Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

This topic has been batted around before on several threads. I have ridden all three and owned a gold Wing with a Motor Trike kit before I got my first Spyder.

Two wheels in the rear is hard to handle in turns unless the front end is 'raked' or kicked out a bit to take some pressure off the bars in turns. The rear wheels are pushing you straight while the front tries to make the turn and it takes a lot of pressure to make the turn. Two wheels (pushing) against one is tough to handle all through a turn as the front end wants to 'plow'.

Two wheels in front would be almost impossible to turn without a power assist but once it gets started the single rear wheel tends to power you through the turn better. One wheel pushing against two is harder to handle initially but smooths out once the turn is entered so the Spyder doesn't 'plow' like the Tri Glide or triked Gold Wing.

That said, the Tri Glide and triked Gold Wing have a much tighter turning radius and do handle better from that aspect. It helps if you have 20" biceps though. As far as a smoother ride... I'd say it is a draw with much depending on the type of seat, setting of the shocks and air pressure in the tires.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 10-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have test driven all 3 before I bought my Spyder. The Tri Glide steering was very hard to me. I didn't like it. The GW was better then the HD and I really liked the looks of the GW. But I went with what had the best safety features, so the Spyder won out for me.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Where's George????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everbody is gonna back their own dog in this battle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everbody is gonna back their own dog in this battle...
    That is why it's so hard to ever get down to reality.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 8,000 miles on BR1 and 63,000 on Punkin'. As said earlier, power assist on BR1 is mandatory...without it, you can't do much with it....I know, my steering assist went out....my Motor Trike has a 4.5 degree triple tree....without it, steering is much harder.

Handling...I like both...yes, they are different rides and I have hard time choosing which to ride when I go to my barn in the mornings....ha ha It boils down to personal opinion. Red cars vs Black Cars if you will.

My plan was to sell the Wing after I bought BR1, but love both and will keep both now that the wife got promoted to supervisor on the second shift at the sawmill.

I ride both in the twisties west of Bandera, TX and both do quite well. I enter the curves differently on each scoot...hey the are a different set up and after a couple of thousand miles, ya learn to ride them differently.

As a side note, the electronics and controls on Punkin' are MUCH better than BR1...smoother, easier to use, better in all areas. Reliability on the GW is far superior...no shop visits in 10 years for the Wing....two hard down times in the shop for BR1. Yes, I know, some have had no problems with their Spyders and some have had problems with their Wings. I speak of MY scoots only and my personal opinion....I will not argue the merits of either machine...because I am always right....

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I will not argue the merits of either machine...because I am always right....

.....For some reason that part was funny to me.