue is that young folks want to ride the Spyder but do not know how or have the nerve to step out on their own to buck the peer pressure and that only truly independent self assured are able to go their own path.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but, Certainly if I had more money than I knew what to with I would have two or three bikes. The fact is most of us can only afford one, and if I were younger it would be two wheeled. The Spyder is fun but it can't compare to the feeling you get riding two wheels. Just my opinion like the saying goes everyone has one.

chickridin

I totally agree!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but, Certainly if I had more money than I knew what to with I would have two or three bikes. The fact is most of us can only afford one, and if I were younger it would be two wheeled. The Spyder is fun but it can't compare to the feeling you get riding two wheels. Just my opinion like the saying goes everyone has one.
    You don't look that old to me, what's stopping you from going back to two wheels?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Why Wait

i totally agree with Lamonster comments, but from a different perspective. My wife fought cancer for 4 years, during which we talked about getting a Spyder when she was feeling better. after she passed away (Mar/2012), i decided that if i was ever going to get one, i should do it now, so i bought my RT last july 2. and it is truly a blast to ride, even to the grocery store.

my only regret regarding the Spyder, is that i did not act on the impulse to buy one several years ago. there were days that she could have enjoyed the thrill of a long, slow ride sitting behind me. i find that sometimes i am out enjoying a relaxing ride and i have a strange sensation that she is indeed sitting back there, enjoying the ride with me.

the point i want to make here is DO NOT WAIT. you never know what the future will bring; if your plans will work out as you hope. so do it now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGPa View Post
    i totally agree with Lamonster comments, but from a different perspective. My wife fought cancer for 4 years, during which we talked about getting a Spyder when she was feeling better. after she passed away (Mar/2012), i decided that if i was ever going to get one, i should do it now, so i bought my RT last july 2. and it is truly a blast to ride, even to the grocery store.

my only regret regarding the Spyder, is that i did not act on the impulse to buy one several years ago. there were days that she could have enjoyed the thrill of a long, slow ride sitting behind me. i find that sometimes i am out enjoying a relaxing ride and i have a strange sensation that she is indeed sitting back there, enjoying the ride with me.

the point i want to make here is DO NOT WAIT. you never know what the future will bring; if your plans will work out as you hope. so do it now.
    Very sorry to hear about your wife's passing. I know it's been said before that most folks on their death bed don't regret the things they did in life but the things they didn't do. I agree with you Bro, why wait? and "don't wait".

Spyder Garage

It was not my choice to go from two wheels to three. Still have my Springer and not giving it up. Can't ride it any more but Hubby is more than happy to take her for a spin now and then. But, I'm glad I made the switch to a Spyder for many reasons.

To me, a Spyder is more like a ATV on steroids than a motorcycle. You ride it more like an AVT than a two wheelie true. But you have the freedom of pounding the superslabs, carving the twisties, and taking the scenic road home just like a motorcycle. I've found myself to be a much more aggressive rider on the Spyder than on two wheels. Who knew?

Also on a Spyder, you don't have to watch for that gravel in the turns. Don't have to worry about stopping at a red light and ending up on the right hand part of the lane full of grease and a/c condensation. On a hot day, no problems parking on the asphalt and hoping your kickstand doesn't sink in. Y'all are kinda getting the picture here?

Riding a Spyder is the best of both worlds.

Did you know Spyders can go muddin'? Lamont, glad to see you enjoy good clean fun too!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You don't look that old to me, what's stopping you from going back to two wheels?
    Only 63 but have some health issues that crop up from time to time. Most of my riding is 2up my wife and I use the bike as our only way to vacation. We both really enjoy riding and at one point had plans to get her one, But back injury ended that idea. My worry was being out together and something happening to me and her not being able to ride the bike. Hence the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is a vehicle that reaches a wide variety of riders. It suits beginners, people with physical difficulties, attention seekers, young riders, old riders, aggressive riders, and easy riders alike. It is hard to ignore, and harder still to stay away from once you have ridden one. Like any vehicle, it is not for everyone, but it has a much broader following than most other open-air vehicles. Those that think it is for "old folks" are missing something fun and satisfying. As Lamont said, "Why wait?"
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why wait?

1973 FLH.jpgWell it took me a while to decide between the Spyder and the Harley Trike, but I bought the Spyder RT Limited in the pearl white. After I got it and started riding it I began to miss the two wheels. I was watching the show FastandLoud on the Discovery Channel and saw the 1973 FLH ( Shovelhead ) Harley on that show and I bought that badboy! So now I have both and its a blast !
    Last edited by hogmanjem; 10-31-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No one can stop you from doing what you want to do except yourself. No ones opinion is more important than your own. I will ride any bike that someone else buys for me but when I lay down the cash I ride my own ride. As to waiting? Waiting for what? Your not getting any prettier, younger, healthier or wealthier. As a three time cancer survivor I can attest that when it comes to life live each day as it might be your last because some day it will.

Now on a happier note! We have the best of all worlds on a Spyder of any year or type! It allows us to age along with our ride and go places in all kinds of weather to meet with great folks (and some lovable nuts!). Ride safe, ride often and enjoy Gods gift of life!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Awww CRUD! No one told me I wasn't old enough to ride one of these things! Now what am I going to do?

There was no way my wife was ever going to get on a two wheeler. She's scared to death of them after working in ER for 15 years. For us it was a Spyder or nothing. With that in mind, there wasn't all that much resistance from me. I took one look at it and though, wow, you mean I can fly down the freeway on a snowmobile....and it's legal? Where do I sign up? Two wheelers rock, quads rock, the old ATVs rocked, muscle cars rock...I like them all, but can only really afford one toy, so the one that would get used most made sense.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this has been a good read..