Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Indicator switch driving me crazy

Hi.
    Has anybody had this problem with the indicator switch?
    Instead of cancelling when you push it centrally, it indicates left Thought it was me at first, when riding, but tried it when stationery with no gloves on and it still does it.

Spyder Garage

Default Switch

Hold switch down for one second and it will center.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Hold switch down for one second and it will center.
    If i push it centrally, it still indicates left..... Is there something i am missing here? Been riding motorbikes for years.. very simple process on the indicators... push switch right..to indicate right, switch returns to centre...... Push switch to cancel.... Same process for turning left...
    Is there something different about these bikes?

Spyder Garage

Here is an extensive thread on this problem:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-signal-return

Spyder Garage

Not a perfect solution for a switch on a very expensive machine. Holding in the switch one to two seconds always cancels it.

The should have a switch that works every time without the mickey mouse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamgirls View Post
    Hi.
    Has anybody had this problem with the indicator switch?
    Instead of cancelling when you push it centrally, it indicates left Thought it was me at first, when riding, but tried it when stationery with no gloves on and it still does it.
    Patience.

Push and hold... it will cancel.

Not the greatest design but we have learned to live with it.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Nice to see this come up at this time. I just test rode a 2012 RS and a 2012 RT last week. I thought I was the problem because I wasn't familiar with the machine. Come to find out, it WAS the darn switch. I ride a BMW RT right now, so I am familiar with the push-to-cancel switchology. Never had a problem before. I do have smaller hands, so it was a little more difficult to get a straight push on the switch every time, but the switch itself seemed a bit flimsy compared to the BMW switch. For the money, I think BRP could get a handle on this. 2013, maybe? Hope so, because I am really looking at the ST.

See ya on the road!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies I will keep trying the push and hold technique. I guess the fact that they are self cancelling after you turn is what makes the whole switch system more crazy. Perhaps it is a bit too technical for its' own good. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained i guess.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A redesigned switch should be considered by BRP now, but for existing Spyder owners wth this problem mine included -

It would have been good if BRP could find a way to enable riders to use the PTT Switch
    (When the CB Radio is not going to be fitted ) as a manual cancel switch for the turn signals

Maybe something could have been configured in the Menu to allow this function - The switch is easy to use and they would not have to change the handlebar layout
    BRP software engineers should look at this and if it could be done - Dealers could use BUDS when owners are getting their Spyders serviced for the software update

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    A redesigned switch should be considered by BRP now, but for existing Spyder owners wth this problem mine included -

It would have been good if BRP could find a way to enable riders to use the PTT Switch
    (When the CB Radio is not going to be fitted ) as a manual cancel switch for the turn signals

Maybe something could have been configured in the Menu to allow this function - The switch is easy to use and they would not have to change the handlebar layout
    BRP software engineers should look at this and if it could be done - Dealers could use BUDS when owners are getting their Spyders serviced for the software update

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Great idea, now if BRP will just take it to heart and do something about this everyone would be happier campers.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay; Quick Poll!
    Who's going to trade in their Spyder because they improve the turnsignal switch??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That exact scenario happed to me yesterday on the highway, and I was sure that the turn signal was cancelled only to find the left signal blinking. It happened more than once and the last time I was watching the signal very carefully. I did have gloves on, I always ride with gloves. Guess I'll find the sweet spot of the switch and be happy. Nothing else to complain about, I love this Spyder!
    NHL Hockey - Still the greatest game on earth! Let's Go Flyers!
    2012 RT Limited, Lava Bronze / Tan "Scootie", Ultimate seat and other goodies.
    2016 Voltage 3970, Full Paint and all options
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, 6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10 Tow Monster
    The old rig, the ride and the RAM CTD at KOA, Spyderfest 2013 & 2014 (same camp site!)

Spyder Garage

Finally took my 2012 RT to the dealer to replace the switch. In my case I couldn't get the left signal to turn on at all 1/2 the time. Then it wouldn't shut off, 2 second hold or not. Finally started sticking my left arm out, but only half my arm can be seen. Husband says it looks like I am drying my nails. or waiving at good looking gentlemen.

I can deal with the 2 second delay.....I hope...... I pick it up Tuesday, so we will see.
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Default FWIW

For what it's worth.......................
    After about 20,000 miles, the switch seems to settle down.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or it tales us 20,000 miles to get the correct routine sorted out...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black