Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT vs Goldwing Trike or Harley Tri Glide

Met a couple of trike riders, one rides a Goldwing and the other rides a Tri Glide, both tell me they have taken test rides on the Spyder and that the conventional trikes ride smoother and handle better. I have no reason to doubt what they tell me since I have never ridden a conventional trike. Just wonder if anyone on the forum has tried both types of trikes and can share there feedback. I was surprised to see no comparisons on youtube.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a buddy of mine, long time Harley rider, went to a Harley trike after getting hit on his 50's Harley and almost losing his leg.. He went riding with a guy on a Spyder up on the Trace in Land Between the Lakes in Western KY.. he said the guy in the Spyder was making the turns looks so easy, while he was fighting his HD trike to keep up.. He said it was not a pleasant ride.. He sold it, and said if he did it again he would buy a Spyder.. I offered him a good price on my 2012 RS,,since I want a ST-S... said he was totally out of motorcycles..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Met a couple of trike riders, one rides a Goldwing and the other rides a Tri Glide, both tell me they have taken test rides on the Spyder and that the conventional trikes ride smoother and handle better. I have no reason to doubt what they tell me since I have never ridden a conventional trike. Just wonder if anyone on the forum has tried both types of trikes and can share there feedback. I was surprised to see no comparisons on youtube.
    It is a physical impossibility for a conventional trike to handle better than a reverse trike like the Spyder. The dynamics in a turn coupled with the stance of each machine gives a great advantage to the 2 wheels forward design.

What they probably did not like about the Spyder is the instant reaction to input that they do not get on their conventional trikes. This makes the Spyder seem 'Twitchy' to the uninitiatied. And getting used to a different machine will always give the impression that things are not what they should be.

Of course rider skill and how the various versions of each trike are set up will make some difference.

As far as smoothness, that may be a more debateable aspect. Still, I'd say the Spyder will hold it's own in that area with these 2 contenders.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I don't know about the Gold wing, But i do know about the Tri Glide, And as much i hate to admit this, My
    Spyder rode much smoother than my Tri Glide, As far as handling ,The Spyder and the Tri will do the same speeds on the same curves, Each needs Just a little different technique to do it. My Spyder had power steering, My Tri no power steering, On the highway the Tri runs like it's glued to the road, Straight and true, My Spyder gave the tail wagging the dog feel, Nothing wrong with that just different.
    The Spyder and the TRI Are two different machines for two different missions.
    The Spyder sedate, The Tri rough and tumble.
    Last edited by boborgera; 10-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm fairly new to motorcycles but have a Spyder and my dad has a Goldwing Trike. I've driven both and definately like the way the Spyder handles and rides over the Goldwing. Took my mom for a ride on the Spyder and she said it was a much smoother and enjoyable ride than with my dad's trike.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT vs GW Trike

My wife owns a 2010 Rt and I have a 2008 GW with a CSC Trike Kit. She rides both and when she 1st started riding the RT she liked the GW better but since she bought it in 01/12 she now would much rather ride her RT. When we stop for gas everyone wants to know which is better. I tell them my GW is like driving a Caddy and her RT is like driving a Porsch.
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This topic has been batted around before on several threads. I have ridden all three and owned a gold Wing with a Motor Trike kit before I got my first Spyder.

Two wheels in the rear is hard to handle in turns unless the front end is 'raked' or kicked out a bit to take some pressure off the bars in turns. The rear wheels are pushing you straight while the front tries to make the turn and it takes a lot of pressure to make the turn. Two wheels (pushing) against one is tough to handle all through a turn as the front end wants to 'plow'.

Two wheels in front would be almost impossible to turn without a power assist but once it gets started the single rear wheel tends to power you through the turn better. One wheel pushing against two is harder to handle initially but smooths out once the turn is entered so the Spyder doesn't 'plow' like the Tri Glide or triked Gold Wing.

That said, the Tri Glide and triked Gold Wing have a much tighter turning radius and do handle better from that aspect. It helps if you have 20" biceps though. As far as a smoother ride... I'd say it is a draw with much depending on the type of seat, setting of the shocks and air pressure in the tires.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 10-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have test driven all 3 before I bought my Spyder. The Tri Glide steering was very hard to me. I didn't like it. The GW was better then the HD and I really liked the looks of the GW. But I went with what had the best safety features, so the Spyder won out for me.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Where's George????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everbody is gonna back their own dog in this battle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everbody is gonna back their own dog in this battle...
    That is why it's so hard to ever get down to reality.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 8,000 miles on BR1 and 63,000 on Punkin'. As said earlier, power assist on BR1 is mandatory...without it, you can't do much with it....I know, my steering assist went out....my Motor Trike has a 4.5 degree triple tree....without it, steering is much harder.

Handling...I like both...yes, they are different rides and I have hard time choosing which to ride when I go to my barn in the mornings....ha ha It boils down to personal opinion. Red cars vs Black Cars if you will.

My plan was to sell the Wing after I bought BR1, but love both and will keep both now that the wife got promoted to supervisor on the second shift at the sawmill.

I ride both in the twisties west of Bandera, TX and both do quite well. I enter the curves differently on each scoot...hey the are a different set up and after a couple of thousand miles, ya learn to ride them differently.

As a side note, the electronics and controls on Punkin' are MUCH better than BR1...smoother, easier to use, better in all areas. Reliability on the GW is far superior...no shop visits in 10 years for the Wing....two hard down times in the shop for BR1. Yes, I know, some have had no problems with their Spyders and some have had problems with their Wings. I speak of MY scoots only and my personal opinion....I will not argue the merits of either machine...because I am always right....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I will not argue the merits of either machine...because I am always right....

.....For some reason that part was funny to me.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

He knows of what he speaks.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George isn't older than dirt... but it was too young to remember when he was born!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A little over 3 years ago, after many years on 2 wheels, I decided to try 3 wheels. The first 3 wheeler I rode was a 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS. I only took a short test ride but it immediately felt comfortable and stable although it was a bit twitchy. I fully intended to buy a Spyder and was saving my money while I researched what was available to make the GS a little more touring friendly.

In the meantime, a friend decided to sell his BMW K1200LT with a Hannigan trike kit and asked me to ride it. It is a beautiful, well maintained machine with low miles, the easy steer fork rake, and the Hannigan kit is one of the best. I could not get comfortable on it. It didn't feel twitchy, it just didn't feel stable. Having the rear wheels stuck out to the side was also hard for me to get used to and I ran the right rear off the road a couple of times. No problem like that for the Spyder since I could see where the front wheels were.

Long story short, I stuck to my decision to buy a Spyder because it felt more comfortable TO ME. No doubt, someone else might come to another conclusion. I haven't regretted it. Wound up buying a 2010 RT in April of 2010. So far, I haven't had any trouble staying up with the 2 wheelers I commonly ride with although, admittedly, none of them are knee draggers. When you get right down to it, the best advice I could give you is to ride both and decide what feels best to you. If possible, take test rides that are long enough to give you a good feel of each style of trike and time to get at least somewhat used to each before you decide.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

There have been other threads on this subject.

Rider magazine did a comparison test of the Tri-Glide and the Goldwing. At the time (about 2 years ago), Spyder was asked to participate in a three way test--but refused to supply a vehicle.

The GW was the winner in that test. BR1, seems to have the best on site knowledge re the GW vs. the Spyder.

It would be nice if Rider would try again, now that the suspension on the RT has been changed. Time will tell.

When I bought my RT, I did go check out the Tri Glide--the ergo's were not comfortable for me so other than starting it up, I did not go for a test ride--I did not like it, so knew I would not be happy--no matter what. Never had the opportunity to drive a GW trike--but have been on the two wheeled version. I liked that a lot.

Bottom line for me--the two wheels in the front provide more stability, the Spyder is close to the GW in amenities, the bigger powerplant would win out for me. I will continue to be a Spyder proponent. Were GW to come out with a two in the front configuration--I would be looking at them real quick. But it would still depend on how I felt after the test drive.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    George isn't older than dirt... but it was too young to remember when he was born!
    Bob, I may be a little older than some of our group, but do remember some things when I was young. I bought my first pickup truck in 1946 at age 14. (Oh, I know, I did get my drivers license the following year) I used to buy gas @ 5 gallons for .95 and have a nickel left over for a 12 oz Pepsi Cola. My folks would not let me get a scooter (washing machine engine and steel plate rubbing the rear wheel to brake) as they said it was too dangerous....they were right. (I finally did however) No helmets in the hills of southern Illinois, so I wore a football helmet. Lots of laughs until a friend's head came into contact with a street curb....I had the pleasure to ride in Japan, and around Europe, courtesy of the USAF. I rode several times with a German BMW club....once was enough, but I was a slow learner. Here is how the rides went....We would group, ride through the small towns and hills at crazy speeds and....sooner or later we would get to the Autobahn...no speed limit other than how fast your scoot would go!

I have never been the same after two rides on the Autobahn with those guys.....cruising at 120-130-140 turned my blood to wee wee....

The best thing about this discussion is we all ride, love our scoots and have not resorted to bad name calling. (yet)

Last edited by Mr. White; 08-09-2013 at 07:05 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post

The best thing about this discussion is we all ride, love our scoots and have not resorted to bad name calling. (yet)

And I'm sure we'd ALL love to hear more about the rides in Europe...

Spyder Garage

Default HAVE RIDDEN BOTH

Last year HD offered a Street Glide Trike, along with the Tri Glide. I rode it and found you had to be VERY physical with it. Pushing and pulling in cornering and turns. On straight roads, if there were any ruts, I was constantly fighting with it, it kept pulling in the direction of the rut. But, because I have always rode HD's, thats the direction I wanted to go. However, I thought to myself that I would be physically exhausted after riding it long distances. My husband talked me into trying the Spyder, since we had seen it on TV so I did. End of story. With the power steering and semi auto transmission, no comparison in ease of cornering, FOR ME. Thus, I am riding to to work every day on my RT to the HD dealership.

Spyder Garage

I ride a wing with only 2 wheels, but my wife rides the and the reason I bot it back in 2010 was the safety of the design. I can replace whatever she rides, but I can't replace her, so safety was my reasoning. Weekends I ride with a bunch of 3 wheels, HD, seveal wing trikes, Spyders, and these guys all came from 2 wheels and have tested both with some votes for the Spyder and some votes for the trikes. I have ridden Gail's Spyder and I feel super safe on it compared to my wing, but I can't go to 3 wheels just yet. By the way, she enjoys the Spyder so much, I have a 2013 bronze RT on order for her.

As someone mentioned, each will vote for their own, but the Spyder seemed much safer than a trike to me.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

What about the difference for the passenger. We have a Spyder RS SE5 that we bought new in 2008. It is nice and my wife does not want to trade it for a RT. I rode a GL1800 CSC trike with 6 degree triple tree last week and I liked it alot. Handled better than I thought it would in the curves. My wife was not with me so I don't know how the back of the trike compares to the back of the Spyder? To me the Spyder is good if you are driving but as a passenger you get whipped behind the front wheels and it is not as enjoyable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slather1 View Post
    What about the difference for the passenger. We have a Spyder RS SE5 that we bought new in 2008. It is nice and my wife does not want to trade it for a RT. I rode a GL1800 CSC trike with 6 degree triple tree last week and I liked it alot. Handled better than I thought it would in the curves. My wife was not with me so I don't know how the back of the trike compares to the back of the Spyder? To me the Spyder is good if you are driving but as a passenger you get whipped behind the front wheels and it is not as enjoyable.
    In August my daughter (passenger), and I made a 1600 mile trip. Most of the time she would be texting her Mom, Sister, or friends while I drove. While I have no first hand experience in this, but I have read on here about passengers falling asleep on the Spyder before.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

In a straight line, yes. I like to ride aggressively in curves and if you are my passenger riding the Dragon you will not be sleeping!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT vs My GoldWing Trike

I have had a spyder for 2 years. The first was an RS, but I needed to sit upright so I traded for an RT. In just a little over a year, I put 22,000 miles on my RT including a 14hr ride up to Louisville from Jacksonville, FL hauling a trailer with my electric scooter on it. For me, the Spyder doesn't have enough low end torque and I had to run premium gas to boot. The GW on the otherhand gets better gas mileage, runs on regular, runs smoother, and has a tighter turning radius. Would I use it to go on a bike ride though the hills with all the switchbacks and curves aound our house there. Deffinitly not!!!!. Give me the RT anyday for that type of riding. I'm sorry to say, but I'll take my GW for the type of riding that I do here in Jacksonville over the RT. If I go back home, I'll borrow one of my brothers bikes to go riding in the hills
    RJ White
    Jacksonville, Florida
    wizwht@gmail.com