Spyder Garage

Default Outdoor temp gage

My outdoor air temp reading is usually 5-8 degrees warmer that actual temp. Does the sensor need to be moved so it's not picking up engine heat? Is it just my RT or do others have the same issue? Thanks

Spyder Garage

I would not because the spyder uses this reading.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine did the same thing, reading a little warmer than real temp. I had a second one that was built into the Whistler radar detector and placed the sensor in front and down low to get a true temp.

Spyder Garage

The reading seems to be a little high compared to the electronic temps you see posted once in awhile. There is also a difference sometimes of two degrees or so between our 2010 and 2011 when we go riding down the road together.

I don't recommend messing with the sensors either. The gauge gives a pretty good approximate--but is not perfect.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was going to post about this too. I have the same experience -about 6-8 degrees high. I stead of moving the sensor, i was thinking it could somehow be calibrated.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The sensor cannot be calibrated, and it should not be moved. To see if it is accurate, compare the temperature after the Spyder has sat in the shade for at least 4-8 hours. In the garage after "sleeping" overnight is easiest for me. If it is off by more than a couple of degrees then, it should be tested (verified) and replaced by the dealer.

The sensor also contains a barometric pressure sensor. Moving the sensor into a direct air stream or low pressure vent area can throw that reading off, which could adversely affect the fuel injection and ignition timing. If you are not having engine management issues, the pressure function probably doesn't need to be tested.

The best thing to do with an errant temerature display is to ignore it. Like the weathermen on TV, they all lie!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

this is just one of those "suck it up, and move on" items. mine has NEVER read any degree of accuracy, dead on. it's usally off by 3 to 5 degrees, right out of the stall.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine has started to act up this weekend, stuck at 75 even in the evening...took 3/4 hours to get to real temp, around 62... where is the sensor anyway? easy to change?

Spyder Garage

I dont think in works for ambient temp. I think its just for the engine mapping, but I could be wrong

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    I dont think in works for ambient temp. I think its just for the engine mapping, but I could be wrong
    The AAPTS sensor is to measure Ambient Air Pressure and Temperature. "Ambient" is a relative term. In this case it means air inside the body, near the air intake snorkels.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Mine consistently reads up to 8 degrees warmer than it really is. I don't pay any attention to it.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The sensor also contains a barometric pressure sensor. Moving the sensor into a direct air stream or low pressure vent area can throw that reading off, which could adversely affect the fuel injection and ignition timing. If you are not having engine management issues, the pressure function probably doesn't need to be tested.

As stated above, if this sensor is reading incorrectly, it may give the incorrect information to the computer. This could cause all kinds of performance issues. I would think that getting it fixed would be something that should be done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    As stated above, if this sensor is reading incorrectly, it may give the incorrect information to the computer. This could cause all kinds of performance issues. I would think that getting it fixed would be something that should be done.
    It doesn't do as much as you think. Part of the reason these read high is that the temp inside the body is higher than the outside. The sensor is likely reading more accurately than it appears. The only way to tell is to check the reading when the Spyder is cold and has been sitting for several hours. That reading should be within two degrees of the actual air temp. I

t takes a pretty gross error to affect the mapping or timing. The knock sensor and O2 sensor(s) can compensate for most errors. The pressure sensor, along with the MAP sensor in the intake, has more affect on the mixture than the temp sensor, as does the O2 sensor in closed loop conditions. Sensor error that is great enough to adversely affect engine management is usually very obvious in the way the engine performs. If the engine is running too lean, you will know it!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info guys. Just sounds like I ignore it and move on. In any case, with it getting colder here (high 50's low 60's) it will make me feel warmer as I ride!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is actually pretty simpld:
    If your gauge is reading 100 degrees and you're still cold... put a sweater on!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default temp gauge

just take a adding machine and subtract 5-8 degrees

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...But don't forget to carry the 7...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to resurect an old thread... but my 2013 RT ambient temperature is way off all of the time. It reads a minimum of 10 degrees to high. Riding at noon today, the temp is 78*. Spyder reads 109 after being parked in the shade, dropped to 100 at 50 mph down the road.

It's off this far when i back out of the garage in the morning too... anyone else? I have about 400 miles on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwilburn View Post
    Sorry to resurect an old thread... but my 2013 RT ambient temperature is way off all of the time. It reads a minimum of 10 degrees to high. Riding at noon today, the temp is 78*. Spyder reads 109 after being parked in the shade, dropped to 100 at 50 mph down the road.

It's off this far when i back out of the garage in the morning too... anyone else? I have about 400 miles on it.
    The sensor could be bad, or the dealer could have failed to properly mount the sensor during prep. I'd see the dealer and insist that it be corrected. They all tend to read high, especially after parking in the sun or after a hot restart, but yours is more than average. There is a test procedure in the shop manual
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The sensor could be bad, or the dealer could have failed to properly mount the sensor during prep. I'd see the dealer and insist that it be corrected. They all tend to read high, especially after parking in the sun or after a hot restart, but yours is more than average. There is a test procedure in the shop manual
    Thanks. I plan on taking it down for the 600-1000 mile service... I'll have them look at it then.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ambient Temp gauge

My 2012 reads AT LEAST 8-10 degrees high all the time, sometimes 30 degrees high after sitting in the shade. The BRP tech says this is normal. Seems like a design flaw to me. How am I suppose to have any confidence in all the computerization when the temperature gage is this far off.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by rthomp32 View Post
    My 2012 reads AT LEAST 8-10 degrees high all the time, sometimes 30 degrees high after sitting in the shade. The BRP tech says this is normal. Seems like a design flaw to me. How am I suppose to have any confidence in all the computerization when the temperature gage is this far off.
    You first post. Welcome!!
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ambient Air Temp Gage

On a good day the one I have is either 10 degrees to hot or cold. But always +/- 2 degrees when I take it in to gripe about it. So I just gave up on itx