Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Will Harley Davidson ever bring their reverse trike to market?

Just wondering if Harley Davidson will ever consider selling their reverse trike after seeing great success from the Spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy; but I wouldn't bet on the Penstar coming out of a premature retirement...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honda has the funding, the engineers, and the know-how.
    If they decided to pull the trigger on a reverse trike project; there'd be a real shake-up...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I Have to agree with you , it would be great to have some competition for BRP. The result is always positive for better service and product.

Spyder Garage

Default Will Harley Davidson ever bring their reverse trike to market?

your so right

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honda has the funding, the engineers, and the know-how.
    If they decided to pull the trigger on a reverse trike project; there'd be a real shake-up...
    The Spyder is a remarkable machine. My hope is that BRP will continue to refine it and make it a worry free platform. I say that with honest candor. Spyderlovers will help in that development.

I had a Honda Shadow Sabre for six trouble free years . (granted that platform has been around for a long time with much refinement)
    I think every one of the members here that have had 100000 mile Wings and Beemers expect this kind of reliability. The Wing has been around since 1975, I think, with several iterations, it's own set of issues, and much refinement. It has become one of, if not the most desirable touring bike. My hope is that the Spyder will become that also. Honda Dealers are everywhere. My maintenance parts were always available. My service experiences were good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've owned many Honda over the years and they've all been top notch machines.
    I also did a stint at a Honda/Kawasaki dealership putting together bikes... The Hondas were actually a much better bike under the skin.
    This is no knock against Can Am... I'd like to think that they could bring their expertise to bear, and someday rival Honda in build quality.

Spyder Garage

Just being an honest consumer here...

I would not even look at a Harley Reverse Trike.

Now a Honda or BMW... Phew... Definitely would go looking. And depending one the results/powerplant choices... It would be a very hard choice to make between either of those camps and BRP.

That is a complement to BRP. Had a person asked me this question in 2009 I would not have given BRP a chance. They have done quite well in changing a lot of our minds. This does not remove the challenges anyone can have with any company of course...

Heck add Buell or Suzuki to that list and let's party!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When a rule is perceived as acceptable to be applied to a group of bikes, but is considered unacceptable (taboo) when applied to another bike is......please help, can't find that two words term...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Somehow I can't see HD bundling up all the electronic wizardry that makes a reverse trike safe and not an accident waiting to happen.

Now if Honda ever decided to do it ......
    You need electronic wizardry? I'm not sure what you're referring to in this case but I thought that a lot of other systems were running pretty well mechanically. So I'm not sure of the components your referring to in order for a static from end to be safe.

I know a lot of touring bikes even two wheelers are running ABS and Traction control, but we all got along just fine before they were around didn't we?

Love to hear more on that because I always consider myself a student of the game.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may not HAVE to be there; but without it, BRP would not have brought the Spyder to market.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If HD brings a reverse trike to market, let 'em. Competition would be good. But like all their other bikes, the competition will sweep the floor with em. It'll be everything the Spyder is not: heavy, slow, old fashioned.

Now, if Honda comes out with one... I'd be the first to try it. Honda technology, build quality, reliability, and maybe the butter smooth Goldwing motor? Win.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm missing something but could you name another modern reverse trike that doesn't have an electronic VSS system?
    Buy yourself a fish sandwich if you can. Those Chinese knock-offs don't count.

Yes you do need electronic wizardry to mass market a reverse trike configuration.
    Without the Bosch VSS there would be more of these puppies flipped into the boonies than you could count.

Ever wonder why no one (okay, I know there were a few tried) ever did it before successfully?
    The reverse trike is inherently unstable in turns.
    Should start at the start and that the Penstart is a "leaning" reverse trike. It was likely a bad comparison in the first place to put Penstar and Can Am in the same sentence

I'm not sure of the fish sandwich reference.

In terms of vertical stability systems I agree that a lot more people would have flipped Spyders because they DONT lean. So all the forces are forced Vertically and the CoG just moves further and further towards the tipping point the faster and harder you corner.

Now in terms of systems comparative to the Penstar I haven't seen a reverse trike WITH VSS because they dont need it because they mechanically move the CoG into the corner as you turn and the tipping point is never reached.

So companies like Tiltingworks, Tremoto and anybody else I have ever seen with a leaning system I havent seen a VSS on.

The GG Taurus the only other static reverse trike I can think of at the moment doesn't mention any VSS in its technical or assembly specs but that's as much as I know about is but it didn't come from the BMW engine management system so I'm going to make a guess at not.

I cant think of one outside the Spyder that does, it uses the Bosch car system, which is why I asked the question of who and what components?? So do you have a sample of a trike or quad even that uses a VSS on a road bike? I'd just like to look over the details thats all. Its not a personal challenge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was waiting for you to join the party...
    Nobody else a system like this in play; probably because it cost BRP a ton of cash to get it, and then even more to implement it...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

The Penstar, Tiltingworks, GG Taurus or Tremoto are very low volume products aimed at enthusiasts and not the mass market.
    I can't comment on their systems but I doubt if a major manufacturer would bring out a trike without some form of vehicle stability system due to the instability of the reverse trike configuration.

A VSS (not necessarily the Bosch) is, IMHO, necessary on a vehicle like the Spyder if it is going to be mass marketed.
    The Harley Penstar collaboration isn't mass market??

At any rate I agree with your statement whole heartedly that a static reverse or even static quad motorcycles are too unstable in turns for my liking as well. I do agree that Can Am wouldn't have released the Spyder without VSS and they shouldn't have either, better when breaking a market to do it more conservatively than you have to.

I still have no idea about the fish sandwich and neither did another American I asked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No Trike should, IMHO, be considered as a vehicle that has been designed for the mass market... Motorcycles on the whole are more of a niche market vehicle anyway...
    (Again; just my humble, uninformed and otherwise unintelligent opinion)

Spyder Garage

Can I buy a Harley Penster?
    I don't consider an unreleased product mass market.
    In fact it looks more now like it has been permanently shelved so unless you have driven one I don't think you can make any viable comments as to the handling.

And, my friend, I appreciate all the reasons you don't like the Spyder so you have the option of waiting for a Harley Penster or, I hope, you are in a position to purchase one of the more exotic brands you listed.

Good luck to you & g'day.
    If there has to be luck afforded may it be afforded you, it seems you need it more.