Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Will gloves help?

Hello all,

I've noticed that after riding that the palm area of my right hand feels a little irritated/sore. Would a nice pair of riding gloves help this or is this caused by the Kung fu grip that I have on the throttle?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ease up on the kung fu grip for sure.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Gloves do help

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Hello all,

I've noticed that after riding that the palm area of my right hand feels a little irritated/sore. Would a nice pair of riding gloves help this or is this caused by the Kung fu grip that I have on the throttle?
    Relax your grip and try not to tense up. You won't tire out so quick while you're riding.
    My opinion on the gloves, if I'm going on a long trip, gloves do help out.

Spyder Garage

The standard grips on the hurt my hands even when I tried to relax. I've tried Kuryakin grips and the BRP comfort grips. Although I currently have the Kuryakins, the comforts grips with grip buddies were the most comfortable although not as "cool" looking.
    My 2011 RSS SM5 Mods all self installed: Spyder Detailing Graphics, Madstad, Kewlmetal risers, Rivco Driver Floorboards, Evoluzione Sway Bar, 25" Touring Windshield, 2010 RT Shocks, Hindle Exhaust, Isci Handbrake, Kurakyn Grips , Rivco Passenger Floorboards, Tricled fender tips and fender lights. Rivco license plate flag holder. BRP backrest. ESI tail light lens.

Spyder Garage

If easing up on the grip doesn't completely do it, go here:
    http://originalbeemerbuddies.com

They are a site sponsor.

Spyder Garage

Default Gloves

Right on about the grip, too tight a grip can lead to oversteer . Try to relax a bit, obviously you need to maintain throttle position. I wear gloves whenever I am riding, little things fly off the road, and bugs hitting your hands really sting!
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    the comforts grips with grip buddies were the most comfortable although not as "cool" looking.
    They don't look as bad when the seam isn't showing.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried a Throttle Rocker, one of those small plastic tabs that you put on the throttle grip? You can just rest the heal of your hand on it to maintain throttle position rather than grasping the throttle grip. I've used one for years on all sorts of bikes. They are cheap and they work. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Looks like you're riding the stock handlebar setup on an RS. This puts a lot of pressure on the palms of your hands from leaning into the bars.

It may be too tight a grip but if so, you're wrists and fingers will also be stiff/sore after a longer ride.

There are some great gloves on the market with some having gel pads or additional padding on the palm that you might try.

For warm weather I really like weight lifting gloves with open fingers. They give you great padding in the palm area, feel great on your hand, come in a lot of different styles (even some taylored for women) and colors, they last a long time, are easy to find and they don't cost much.

The only down side I've found is that sometimes the really cheap ones will leave color on your hands. But it washes off fairly easily.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I always wear gloves when i ride, Just a habit from riding Two wheelers for the last 40 years, So when i have to move my bikes around and don't bather to put them on i feel the gripes digging into my palm's, Also like mentioned before, The Throttle rocker is worth every penny, They also make them for the left grip and that will take pressure off your left palm.

Spyder Garage

The only reason I thoght that it may not be my grip itself is that my left hand palm doesn't have the soreness. I looked at the crampbuster online but didn't get it because I figured that it may be a user error because of my tight grip.

Spyder Garage

Default New Grips

The only reason I thoght that it may not be my grip itself is that my left hand palm doesn't have the soreness. I looked at the crampbuster online but didn't get it because I figured that it may be a user error because of my tight grip.
    I actually changed my grips to the
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips (6341)

With Throttle Boss (6318)
    The throttle boss is similar to the crampbuster. With the Throttle boss you can relax your fingers by using your palm. My opinion is that the Kuryakyn grips are more comfortable that the factory grips.

Spyder Garage

Default Gloves help

I wear gloves when ever I'm out just habit and as someone noted bugs etc can be distracting. When trying gloves on check carefully for inside seams that can be annoying after a while. My pair of half fingers has a seem in the right glove that hits in the web of my thumb and almost raises a blister on a long ride. Lots of leather dressing helped but so does moleskin or a bandaid .

Ride safe,
    Curt

Spyder Garage

Gloves are a nice addition to the driving gear. I have five different pairs from fingerless to heavy duty cold weather riding gloves. I wear gloves as a safety measure. ATGATT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I believe it's the right palm b/c of the pressure you place on it when twisting the throttle; as your wrist extends, your fingers tighten/flex around the grip.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Standard motorcycle gear (ATGATT) includes gloves. I never ride without them. One of the easiest and cheapest solutions is to buy a pair of deerskin work gloves at the home improvement store. They offer good protection, are not damaged by water, and can be bought new for every riding season if you wish. I have lots of riding gloves, but wear the deerskin work gloves the most often.

...and lighten up on that grip!
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-21-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COMFORT GLOVES

You could go to a good Bicycle shop and try some " padded " Bike gloves........just a thought......Mike

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know how the Kuryakyn ISO Grips work with the RT's heat feature?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of "mechanical cures" in here...
    Why not just try relaxing your grip first, and then see what happens.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tennis Racket Handle Wrap

Pick up a set of tennis handle wraps at any sporting goods store and wrap it around the grips. Has a bit of softness to them without making the grip bulky. Been using mine for about a year and they hold up well. Some have small holes which make for positive grip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Manual labor will toughen up your palms

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down standard grips

hi i also think you need to loosen your grip but some gloves and grips (the standard grips on the spyder are amongst the worst ive ever ridden with ) would help i put on grip puppies to make the grips fatter and softer = more comfortable for me
    cheers mick

chickridin

When I first started riding I did the death grip too. My hands really hurt after a ride. It didn't take me long to learn to lighten up on my grip. But, I do find that wearing glove still helps my hands feel better so I wear them often.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you ride any kind of motorcycle, including the Spyder, you really should wear proper riding gloves for safety (as well as all the other gear). Quality riding gloves are designed to be comfortable and will resist bursting seams plus they will stay on your hands if you contact the road. No other glove type will combine these safety factors for riders but remember, quality is all important! Just my opinion but you should avoid using gloves that are not designed specifically for motorcycle riding.