Thread: Handguards

Spyder Garage

Default Handguards

It is getting pretty baltic over here now, to whit, I bought a set of handguards off the bay, however, when fitted they clunk into the mirrors, when steering.

Does anyone know of any handguards that will fit without me having to get some of those ridiculously expensive mirror extenders?

I am not too keen on going back to the (albeit very cosy) muffs.

Oh and by the way, I already have heated grips fitted, but we are at or below zero, these mornings.

Cheers all

Buster

Spyder Garage

Default funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    It is getting pretty baltic over here now, to whit, I bought a set of handguards off the bay, however, when fitted they clunk into the mirrors, when steering.

Does anyone know of any handguards that will fit without me having to get some of those ridiculously expensive mirror extenders?

I am not too keen on going back to the (albeit very cosy) muffs.

Oh and by the way, I already have heated grips fitted, but we are at or below zero, these mornings.

Cheers all

Buster

I literally just posted the same thread.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

84 here today

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billpowell View Post
    84 here today
    Now, now, play nicely....

33 just now.... and I'm off to the shops shortly, need tae wrapup warm.
    Last edited by Black Pig; 10-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    It is getting pretty baltic over here now, to whit, I bought a set of handguards off the bay, however, when fitted they clunk into the mirrors, when steering...

...I am not too keen on going back to the (albeit very cosy) muffs.

Your post got me thinking about my own comfort this winter so I did a search of UK hand guards. They seem to be manufactured for specific after-market sets of bars, or as hand protection for particular makes of dirt bikes. Spyder bars, being exceedingly rare, don't figure. No surprise.

You don't say why you don't want to "go back to" muffs.

I'm interested in hearing why not 'cos from what I've seen in the pix and read in the blurbs they're soft and take up very little forward space, so one thing I don't think they will do is "clunk" into the RT's mirrors. The only drawback to a pair of muffs I can see is in accessing the command center under my left thumb. (Even after almost 2 years I still have to glance down to see what I'm doing). Getting the switch selection right might be touch and go (no pun intended) until I develop a feel for where the controls are inside the muff. I'm a slow learner but muffs are relatively cheap, so if it didn't work out I'd just put them away in a corner of my garage where I've discarded many of the other bright ideas I've had over the years.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you have an SE model then you may be able to modify or shorten the mounts. A manual is different as you would have the clutch lever so you'd need to keep the clearance. I've been contemplating this very same thing. Not sure if I'd want mitts or guards. I have guards on my 660r raptor with tracks and ski's on it for winter and they work really well.

Spyder Garage

Google Markos Gauntlets. Work great.

Spyder Garage

Default cold

Sorry Black Pig, Cold Guard Gauntlets, Custom made, lots of room, nice product.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 800steve View Post
    Sorry Black Pig, Cold Guard Gauntlets, Custom made, lots of room, nice product.
    I see Cold Guard Gauntlets are designed for Snowmobiles - I wonder how may other items designed for Snowmobiles and Ski-doo's
    would be suitable for the Spyder rider and they may even be cheaper in some cases although BRP's accessories are likely to be costly against others

Perhaps some Spyder riders could pass details of items they purchased for using on the Spyder that they have found elsewhere
    and are just as good if not better than thoses designed for Motorcyclist

arntufun

These handlebar muffs work awesome for me. I highly recommend them to anyone and your hands are always nice and toasty. They are meant for a snowmobile or ATV but ,work perfectly for the Spyder.

These cost 18.95 at my local Arctic Cat dealer, but you can get them on ebay or anywhere where they sell snowmobiles or ATV's.

handlebar muffs 005.jpghandlebar muffs 006.jpghandlebar muffs 003.jpghandlebar muffs 004.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LESS IS BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    I see Cold Guard Gauntlets are designed for Snowmobiles - I wonder how may other items designed for Snowmobiles and Ski-doo's
    would be suitable for the Spyder rider and they may even be cheaper in some cases although BRP's accessories are likely to be costly against others

Perhaps some Spyder riders could pass details of items they purchased for using on the Spyder that they have found elsewhere
    and are just as good if not better than thoses designed for Motorcyclist
    Eddie, a couple years back I needed #3 inch " Risers " because I already had the BRP 1 in.. I found a pair of sno-mobile risers for $65.....worked out great.........Now you can others for $30...............just saying,Mike

Spyder Garage

I have the oxford heated grips installed on my spyder, and also have a set of Skidoo handlebar muffs that I put over the grips when it gets real cold. This helps to retain the heat and keep my hands toasty warm when the temps drop in the 30's or lower. These Oxford heated grips from the link below also look like they would work really well.

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ACGPHG/HWOX82.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    These handlebar muffs work awesome for me. I highly recommend them to anyone and your hands are always nice and toasty. They are meant for a snowmobile or ATV but ,work perfectly for the Spyder.

These cost 18.95 at my local Arctic Cat dealer, but you can get them on ebay or anywhere where they sell snowmobiles or ATV's.

handlebar muffs 005.jpghandlebar muffs 006.jpghandlebar muffs 003.jpghandlebar muffs 004.jpg
    Moose mitts are awesome! I use them on my mountain bike in the winter.
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Your post got me thinking about my own comfort this winter so I did a search of UK hand guards. They seem to be manufactured for specific after-market sets of bars, or as hand protection for particular makes of dirt bikes. Spyder bars, being exceedingly rare, don't figure. No surprise.

You don't say why you don't want to "go back to" muffs.

I'm interested in hearing why not 'cos from what I've seen in the pix and read in the blurbs they're soft and take up very little forward space, so one thing I don't think they will do is "clunk" into the RT's mirrors. The only drawback to a pair of muffs I can see is in accessing the command center under my left thumb. (Even after almost 2 years I still have to glance down to see what I'm doing). Getting the switch selection right might be touch and go (no pun intended) until I develop a feel for where the controls are inside the muff. I'm a slow learner but muffs are relatively cheap, so if it didn't work out I'd just put them away in a corner of my garage where I've discarded many of the other bright ideas I've had over the years.
    The only reason I was reluctant to 'muff-up' was because last time they kept filling up with rain water when I parked up at work, not a biggie, just a wee bit annoying.

Mind you, they are tech 7 ones that have holes for mirror stalks. I might look into those 'Moose' ones, they look to have a more snug fit on the bars.

Thanks for the pics arntufun.

Some good tips here guys..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There's some nice ryding up there...lucky bugger.

My Dearly Departed Beloved was frae Gallashiels and I wish I'd had my RS over there when I was visiting.
    I'm frae the other side of the border....Middlesbrough....but now residing in North Carolina.

Ryde safe,
    Ray

Spyder Garage

Had a wee ride to Gala earlier this year, lovely down in the borders.

Not sure about Middlesbrough though.....