Spyder Garage

Default First Major Issue!

Well, 21,000+ miles and I finally have had my first issue with the Spyder.

I took it for a quick ride across town (like 2 miles) to grab some staples (ran out of milk and the like).
    On the way back, it was giving me the Hi-Temp Warning - which made no sense - it was 40 degrees outside!

carefully get it back to the garage - to find there is NO COOLANT - none - I had checked it just a few weeks before - and it was fine - and i never noticed any puddles under it when riding.

So - go out, get some coolant - fill it up, and run it for about 20 min - runs perfect, temps are perfect.
    Take it for a test ride - again to the store and back in town - running great - until i park it in the garage and after a few minutes coolant is just streaming out of it - literally half the reservoir was puddled on the garage floor.

I was able to get it to the shop today - I know its a big no no but i left the cap off of the coolant reservoir - seems its leaking from the pressure.
    Hoping the shop can figure it out - cause after looking it over - its not coming from the reservoir - otherwise it would have leaked while idling - and when looking at where it was streaming from - its not the hose clamp (it was dripping from much higher - literally from the top of the pipes coming off the front of the air box)

Unless I missed someone having a similar problem - I'll add any updates I get when I hear back from the shop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSage View Post
    Well, 21,000+ miles and I finally have had my first issue with the Spyder.

I took it for a quick ride across town (like 2 miles) to grab some staples (ran out of milk and the like).
    On the way back, it was giving me the Hi-Temp Warning - which made no sense - it was 40 degrees outside!

carefully get it back to the garage - to find there is NO COOLANT - none - I had checked it just a few weeks before - and it was fine - and i never noticed any puddles under it when riding.

So - go out, get some coolant - fill it up, and run it for about 20 min - runs perfect, temps are perfect.
    Take it for a test ride - again to the store and back in town - running great - until i park it in the garage and after a few minutes coolant is just streaming out of it - literally half the reservoir was puddled on the garage floor.

I was able to get it to the shop today - I know its a big no no but i left the cap off of the coolant reservoir - seems its leaking from the pressure.
    Hoping the shop can figure it out - cause after looking it over - its not coming from the reservoir - otherwise it would have leaked while idling - and when looking at where it was streaming from - its not the hose clamp (it was dripping from much higher - literally from the top of the pipes coming off the front of the air box)

Unless I missed someone having a similar problem - I'll add any updates I get when I hear back from the shop.
    Sounds like a thermostat gone bad that might be the case.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have coolant droplets on the right fender, it is a crack in the coolant reservoir.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

water pump seal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What would make it build enough pressure to blow the coolant out?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be surprised if your coolant tank failed, or you have a thermostat or water pump problem, but there are a couple of things you might want to check first. The coolant cap is number one. If it is not turned to the second detent, it will discharge through the overflow under pressure. Discharge through the overflow hose is evident in this case. A bad pressure cap can cause the same thing. Also check the hoses for ruptures or loose clamps. The single worm clamp on the system is a common culprit of leaks. All leaks will be worse under pressure. Coolant leaking from a ruptured tank will be all over the place, and will probably be seen pouring or dripping from the bottom of the tank, especially under pressure with the Spyder running. The actual leak may not be where you see the water running off, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What would make it build enough pressure to blow the coolant out?
    Normal pressure, If the system has a leak or the cap isn't on tight, It has to go somewhere.
    Water bolls at a higher temperature under pressure, That's why the system needs to be pressurized, So any hole out it comes, Also Antifreeze is thinner than water and will leak from the smallest hole / crack.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks... I should have known that.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks... I should have known that.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE:

Called the Shop today - looks like it is a hole in the reservoir - just happens to be pointed slightly upward - so it only leaks when under pressure. So they have one on order - hopefully I'll have the Spyder back next week!

Can't tell you all how great it is having a community like spyderlovers - so I could find if others have had similar issues - and get input on what to do!