Spyder Garage

Default Front end clack in my '12 RT

Ever since I have had my 2012 RT limited I noticed a clacking sound on hard left or right, low speed turns. It is not deep enough to be called a clunk, nor is is high enough to be called a click, so I am calling it a clack.

It didn't happen all the time but when I bumped the front shock setting up from three to four it happened more often.

I asked the dealer to check it out during my 9,000 mile service before we went on our trip to Tennessee last week. The dealer tech told me he drove it and sourced the noise to the coil overs hitting the shocks on low speed turns and I shouldn't worry about it.

The clacking noise bothered me on the trip and I plan to return to the dealer next week to have them address it further. Before I do this I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has been bothered by this problem.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Ever since I have had my 2012 RT limited I noticed a clacking sound on hard left or right, low speed turns. It is not deep enough to be called a clunk, nor is is high enough to be called a click, so I am calling it a clack.

It didn't happen all the time but when I bumped the front shock setting up from three to four it happened more often.

I asked the dealer to check it out during my 9,000 mile service before we went on our trip to Tennessee last week. The dealer tech told me he drove it and sourced the noise to the coil overs hitting the shocks on low speed turns and I shouldn't worry about it.

The clacking noise bothered me on the trip and I plan to return to the dealer next week to have them address it further. Before I do this I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has been bothered by this problem.
    I also own a '12 RT Ltd and have almost 6000 miles on it. Have not noticed a click, clack, or clunk (or any other unusual noise) during low speed turns. Coil springs hitting the shocks just doesn't sound right to me. I think you are wise in returning to the dealer for further evaluation.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default Sway bar

Have them check the sway bar mounts and connector "dog bones" under the front. The wife's did that, which annoyed her, so I got to check things out. I was on the ground under it while she was shaking it with everything she had. One loose bolt and all is well now.

Spyder Garage

I highly doubt that your coil springs are hitting your shocks. But it did get you out the door! Mission accomplished I'd say, depending on your mission.

His diagnosis would be easy to check because there would be at least rub marks on both the inside of the spring and corrisponding location on the shock where contact was being made.

Much more likely it's one of the many suspension joints or possibly the sway bar mounts as mentioned before. If you wait long enough something will break or fall off and even your helpful dealer will be able to properly diagnose your problem at that point.

I'm surprised he didn't tell you your muffler bearing was wearing out!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT does this and my friends 2011 RT does it. It seems more like it is related to brake pads making the noise when they shift in the caliper. He has about 9000 miles on his and I have 7000 mine. It started with about 2 or 3 thousand miles on the ODO on both bikes.

Spyder Garage

Default Clacking sound located and fixed

Last week I decided I had heard the clacking front end sound long enough so I made sure the dealer had a slack time in the shop and took it back again. With me bouncing the Spyder and the tech underneath he finally isolated the sound and tracked it to a loose bolt on the sway bar as Baja Ron and Onebadpenny suggested.

From then it was a quick fix.

The lesson here is not to be satisfied with 'off the cuff' explanations. If the problem you have isn't fixed, don't be happy until everything is corrected.

I was too anxious to get the Spyder out of the shop... should have left it there.

I blame myself as much as the dealer.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it's been found and fixed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black