Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default P1614 Active vs Occured

A little over a week ago my 2012 RT-S would not run correctly when it started. I turned off and restarted and it did the same thing. I checked the code and it showed P1614 (Throttle Body issue). Reading on Spyderlovers I learned that if you let the engine warm up a bit then shut it down, walk away with the key for a minute then return and start it again it might run normal. This worked! This had to be repeated several times over the following week.

I took the RT to the dealer this weekend and he was able to record the code with BUDS. The code is now listed as "Occured". I was told that BRP would not replace the throttle body until it shows the code as "Active".

My question is, as long as I am able to reset the code and get the spyder running will the code only be shown as "Occured"? Will the code only show up as "Active" if I have the RT towed to the dealer without doing the warmup and restart the next time this occurs?

The tech did two updates, one for the ECU, that came out since July 7th when I picked up the new RT. These may fixed the issue but form past posts it seemed like a short term patch.

Thanks!

Jeff

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this difficulty...
    I think that they may want to see that the problem has gotten to a point where the throttle body is no longer functioning without causing the computer to mess up...
    Gradually, the number of times that your bike throws this code will increase and grow more frequent.
    The GOOD news, is that you can do a lot of riding while it's in this current condition.
    If you tow the bike to the dealer before it pops a code... then nothing is going to show up! It needs to be in that active, "Oh Crap!" moment for it to count.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am not aware of a change in policy on BRP's part that would only replace the TB at the moment the code is active. I would ask to see the bulletin that revised their policy. I think the tech is confused, for want of a better term. If the problem occurs again, since the update, insist that it be fixed. They have an obligation to do so, by whatever means necessary. If it does not happen again, your tech did the right thing, and you can ride on.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am not aware of a change in policy on BRP's part that would only replace the TB at the moment the code is active. I would ask to see the bulletin that revised their policy. I think the tech is confused, for want of a better term. If the problem occurs again, since the update, insist that it be fixed. They have an obligation to do so, by whatever means necessary. If it does not happen again, your tech did the right thing, and you can ride on.
    The tech said that the BUDS needs to record the code as "Avtive" for them to get paid to replace it. I thought with all these problems that they were going to replace them once it starts throwing codes. I'll just wait to see if it happens again. I worry I will get stuck when it won't start and run right. Its 45 miles to the dealer and I don't have a trailer to haul it myself. We all know that the Spyder is always on its best behavor when you take it to the dealer.

Right now I will keep riding until the snow falls.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    The tech said that the BUDS needs to record the code as "Avtive" for them to get paid to replace it. I thought with all these problems that they were going to replace them once it starts throwing codes. I'll just wait to see if it happens again. I worry I will get stuck when it won't start and run right. Its 45 miles to the dealer and I don't have a trailer to haul it myself. We all know that the Spyder is always on its best behavor when you take it to the dealer.

Right now I will keep riding until the snow falls.
    The original warranty campaign (2011-0008) said noting about active codes, just four throttle body codes that triggered TB replacement in addition to the update. If that has changed, have them show the revised policy to you in writing...otherwise they are just blowing smoke. Very few codes on a Spyder remain as active when they are downloaded via BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Really !!