Spyder Garage

Default Happened again...

Well, it happened again. Went out to get on the Spyder and the entire electrical system is dead...nothing. Can't even jump it. Waiting for the dealer to call back, though at this rate it doesn't look like I'll have anything to ride to Daytona either Friday or Saturday.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awww.. CRUD!
    What was the source of this issue the last time?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bands

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Well, it happened again. Went out to get on the Spyder and the entire electrical system is dead...nothing. Can't even jump it. Waiting for the dealer to call back, though at this rate it doesn't look like I'll have anything to ride to Daytona either Friday or Saturday.

Really cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

How long had it been sitting? Did you have a battery tender on it? Did you try and put a battery charger on it for a while?

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

The last time they thought it was a bad battery. This time...well, it's a new battery, so...

It was not on a battery tender since it was only sitting for a couple of days. I'm going to try a battery charger to see if we can get it started, then drive it to the dealer so we can avoid another $70 (after AMA free mileage) and they can go inside again. If the charger doesn't work, well...it's only money, I suppose.

SOMETHING inside obviously isn't right. No problems at all for the first 5500 miles. Now this has happened twice in two weeks.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep an eye on Dave01; he's battling a very similar gremlin in his ryde! Gremlin.jpg

Spyder Garage

Is there not enough power for the lights/dash?

If there is, sorry for the obvious but I'm going to ask just in case, I know you know what your doing but some times worth asking.

Make sure the engine cut off is not set (I know, I know), try starting with the brake peddle down.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear your RT has had a repeat of the problem.I am the one you recommended to CFPS and a few weeks back when I was up there you posted the 1st problem.I had hoped to meet you that Saturday.Hope it's nothing serious and the dealer repairs it once and for all.

Ivor
    Last edited by Ivorspyder; 10-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default And YES it has happened to me 2x! GRRRRRR!

It has occurred after my spyder 2011RT-SE5 has been parked for a week. Put it on a charger for 1 Hr and system came back alive. I will be contacting my dealership and see if they had heard of or experienced this themselves with floor models

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Is there not enough power for the lights/dash?
    Nope. Absolutely nothing. Putting it on a charger in the morning and we'll see what happens.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

spacetrucker

Default Happened again...

Check grounds on the front trunk hard to get to but that one always loose, look all on bike. Put lock washers on all grounds and hot side to, get a battery charger that's goes from 13.1 to 14.1 ...that is what the bike battery takes to full charge up. The battery tenter dose not hole to the 14.1 so battery dose not really get a good charge. A must have 13.1 to 14.1 for a full charge. Glass mats battery's new full charger to hole charge ok?? Look at all grounds and hot side hook up. You will find one loose. Good luck. That was my down fall for about a week long deal on battery. Now works great. Seya

Spyder Garage

Charger didn't do anything. The dealer is coming out with a trailer (over 50 miles!) to pick it up and we'll see what happens. I'd like to have it back by Saturday so I can ride into Daytona, but I'm not sure that's doable. At least the dealer is working with me!
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

That could be doable. If the dealer works on it this afternoon, gives it a double check tomorrow morning and returns it to you tomorrow afternoon, you will have it back for Saturday. I hope so.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear that Phil

keep us posted here and on SRA

Spyder Garage

Too bad Phil. Let us know how this pans out? Is CFPS picking it up?
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    Too bad Phil. Let us know how this pans out? Is CFPS picking it up?
    They picked it up yesterday. Hope they have it solved sometime tomorrow.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Dealer called me today and said the problem was corroded wires in the radio assembly...that and possibly something in the ignition was combining to drain the battery to nothing. They're going to consult with BRP and have ordered new parts for the assembly. Hoping to have it back by sometime next week.

The REALLY great thing was they gave me a loaner (2011 RT S in the same color as my RT AC) so I'll have something to ryde in the meantime. VERY happy about that...I'm going to cruise by Biketoberfest tomorrow.

Central Florida Powersports is bending over backwards to keep me going!

I'm also buying a battery tender...

Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I just knew we picked the right dealer to do our servicing even though it's further away.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    I just knew we picked the right dealer to do our servicing even though it's further away.
    I am traveling 200 miles round trip to do my servicing with Central Florida Powersports instead of 45 miles.It pays to the have peace of mind with a really good dealer

Ivor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    I am traveling 200 miles round trip to do my servicing with Central Florida Powersports instead of 45 miles.It pays to the have peace of mind with a really good dealer

Ivor
    It's good to see a dealer going the extra mile. CFPS would be my next choice based on my location. I just spent a week and a half without my spyder at Seminole powersports, they were a little slow with getting things done ( busy week with sanford bikefest then biketoberfest) but they treated me right in the end financially to compensate. I have to say they did right by me even though I did not buy my spyder from them, they just happened to be the closest.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Same with Phil and I. Neither of us bought our Spyders from them but they have earned our business with the treatment we received from taking them in for routine service.

Spyder Garage

Default where are these wires?

Dealer called me today and said the problem was corroded wires in the radio assembly...that and possibly something in the ignition was combining to drain the battery to nothing. They're going to consult with BRP and have ordered new parts for the assembly. Hoping to have it back by sometime next week.

The REALLY great thing was they gave me a loaner (2011 RT S in the same color as my RT AC) so I'll have something to ryde in the meantime. VERY happy about that...I'm going to cruise by Biketoberfest tomorrow.

Central Florida Powersports is bending over backwards to keep me going!

I'm also buying a battery tender...

Anyone know where this wire radio assembly is on the spyder? In the dash I guess? I want to pull and check mine before something happens.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Phil,
    Glad to hear that you're up and on three!
    It'll be tough giving back the "S"...