Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tire Wear

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Wear

I have a question about rear tire wear. What is the general milage everyone is grtting on the rear tire before replacing?(original tire)
    I have just over 13500 KM(about 8400 miles)& the center of the tire is down to the wear bars.Is this common?
    What are you replacing it with?OEM or??
    Thanks for the info.
    Tire pressure maintained at 28/29 psi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tconaagt; 10-24-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: correct conversions

Spyder Garage

just replaced mine at 9600 miles. you should not even see wear at less than 1k miles. try and lower pressure to 23-24psi.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Default on 3rd stock rear tire

I get around 14k per tire....I replace with stock tire and keep pressure at recommended level...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replace mine at 7000 miles. (Ran the pressures at 28 psi)
    It had tread left, but I'm pretty cautious about the shape that tires are in; replace them early before I start sliding around and making a muss in my drawers!
    But the Falken is currently looking pretty darn good with almost 5000 on it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I know what has reduced the mileage I'll get from my first rear tire, namely accelerating too fast, especially when overtaking. It's a stupid and expensive thing to do, I know, but having said that I will still get about 7,500 miles before I have to renew. I swear I'll treat my next rear tire with a lot more respect! I don't know what the hell I'd do if my rear tires only lasted 840 miles, I couldn't afford to keep replacing them and that's for sure.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look at the wear bars closely you will see two different sets. The inner set are closer to the surface of the tire and the outer set are lower in the tread. I've got 6000 on mine (OEM set to 28psi) and it's almost touching the inner set. That's just a heads up to remind you. I would keep riding and start looking for new tires when it gets closer to the outer set.

Mileage on tires vary. Depending on how abrasive the road is, how hard you ride, what air pressures you run. Do you ride on gravel or macadam roads, or chip sealed roads? Do burnouts?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Make sure yo are looking at the wear bars, and not the water blocks. The wear bar locations are marked by tiny triangles on the tire sidewalls. I get about 14K per rear tire, too. High speed riding will wear the center faster. The pressure doesn't seem to matter much. The tire just balloons in the center at speed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stinkin' Two-ply...

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Made in China, cheap, wad do you expect?!?!
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Got about 10K out of my first shoe on the RS, replaced it with the OEM tire. It's amazing how much of a difference a new tire makes in "resetting" your ride, even on a trike.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Made in China, cheap, wad do you expect?!?!
    I kind of expect that they'll ship the vehicle with JUST enough tire under it to keep the rims from scratching up the showroom floor!

Spyder Garage

I feel like one of the "lucky/blessed" ones.............got about 18K on the rear tire before I had to have it replaced .......running them at recomended pressure. I quess that it is all in how you run the

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I dont know what you guys are talking abut. My rear tire OUTLASTED my spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tconaagt View Post
    I have a question about rear tire wear. What is the general milage everyone is grtting on the rear tire before replacing?(original tire)
    I have just over 13500 KM(about 840 miles)& the center of the tire is down to the wear bars.Is this common?
    What are you replacing it with?OEM or??
    Thanks for the info.
    Tire pressure maintained at 28/29 psi
    Though I ride a GS, I was getting around 9-10K miles on my rear tire. Finally decided to switch to Kumho this last time. Wear is definitely better but I must say riding in the rain was much better with the Kenda.

Unless I forgot the correct formula though, don't you mean you have around 8400 miles instead of 840 if you have 13,500 kms?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I dont know what you guys are talking abut. My rear tire OUTLASTED my spyder.
    I just hope that the payment booklet doesn't outlast mine!

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Joe View Post
    Though I ride a GS, I was getting around 9-10K miles on my rear tire. Finally decided to switch to Kumho this last time. Wear is definitely better but I must say riding in the rain was much better with the Kenda.

Unless I forgot the correct formula though, don't you mean you have around 8400 miles instead of 840 if you have 13,500 kms?
    You're right about the conversion.I feel a bit better now.

Spyder Garage

I just changed mine at 14000 + change. I went with a Kumo AST and so far I can tell no differncet to the stock tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tconaagt View Post
    You're right about the conversion.I feel a bit better now.
    We ALL feel a bit better now! Jeez!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default rare tire wear

we have been very lucky with tire wear on our 2010 rt... in the spring i will have to replace our rear tire with about 23,000 miles on it...the fronts still look like new..i guess the only thing i have to worry about with the fronts are possible dry rot..very rarely do i ride without my wife on the bike so this wear is with 2 people on board... τΏτ
    gary (τΏτ)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    we have been very lucky with tire wear on our 2010 rt... in the spring i will have to replace our rear tire with about 23,000 miles on it...the fronts still look like new..i guess the only thing i have to worry about with the fronts are possible dry rot..very rarely do i ride without my wife on the bike so this wear is with 2 people on board... τΏτ
    Think I am heading to be about the same as you. Mostly ride two up, have 14 k on tires with plenty of tread left. Run rears at 29-30, fronts at 24

Spyder Garage

I've always maintained recommended pressure and was only able to eeke out 9,500mi. How does anyone get 14K+?? Maybe because living in SoCal, I ryde a lot in hot weather, i.e. on hot pavement (And no, no burnouts!)
    Charlie
    2010 Black Spyder RT-S SM5 PE (#0329), w/Scala Cardo G4 Headsets, K&N Air/Oil Filters (and a wish list of about 30 future mods!)
    2007 Toyota Tundra Limited, CrewMax 5.7L V-8 (for trailering)

Spyder Garage

I run my Toyo at 32 psi. It was a great tire. Plenty of burnouts. As you can see, it wears much flatter with a 4 ply tread than the OEM 2 ply tire.

I will probably replace it when it finally wears out. I've got about 17k on this one.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My experience has been 15,000 miles before a replacement is needed. I have now replaced tires on three different 's and that has been the pattern. I run the recommended 28 psi in the back tire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Angry Back tire slick in center with only 7,600 miles WTH?

I have 7,600 miles on my 2011 RTS SE5. I always keep my original OEM tires inflated to the tire manufactured's specifications. My front tires still look new. My back tire is almost slick in the center...outside tread is great...! I don't do burnouts, inflation set to 28 psi. My group rides back roads with the occasional highway. I live in Dallas so the summer is hot. I am riding the hill country Three Twisted Sister (Texas) in April and I am really concerned about riding on that tire. I am really upset that the tire has worn like this, this fast. Suggestions, info welcome!!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just live a few miles south of you and do the twisted sisters in the heat, too. my first tire only lasted about 7000 miles ... wore out the center tread. the replacement is still going strong at 7000 ... I lowered the tire pressure to 24 ... and the tire looks concave at rest ... but I believe it balloons out nicely (as Scotty said) at my usual 75 to 85 highway speeds.

just my .02.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.