Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Member Tin Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middlebury, CT
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Will Harley Davidson ever bring their reverse trike to market?

    Just wondering if Harley Davidson will ever consider selling their reverse trike after seeing great success from the Spyder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley Davidson Reverse Trike.jpeg 
Views:	269 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	55427  
    2012 Spyder RT AC


  2. #2
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My crystal ball is a bit cloudy; but I wouldn't bet on the Penstar coming out of a premature retirement...

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  3. #3
    village idiot Rattigan_Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rattigan, PA
    Posts
    5,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Somehow I can't see HD bundling up all the electronic wizardry that makes a reverse trike safe and not an accident waiting to happen.

    Now if Honda ever decided to do it ......

  4. Thanks btcherm thanked for this post
    Likes IGETAROUND, btcherm liked this post
  5. #4
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Honda has the funding, the engineers, and the know-how.
    If they decided to pull the trigger on a reverse trike project; there'd be a real shake-up...

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  6. Thanks btcherm thanked for this post
    Likes btcherm liked this post
  7. #5
    Member Tin Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Middlebury, CT
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I Have to agree with you , it would be great to have some competition for BRP. The result is always positive for better service and product.
    2012 Spyder RT AC


  8. Thanks btcherm thanked for this post
    Likes btcherm liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member btcherm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Howard City, Michigan
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Will Harley Davidson ever bring their reverse trike to market?

    your so right

  10. #7
    Senior Member OldDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Circleville,Ohio
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Honda has the funding, the engineers, and the know-how.
    If they decided to pull the trigger on a reverse trike project; there'd be a real shake-up...
    The Spyder is a remarkable machine. My hope is that BRP will continue to refine it and make it a worry free platform. I say that with honest candor. Spyderlovers will help in that development.

    I had a Honda Shadow Sabre for six trouble free years . (granted that platform has been around for a long time with much refinement)
    I think every one of the members here that have had 100000 mile Wings and Beemers expect this kind of reliability. The Wing has been around since 1975, I think, with several iterations, it's own set of issues, and much refinement. It has become one of, if not the most desirable touring bike. My hope is that the Spyder will become that also. Honda Dealers are everywhere. My maintenance parts were always available. My service experiences were good.

  11. #8
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've owned many Honda over the years and they've all been top notch machines.
    I also did a stint at a Honda/Kawasaki dealership putting together bikes... The Hondas were actually a much better bike under the skin.
    This is no knock against Can Am... I'd like to think that they could bring their expertise to bear, and someday rival Honda in build quality.

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  12. Likes IGETAROUND liked this post
  13. #9
    Senior Member IWN2RYD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Puget Sound, WA.
    Posts
    1,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just being an honest consumer here...

    I would not even look at a Harley Reverse Trike.

    Now a Honda or BMW... Phew... Definitely would go looking. And depending one the results/powerplant choices... It would be a very hard choice to make between either of those camps and BRP.

    That is a complement to BRP. Had a person asked me this question in 2009 I would not have given BRP a chance. They have done quite well in changing a lot of our minds. This does not remove the challenges anyone can have with any company of course...

    Heck add Buell or Suzuki to that list and let's party!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

    Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already to late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

  14. Likes IGETAROUND liked this post
  15. #10
    Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    5,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When a rule is perceived as acceptable to be applied to a group of bikes, but is considered unacceptable (taboo) when applied to another bike is......please help, can't find that two words term...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

  16. #11
    Senior Member IWN2RYD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Puget Sound, WA.
    Posts
    1,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    When a rule is perceived as acceptable to be applied to a group of bikes, but is considered unacceptable (taboo) when applied to another bike is......please help, can't find that two words term...
    Consumers Choice


    My not wanting a Harley Trike of any type with my money is my choice. Do you see Harley Crotch Rockets? Maybe the Night Rod?? hahahaha http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...d-special.html There are things some Companies are good at and makes their brand. Others just copy after seeing success.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

    Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already to late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

  17. Likes IGETAROUND liked this post
  18. #12
    Thinks out loud Jerbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    La Quinta, Ca.
    Posts
    4,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    When a rule is perceived as acceptable to be applied to a group of bikes, but is considered unacceptable (taboo) when applied to another bike is......please help, can't find that two words term...
    What if - versus - reality

    Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

  19. #13
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    16,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have been saying it for years, and also mentioned it in another thread yesterday.

    I would probably not buy a HD reverse trike, since I did not like the ergo's and feel of the current tri-glide.

    If Honda were to come out with a reverse trike, I would be one of the first to test drive and check it out.

    Not sure about BMW--but would probably check them out too.

    Some competition would be good for all of the consumers.

    There I go again--never to be considered for ambassadorship--even after 4 spyders purchased.






    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

    Previously Owned: 2008 GS-SM5 (half moon silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    Five Spyders, Seven years, and over 111,000 miles with the brand.


  20. #14
    Senior Member Dragonrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canby, OR
    Posts
    2,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The "Too Kool" bikes are available now, and the V-rod version will be out in the Spring - that one I'd look at:

    http://www.tookoolcycles.com/blog/video-2/
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

  21. #15
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    When a rule is perceived as acceptable to be applied to a group of bikes, but is considered unacceptable (taboo) when applied to another bike is......please help, can't find that two words term...
    Would they be "", and ""?

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  22. #16
    Senior Member SXSMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Somehow I can't see HD bundling up all the electronic wizardry that makes a reverse trike safe and not an accident waiting to happen.

    Now if Honda ever decided to do it ......
    You need electronic wizardry? I'm not sure what you're referring to in this case but I thought that a lot of other systems were running pretty well mechanically. So I'm not sure of the components your referring to in order for a static from end to be safe.

    I know a lot of touring bikes even two wheelers are running ABS and Traction control, but we all got along just fine before they were around didn't we?

    Love to hear more on that because I always consider myself a student of the game.

  23. #17
    village idiot Rattigan_Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rattigan, PA
    Posts
    5,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    You need electronic wizardry? I'm not sure what you're referring to in this case but I thought that a lot of other systems were running pretty well mechanically. So I'm not sure of the components your referring to in order for a static from end to be safe.

    I know a lot of touring bikes even two wheelers are running ABS and Traction control, but we all got along just fine before they were around didn't we?

    Love to hear more on that because I always consider myself a student of the game.
    Maybe I'm missing something but could you name another modern reverse trike that doesn't have an electronic VSS system?
    Buy yourself a fish sandwich if you can. Those Chinese knock-offs don't count.

    Yes you do need electronic wizardry to mass market a reverse trike configuration.
    Without the Bosch VSS there would be more of these puppies flipped into the boonies than you could count.

    Ever wonder why no one (okay, I know there were a few tried) ever did it before successfully?
    The reverse trike is inherently unstable in turns.
    Last edited by Rattigan_Roger; 10-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.

  24. #18
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It may not HAVE to be there; but without it, BRP would not have brought the Spyder to market.

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  25. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If HD brings a reverse trike to market, let 'em. Competition would be good. But like all their other bikes, the competition will sweep the floor with em. It'll be everything the Spyder is not: heavy, slow, old fashioned.

    Now, if Honda comes out with one... I'd be the first to try it. Honda technology, build quality, reliability, and maybe the butter smooth Goldwing motor? Win.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 06 Thruxton 900\ 08 Spyder RS "Big Bird" \ 12 Street TripleR
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250
    SpeedShots Photography
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

  26. #20
    Senior Member SXSMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but could you name another modern reverse trike that doesn't have an electronic VSS system?
    Buy yourself a fish sandwich if you can. Those Chinese knock-offs don't count.

    Yes you do need electronic wizardry to mass market a reverse trike configuration.
    Without the Bosch VSS there would be more of these puppies flipped into the boonies than you could count.

    Ever wonder why no one (okay, I know there were a few tried) ever did it before successfully?
    The reverse trike is inherently unstable in turns.
    Should start at the start and that the Penstart is a "leaning" reverse trike. It was likely a bad comparison in the first place to put Penstar and Can Am in the same sentence

    I'm not sure of the fish sandwich reference.

    In terms of vertical stability systems I agree that a lot more people would have flipped Spyders because they DONT lean. So all the forces are forced Vertically and the CoG just moves further and further towards the tipping point the faster and harder you corner.

    Now in terms of systems comparative to the Penstar I haven't seen a reverse trike WITH VSS because they dont need it because they mechanically move the CoG into the corner as you turn and the tipping point is never reached.

    So companies like Tiltingworks, Tremoto and anybody else I have ever seen with a leaning system I havent seen a VSS on.

    The GG Taurus the only other static reverse trike I can think of at the moment doesn't mention any VSS in its technical or assembly specs but that's as much as I know about is but it didn't come from the BMW engine management system so I'm going to make a guess at not.

    I cant think of one outside the Spyder that does, it uses the Bosch car system, which is why I asked the question of who and what components?? So do you have a sample of a trike or quad even that uses a VSS on a road bike? I'd just like to look over the details thats all. Its not a personal challenge.

  27. #21
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was waiting for you to join the party...
    Nobody else a system like this in play; probably because it cost BRP a ton of cash to get it, and then even more to implement it...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  28. #22
    village idiot Rattigan_Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rattigan, PA
    Posts
    5,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    Should start at the start and that the Penstart is a "leaning" reverse trike. It was likely a bad comparison in the first place to put Penstar and Can Am in the same sentence

    I'm not sure of the fish sandwich reference.

    In terms of vertical stability systems I agree that a lot more people would have flipped Spyders because they DONT lean. So all the forces are forced Vertically and the CoG just moves further and further towards the tipping point the faster and harder you corner.

    Now in terms of systems comparative to the Penstar I haven't seen a reverse trike WITH VSS because they dont need it because they mechanically move the CoG into the corner as you turn and the tipping point is never reached.

    So companies like Tiltingworks, Tremoto and anybody else I have ever seen with a leaning system I havent seen a VSS on.

    The GG Taurus the only other static reverse trike I can think of at the moment doesn't mention any VSS in its technical or assembly specs but that's as much as I know about is but it didn't come from the BMW engine management system so I'm going to make a guess at not.

    I cant think of one outside the Spyder that does, it uses the Bosch car system, which is why I asked the question of who and what components?? So do you have a sample of a trike or quad even that uses a VSS on a road bike? I'd just like to look over the details thats all. Its not a personal challenge.

    The Penstar, Tiltingworks, GG Taurus or Tremoto are very low volume products aimed at enthusiasts and not the mass market.
    I can't comment on their systems but I doubt if a major manufacturer would bring out a trike without some form of vehicle stability system due to the instability of the reverse trike configuration.

    A VSS (not necessarily the Bosch) is, IMHO, necessary on a vehicle like the Spyder if it is going to be mass marketed.

  29. #23
    Senior Member SXSMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The Penstar, Tiltingworks, GG Taurus or Tremoto are very low volume products aimed at enthusiasts and not the mass market.
    I can't comment on their systems but I doubt if a major manufacturer would bring out a trike without some form of vehicle stability system due to the instability of the reverse trike configuration.

    A VSS (not necessarily the Bosch) is, IMHO, necessary on a vehicle like the Spyder if it is going to be mass marketed.
    The Harley Penstar collaboration isn't mass market??

    At any rate I agree with your statement whole heartedly that a static reverse or even static quad motorcycles are too unstable in turns for my liking as well. I do agree that Can Am wouldn't have released the Spyder without VSS and they shouldn't have either, better when breaking a market to do it more conservatively than you have to.

    I still have no idea about the fish sandwich and neither did another American I asked.

  30. #24
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    49,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No Trike should, IMHO, be considered as a vehicle that has been designed for the mass market... Motorcycles on the whole are more of a niche market vehicle anyway...
    (Again; just my humble, uninformed and otherwise unintelligent opinion)

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  31. #25
    Senior Member SXSMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No Trike should, IMHO, be considered as a vehicle that has been designed for the mass market... Motorcycles on the whole are more of a niche market vehicle anyway...
    (Again; just my humble, uninformed and otherwise unintelligent opinion)
    Oh I believe there are very big changes coming for the mass market apart from just fuels (Britain has a changover to 100% alternate fuels by 2050 in law, they dont have the oil left to do anything but). There will be wholesale changes in the next generation of the vehicles they drive so in 15 years time they'll be buying a very different type of vehicle as a secondary family vehicle at the least and some people will have a very different primary vehicle and the technology will be there to support it, in fact you dont have to look far to find that technology today. I'll leave that comment hanging but I love seeing video's like this that provoke my thinking.

    Bear in mind this video is now 3 years old so we have moved on in leaps and bounds since then.


  32. Thanks Ga Blue Knight, IWN2RYD thanked for this post
    Likes Ga Blue Knight, IWN2RYD liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •