Spyder Garage

Default Self canceling turn signals

This past week as I was coming back from The Dragon, my Spyder seems to have developed self canceling turn signals. When I first got my Spyder, I tended to leave my left signal on as the glare on the instrument cluster made it hard to see the little green arrow. Now when i complete a right or left turn, the signal cancels itself. Likewise if after changing lanes and I leave my signal on too long, it cancels itself. Is this the way they are supposed to work, of is my Spyder possessed?

Spyder Garage

That is how they are supposed to work. If they cancel in one direction but not the other, the steering sensors are usually in need of calibration.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Taken from page 19 of the 2011 RT owners manual. I did not know what year your RT is.

turn signal.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Self Canceling Turn Signals and a manually Canceling Them

I have a 2011 RT Ltd and my turn signals do self cancel when turning left or right. That should be standard on all bike built in the 20 years or more. Self Canceling turn signals for changing lanes would be pretty cool, but I have never seen them on bike or car.

i had problems manually canceling the turn signals as many have reported on this forum. Usually due to changing lanes. The dealer seemed familiar w the problem and replaced the digital switch and harness. Now canceling the turn signal works much better. Best of all, I am not confusing the other riders and drivers by switching left, right, right, left, etc.....just trying to cancel the turn signal.

Spyder Garage

Default RS too

My RS cancels the signal with normal turns. I guess it is standard. My dealer wasn't sure that it would all the time so told me to manually cancel them. Glad he was wrong.

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Can they be re-calibrated to cancel after 15 seconds? 30 seconds is a darn long time to be telling someone you might be turning then don't. Would be great if someone could come up with a way to to it themselves too.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...cracking the codes... I think that I'd rather just let the 30 seconds pass by than dig into THAT can of worms!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    Can they be re-calibrated to cancel after 15 seconds? 30 seconds is a darn long time to be telling someone you might be turning then don't. Would be great if someone could come up with a way to to it themselves too.
    I agree...30 seconds is a long time..long enough to really confuse a cage driver who turns in front of you because your right turn signal is telling them your turning right when all you are doing is waiting for the turn signal to self cancel.

I always cancel the signal except following full turns and I've gotten pretty good at it...seldom turn on the other signal when canceling.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The RT has turn signals?

They are Optional in New Jersey!
    Similar to stopping at stop signs.!

Spyder Garage

Sorry, the delay is programmed into the cluster logic, and cannot be changed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default In motion

30 second count down while the Spyder is in motion. So if someone is testing to see if it works parked in the driveway, sorry it won't time out in 30 seconds.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sorry, the delay is programmed into the cluster logic, and cannot be changed.
    That sounds ominous...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black