Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

It will happen, BRP have enough patents for it to have been done pretty much successfully now, there must be a deciding factor holding them up somewhere. I think a lot of people are overlooking the amount of successful leaning scooters already in the market, scooters aren't a big market in Aus and I doubt they are in US but in Europe where they are the leaner is loved.

Everyone wants to see it happen and it is the natural progression and best technology in theory so develop it properly and its a bag full of win. Its already been done successfully so just follow the bouncing ball.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to throw the proverbial wet blanket on this...
    Sometimes a company files all of the patents so that they can control the technology and hold a product back and on the shelf for an "indeterminate" length of time.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It isn't consistent with the HD brand, and for that reason alone it would make little sense to have an HD branded "reverse" trike, at least as we know it now. It just doesn't fit a brand that is so much about status when trikes aren't taken as seriously as bikes by so many HD riders.
    Last edited by MRH; 10-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A VERY good point!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not to throw the proverbial wet blanket on this...
    Sometimes a company files all of the patents so that they can control the technology and hold a product back and on the shelf for an "indeterminate" length of time.
    To stop anyone doing it to them? Is that the point?

I mean their patents are particular to the Spyder and only particular to their design of leaning trike. So what are the Patents going to particularly protect then when others already have leaning trikes out there (all scooters I think in production) and nobody else can make a Spyder already they have patents that protect the Spyder so the objective of these patents when there are already a number of other patented systems and any number of more that may be made?

I'm not sure if you can apply patent retrospectively so I dont think so so they would if they are taking a protectionist point of view only protecting a future Spyder not yet made and unable to be made by anyone else already? If they are taking a protectionist view then they are only doing it to protect their own leaning system they have designed thats about it isn't it? I dont know the US patent system inside out at all really.

But thats the most I can see coming out of it is they have a design in mind for a model and are protecting it or else its a bit of a waste as it not a very unique system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    To stop anyone doing it to them? Is that the point?
    Yup...

Spyder Garage

I think that one fits better for the HD family ..hd-4-wheels.jpg
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey... I LIKE that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup...
    Wont stop anyone for old models because they cant lodge it for previous models as can be seen by the amount of OEM products of every type for every type of machine Case in point, Muzzy, or from here Glo-rider and ISCI. But I'll have a read of the patents and see if they tried that as I think I said above it only protects the idea they have for a a system that would work as a leaning trike. It wont even stop someone doing another system of leaning Trike on their bikes in the future because that patent only applies to a piece and its use, so use a different piece and the patent is stepped around faster than a running back.

I'll have a look at their patents one day and see if they are trying to patent all models to one system but it wouldn't be allowed. They become personal property after they get bought. Thats my very loose understanding of it, so do feel free to give me some more info. Cheers
    Last edited by SXSMachine; 10-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Consumers Choice

My not wanting a Harley Trike of any type with my money is my choice. Do you see Harley Crotch Rockets? Maybe the Night Rod?? hahahaha http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...d-special.html There are things some Companies are good at and makes their brand. Others just copy after seeing success.
    They were called Buell until Eric Buell decided to use a Rotax engine in the 1125R instead of the sportster motor. HD shut em down pretty fast after that. The VROD line are not crotch rockets, not even close. They (the motorcycle press) classify it as a power cruiser.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Power cruisers? Hmmmm......
    Sorry! I don't see them in that category any more than I'd put a GoldWing in there!
    Sportbike, supersportbike, superdupersportbike, whatever you call them; they're it!