Spyder Garage

Default GL1800 (The Perfect Touring Machine) ?

Yesterday, 10:51 PM
    Motogordo
    Road Rider

GL1800 (The Perfect Touring Machine)

Oct. 17, 2012
    I was just thinking about all the articles about the Harley motorcycles. They are always talking about modifications to the engine carburetors, forks, oil coolers, mufflers and many other components. However, I never ever see any articles such as those on the Honda sites. It seems as though the Honda almost never sees the service departments at the dealers. How interesting. Besides an article or two on custom seats for the big and tall men there is nothing else talked about except possibly what Kuryakan chrome goodies can be added to the 900 lbs of PERFECTION.
    I think one of the things that makes the Harley's popular is the fact that they can do all kinds of service to them. Besides all the chrome that can be added, you can also tweak the carbs and the engine. That is alot of fun for the do it yourselfers. Maybe the Goldwings are too boring for the Harley guys. I can understand that. Variety is the spice of life. I know that first hand since I am ALWAYS trading in my cycles, boats and cars. If I didn't, I would be bored stiff. It's almost as if the Harley's came in kit form for the DIY's. I use to love building kits from scratch. At least the Harley's come completely built, but you can still modify them if you wish to. Kudos to all the Harley riders. Ride and enjoy your machines.
    Motogordo

Motogordo
    Oct. 18, 2012
    I posted this on Honda Trikes and Harley Trikes. I figured I should also post this here on Spyderlovers since I had a 2011 RTS/SE5 for a year. All the Harley riders are always talking about servicing their machines. I now realize that the SPYDERS also had many service problems and technical help was always required. One guy mentioned that it would be really nice if Canam put the GL1800 engine in their Spyders. Maybe after 30 years or so there won't be any issues for the RT. I am sure all types of problems DO get worked out over time. My Spyder was excellent and I had NO mechanical or computer problems after riding 5000 miles in the one year I had it. Kudos to Spyder's. The ONLY reason I traded in my RTS was because my eyes lit up after seeing the 2005 GL1800 Lehman Moncarch II Trike on the showroom floor at "East Coast Cycle Center" of Bensalem,Pa. All the BLING said "Buy Me" and so I did. I try to keep the economy going. As I said once before" I lose money on every trade in deal, but make it up in volume." LOL. I am definitely an impulse buyer.

Motogordo (Gordon L.)

This post refers mainly to Harleys and Hondas.
    Last edited by Motogordo; 10-18-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added paragraphs

Spyder Garage

for a touring machine its much too heavy ..

the 1800 engine is ......278 pounds
    ths Rotax Spyder V2 .. 143 pounds

thats it ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    for a touring machine its much too heavy ..

the 1800 engine is ......278 pounds
    ths Rotax Spyder V2 .. 143 pounds

thats it ..
    10/18/12

I think I was referring to a GL1800 trike where the weight doesn't really matter. Yes, the GL engine is not a light weight. LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt; the 'Wings are a great ride!
    I'd like to see one set up in a reverse trike configuration though. The "conventionals" have some limitations that concern me...
    Just don't trike-it by sticking a Roketa front-end on it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default goldwing-spyder

DSC06712.jpg

I thihk that is this enough cc for one Spyder!!!
    Do you wont more pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'd like to see one set up in a reverse trike configuration though. The "conventionals" have some limitations that concern me...

Spyder Garage

10/18/2012

How do you compare the differences between the Spyder and the GL1800 trike when it comes to handling speed and curves and as to which is more likely to lift a wheel if you speed ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sinisa View Post
    DSC06712.jpg

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. Too bad they are not mainstream yet.

Daryl A Rausch
    Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    "Cheese City"

"It ain't easy being Cheesey"

Spyder Garage

Default 4 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Bike View Post
    THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. Too bad they are not mainstream yet.
    4 wheel.jpg

Daryl A Rausch
    Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    "Cheese City"

"It ain't easy being Cheesey"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DSC06712.jpg

Heck Yes! With some details too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    10/18/2012

How do you compare the differences between the Spyder and the GL1800 trike when it comes to handling speed and curves and as to which is more likely to lift a wheel if you speed ?
    Motorcycle steering is designed for vehicles which "bank" or lean into curves. Three wheeled platforms don't do that. You can paint them up and cover them with bling, but the engineering of conventional trikes is still wrong. My old GS SE5 easily outperforms the local triker guys in the twisties ( although I do admit to beefing up the suspension). I'm not saying that some really skilled trike pilot could not beat me, but I believe the Spyder is the more agile design.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    10/18/2012

Lifting a wheel was never mentioned by me.
    I was concerned more about the potential for "head shake" on the conventionals if you hit something funky in the road... I was also curious about the tendancy for conventionals to push the front end in the twisties...

Spyder Garage

DSC06712.jpg

I Like It,

What was it before what it is now?

Who did the customizing?

How much would this set you back?

More pictures please.

Nexus

Spyder Garage

Lifting a wheel was never mentioned by me.
    I was concerned more about the potential for "head shake" on the conventionals if you hit something funky in the road... I was also curious about the tendancy for conventionals to push the front end in the twisties...
    Oct. 18, 2012
    One thing I did learn about the GL Trikes is that if you hit something in the road or go over a manhole cover, make sure you go over it with the front wheel and not the rear wheels. It jumps alot less when you do that. I am learning more and more each day from riding and also from the cycle forums. The only bug that I find with the solid axle is when you hit bumps in the road you do the "Shimmy Shake". I guess there is nothing you can do about that unless you change to an Independent Rear Suspension. The IRS definitely smooths out the bumpy roads. Would you believe that I forgot how my 2011 RTS/SE5 feels compared to the Wing. I believe East Coast Cycle Center still has it for sale. I have never seen sooooo many 's at one location. Also he had about 15 Goldwings for sale. New and used. I already forgot what the front end of the feels like when I hit bumps and make turns. You're right when you say all of us should have Spyders and GL Trikes in our garages. However, that means 2 X $27,000 = $54,000....... If I was married, my wife would probably leave me due to more interest in the Motor Toys then her. LOL
    By the way, does the RTS/SE5 have front wheel independent suspension ? Also, does the drive shaft connect to both or only one wheel and is it a live axle ? I don't think I ever run out of thoughts. Is that what happens when we have too much time on our hands ? LOL. I was wondering as to which of the two types of cycles are better for long range touring and which is better for short hauls ? As far as bumpy roads and lots of turns, how would you compare the two ?
    Gordon L. (Delanco, New Jersey)
    Last edited by Motogordo; 10-18-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added paragraphs

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I was also curious about the tendancy for conventionals to push the front end in the twisties...
    I never had that happen with my Tri Glide, The steering 'is'' much heavier on my Tri than the Spyder, and i like it that way.

But like i said a few times before the TRI isn't for every one,!

Spyder Garage

Default GL1800 and RT LTD

My wife bought a 2011 RT LTD last year, while I have been riding a 2005 GL1800 DFT Trike for 7 years. I have loved riding her Spyder so much that I went and bought a 2012 RT LTD at the beginning of August this year. I have to say that I absolutely love the Spyder, but also love the GL1800 Trike as well. The initial plan was to sell one of my toys next spring, but at this point I think I have convinced the wife that we need to keep all of the toys[2005GoldWing trike, 2011 RT LTD and 2012 RT LTD]. I have to say I have the best wife ever.

Rick

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder 2012 RT SE5 and don't know much about GL1800 except alot of good things less bad. Maybe it's a good idea to merge all the best features of these two machines and call her SPYWING 1800. GL1800 with front suspension two tires (DPS). Love to have one of this SPYWING What do you guys and gals think or any input of this idea? I wish I can make a picture (photoshop) to show what she will look like. I'm sure some of our member can Please help. Jer

Spyder Garage

Default spywing

DSC06256.jpgDSC06257.jpgDSC06258.jpgDSC06699.jpg

This bike is manufacture by one company from Holand.

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    I love my Spyder 2012 RT SE5 and don't know much about GL1800 except alot of good things less bad. Maybe it's a good idea to merge all the best features of these two machines and call her SPYWING 1800. GL1800 with front suspension two tires (DPS). Love to have one of this SPYWING What do you guys and gals think or any input of this idea? I wish I can make a picture (photoshop) to show what she will look like. I'm sure some of our member can Please help. Jer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Spywing

This are mine wehicles, and I hope that soon I will get "spywing".

P1010119.jpg
    P1010124.jpgP1010140.jpgP1010150.jpgP1010163.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage