Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first time after a long ride(150-200 miles), I noticed tingling in the right palm a day later - it seemed like nerve damage, and since I'm at a keyboard all day long, I wondered if it Carpal Tunnel related.

I ordered a pair of Shock-Tec gloves, and haven't looked back. Even after a 500 mile day, I had no lingering problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You could go to a good Bicycle shop and try some " padded " Bike gloves........just a thought......Mike

I have a pair of (I think) Can-Am gloves. I purchased them when I got my Spyder. They have the padding in the palm area and help.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Manual labor will toughen up your palms

You were kidding; right?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Haven't I taught you people anything yet ??????? If your hands get tired you need to drive like this...........

5-12-12 may camping 192.jpg
    Last edited by arntufun; 10-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why didn't I think of that?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    I wear gloves when ever I'm out just habit and as someone noted bugs etc can be distracting. When trying gloves on check carefully for inside seams that can be annoying after a while. My pair of half fingers has a seem in the right glove that hits in the web of my thumb and almost raises a blister on a long ride. Lots of leather dressing helped but so does moleskin or a bandaid .

Ride safe,
    Curt

I have the same issue. Will try a band-aid on my next ride. I love the gloves, but after a while I almost have a blister.
    Very uncomfortable.

Spyder Garage

Loosen your grip, no more pressure than a handshake

Spyder Garage

my dealer gave me a throttle rocker today during lunch and said to try it, but he also said to loosen the grip and that I need some quality gloves. Maybe because I am new to riding, I didn't expect gloves to be $80 bucks and up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    my dealer gave me a throttle rocker today during lunch and said to try it, but he also said to loosen the grip and that I need some quality gloves. Maybe because I am new to riding, I didn't expect gloves to be $80 bucks and up.
    Good gloves don't have to be $80. Must be dealer markup. Look online. First time a car threw up a (very) small pebble and it hit me in the knuckles.. convinced me that gloves are a necessity.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Only $80.00? Where did you find gloves that cheap?

Really though, I find most motorcycle gloves to vary between $49 and $129. The BRP VSS gloves (which are pretty nice and light weight are around $89.00.

I have fingerless gloves as well as , mesh type gloves for warm weather riding, VSS gloves--lightweight leather with gauntlets, waterproof gloves--for riding in deluges, and heavier, insulated leather gloves for cold weather riding. Of course, I overdo on pretty much everything.

Gloves are always a part of my driving gear, you never know when a bee, rock, or other debris is going to come flying at you, and the possiblity of hitting the pavement is also always there. I want to save whats left of my skin.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-22-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gloves: about $30 max with a bit of careful shopping...
    I usually get a set of deerskin work gloves at Home Depot for around ten bucks...
    Smooth and supple...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gloves: about $30 max with a bit of careful shopping...
    I usually get a set of deerskin work gloves at Home Depot for around ten bucks...
    Smooth and supple...
    Deerskin work gloves fit well, are protective, and never seem to cost more that $15. I wore them when racing for many years. They kept my hands intact in some dandy slides. How can you lose? You can always use them in the garden if you find something you like better, later.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=27

An avid rider friend showed me what could possibly be the best touring glove money can buy. Helimot custom makes these from a tracing of your hand. Supple blend of cowhide and kangaroo leather gives great feel. I was able to pick up a dime from the table wearing them. They're pricey and hand made, but oh so comfy.

For not so fat wallets, there's also Held deerskin gloves. Under $80.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Helimot gloves

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=27

An avid rider friend showed me what could possibly be the best touring glove money can buy. Helimot custom makes these from a tracing of your hand. Supple blend of cowhide and kangaroo leather gives great feel. I was able to pick up a dime from the table wearing them. They're pricey and hand made, but oh so comfy.

For not so fat wallets, there's also Held deerskin gloves. Under $80.
    They look real good and seem real nice but for $220 they will definitely have to be a Christmas gift. And to think I was shocked at $80 gloves.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Deerskin work gloves fit well, are protective, and never seem to cost more that $15. I wore them when racing for many years. They kept my hands intact in some dandy slides. How can you lose? You can always use them in the garden if you find something you like better, later.
    That's EXACTLY where mine get to spend their retirement!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

That's EXACTLY where mine get to spend their retirement!
    Not mine,
    I leave them on the hood of my truck, So when they fall off on the road' people will think there's a dead squirrel in the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No kiddding... I got my last three pair of gloves with some careful roadway shopping!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't understanding why people needed cramp busters on their throttle until I switched gloves!

I ride horses and have always used a pair of tackified gloves on the Spyder and on two wheels. I went on a trip down to Skyline Drive and for about 8 hours they were fine. I didn't have my winter tackified gloves with me so I switched over to a warmer pair of regular pair of gloves that still had little grippies for the ride home. About an 1.5 hours in I could feel why people use the crampbuster. I needed to use much more effort and grip.

These are the gloves I use: http://www.smartpakequine.com/neuman...ove-7998p.aspx

Even the winter weight ones aren't bulky and allow you to do just about anything. They even work with iphone touch screens

I'll need to pick up another pair of winter ones so that I can keep a pair for the spyder and a pair for the horses.

I haven't researched prices but Neumann also makes the tackified gloves that baseball players and football players wear. They may be cheaper than the horse ones and I know that they come in a variety of colors.

Edited to add, found pages of them! http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse...ackified-glove
    Last edited by Phyxius; 10-23-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

No kiddding... I got my last three pair of gloves with some careful roadway shopping!
    Wow, Did you ever get a matching pair, I always only find one,
    I'ts the same with shoes only one never a pair.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Matching pair"
    Is that like the same type of glove on each hand??
    I may not be fashionable; but I do have my own unique style!