Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default smell of gasoline after parking up

Hi.
    Got a new RT S. Just put the first 100 miles on it today. However, when i got home and parked it up in the garage, there seemed to be a strong smell of gasoline. From what i can see, there doesn't seem to be any visible evidence of a gasoline leak. Is it normal?

Spyder Garage

Check you have the fuel cap on properly, happened to me once and it appeared I had the fuel cap 'cross threaded' took it off and redid it up properly... job done!

HTH

BTW is that Cheshire, England?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Check you have the fuel cap on properly, happened to me once and it appeared I had the fuel cap 'cross threaded' took it off and redid it up properly... job done!

HTH

BTW is that Cheshire, England?
    Yes that's correct, CHESHIRE ENGLAND
    The smell seems to be coming from underneath the bike oddly But i will check the fuel cap again tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks for the quick reply

Spyder Garage

Did just fill up? If so yes it is normal.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Did just fill up? If so yes it is normal.
    filled up about 50 miles before hand....

Spyder Garage

Mine did this when new but now that it has 6500 miles on it the problem seems to have gone away. Can't explain it but, it is gone. And, by the way, the fill process that I use is the same now as when it was new.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Try not to overfill the tank. I park mine in my basement and never have had a gas smell. I tend to stick the gas pistol in a couple of inches and when the pump stops, I cap it! I know some people would rather top it up to get as much in as possible, but that does not leave any room and I find the little extra you get in won't make a difference! I have a 2012 RT.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamgirls View Post
    Yes that's correct, CHESHIRE ENGLAND
    AHA! I only asked 'coz I was born in Sale, when it used to be in Cheshire..

Spyder Garage

If you filled it with the nozzle in about two to three inches and not top off you should not get the smell. When you fill it to the top the canister can get some fuel in it and you will get the smell.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black