Spyder Garage

Default Would comprehensive insurance cover a solo accident?

Long story short: GF crashed her Vespa this weekend in a solo accident. She's okay, hospital checked her out, nothing broken but pretty roughed up all over (her FULL FACE helmet saved her mug, if not her skull; nice gouge all the way along her helmet's left chin, in even a 3/4 she'd be needing plastic surgery-- or more-- right about now instead of resting away a concussion with an icepack for her jaw).

Anyway, while she's enjoying her belly full of vicodin, I'm handling the insurance claim (scoot's in my name, she's co-named on the policy).

Since the Vespa wasn't worth all that much, I passed on getting collision, instead I just loaded up on all the medical and liability coverages... PLUS comprehensive.

I'm guessing even in a solo accident where the only thing you hit is the pavement, it's still a collision claim vice comprehensive, right?

Anyway, I'm expecting the insurer to total the scoot (GF did me proud, she don't half-a$$ nothing! ), won't know until the adjuster calls me back tomorrow, but I'm just trying to see if there's any chance I'll get something back off of it. No biggie if I don't, just wondering if I got lucky in my ignorance/laziness.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are not going to get anything from comprehensive coverage...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    You are not going to get anything from comprehensive coverage...
    Drats. Oh well, no biggie. I carry collision on the Spyder no questions asked, but figured I'd save a few bucks on the Vespa. Woulda made PERFECT financial sense too had she not, you know, crashed the freakin' thing less than six months after I bought it.

Whatever. She's safe and sound at home, she's learned plenty of valuable lessons (ATGATT, dangers of gravel in turns and overbraking, need for PLP and formal training... oh, and stupid hurts), and since yesterday I'm *just* getting over that horrible feeling I had in the pit of my stomach once I came upon her lying on the ground in pain. I'm just now caring about a piece of metal and plastic... and I'm not caring all that much.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the gf is alright. To bad on the insurance end of it.

Spyder Garage

Default Correct.

No comp. coverage.

SORRY

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Insurance isn't where you want to shortchange yourself [save money],
    Sorry you found out the hard way.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Collision insurance paid for repair of two of my bikes and riding gear following collisions with the pavement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Insurance isn't where you want to shortchange yourself [save money],
    Sorry you found out the hard way.
    Actually, it sure is, when it comes to collision on an old bike or car worth less than the cost of the coverage + deductible. Which would have been my situation in less than a year. Grrr.

As it stands, the bike didn't make it that far, so sure, it'll cost me a little bit. But it was a near-enough deal that I'm not too upset. Like I said, I loaded up all the medical and liability coverage for obvious reasons, and I chose comprehensive because it was A) dirt cheap, and B) people like stealing scooters in the big bad city. I passed on collision because I figured any minor damage was either fixable with my pocket cash, or if not, I wasn't going to worry about walking away from the bike if it's a total loss.

Total loss? Okay, whatever, this was *literally* her last ride of the season (what are the odds? 100%, duh!), she was planning on selling the scooter in the spring to put money towards a different bike. Change of plans, we can always make more money... Avoiding skin grafts, healing bones, rehab, or worse? Priceless.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not an insurance agent, but I think you might get it covered. You owned the bike, your G/F was on policy to ride it, but you are the one out the scooter. Sue the G/F for replacing/repairing the scooter she damaged. Comp then has to cover it. Happens all the time with homeowners insurance. Of course next time she needs insurance coverage it will cost more, so might not be worth it. I am sure Bob (insurance agent) will know more.

Glad G/F is okay.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

How come the insurance agent with 14,000+ post hasn't answered this question yet?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    How come the insurance agent with 14,000+ post hasn't answered this question yet?
    He is taking a break while he watches football, baeball, Nascar and the Weather Channel.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not at work?

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Insurance

I thought the same thing as I was scrolling down this thread. Bob seems to be on here 24/7!! Hope he and his family and all involved with Sandy are safe and sound!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just so everyone knows...

Here's an easy way to understand the basic differences between Comprehensive and Collision coverage:

Collision coverage applies when two vehicles hit each other, or when a single vehicle hits an object of some sort (such as a tree, or a pole in a parking structure).

Comprehensive coverage
    protects you when your car has sustained damage that did NOT result from a collision -- such as either a natural or civil disturbance (such as a hail storm, a falling tree, or an act of vandalism).
    Comprehensive coverage also protects against damage such as broken window or windshield, as well as any damage sustained if you accidentally hit an animal while driving.
    Because these coverages protect you against different types of losses, it’s usually a good idea to include both on your policy.

Hope this helps settle the confusion...
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 10-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I was an insurance agent 20+ years ago. Not much has changed except for rates.

No collision coverage in a solo accident means no coverage for the vespa.

Comprehensive coverage is for things out of your control, such as fire, theft, vandalism and malicious mischief. Thats why it is less expensive than collision. And carrying a low deductible is more attractive than a collision deductible. On my spyder I have $100 comp and $1000 collision. I don't carry medical coverage as it is usually capped at $5K and unless you don't have health coverage, not necessary.

Glad she is gonna be ok. You said that the value of the Vespa was not allot. You can't insure against everything, so you have to figure that what you saved monetarily may have put you a little ahead or behind on the bike. When I use to sell insurance I would tell people to insure against things that could change your life not your weekend. So for instance on a homeowners policy, if your TV gets stolen your bummed, if you have a beer at a softball game and the bat slips out of your hand and hits a spectator, you better have a big liability policy, for the law suit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    I thought the same thing as I was scrolling down this thread. Bob seems to be on here 24/7!! Hope he and his family and all involved with Sandy are safe and sound!
    Don't believe any place in NY has been touched yet. I think Bob may be taking extra precautions and is getting ready. Whatever he doesn't say today, he'll triple down once he's back on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Comprehensive coverage is for things out of your control, such as fire, theft, vandalism and malicious mischief.
    I am sure she was out of control when she hit the ground, so it should be covered. There, I found a loop-hole

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Bob only post if he's in the office and on Sunday not much. He'll be there this morning.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reporting for Duty; Sir!
    I'm glad that your girlfriend is going to be okay.
    The ONLY way I see the comprehensive coverage paying for this...
    You'd have to have reported the scooter stolen, and have her arrested for the theft. THEN it becomes a comp. claim...
    But that's not gonna work; right?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Reporting for Duty; Sir!
    I'm glad that your girlfriend is going to be okay.
    The ONLY way I see the comprehensive coverage paying for this...
    You'd have to have reported the scooter stolen, and have her arrested for the theft. THEN it becomes a comp. claim...
    But that's not gonna work; right?
    Heh, Bob... no, I don't think so. Though, perhaps she WAS riding it like she stole it-- hence the accident!

(Legal disclaimer: no one saw her crash, and she doesn't remember the crash, either. Ahhh, concussions sure are fun).

Anyway, thanks to everyone in the thread for offering your advice and confirming what I already knew but was hoping I didn't.