Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT vs Goldwing Trike or Harley Tri Glide

Met a couple of trike riders, one rides a Goldwing and the other rides a Tri Glide, both tell me they have taken test rides on the Spyder and that the conventional trikes ride smoother and handle better. I have no reason to doubt what they tell me since I have never ridden a conventional trike. Just wonder if anyone on the forum has tried both types of trikes and can share there feedback. I was surprised to see no comparisons on youtube.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a buddy of mine, long time Harley rider, went to a Harley trike after getting hit on his 50's Harley and almost losing his leg.. He went riding with a guy on a Spyder up on the Trace in Land Between the Lakes in Western KY.. he said the guy in the Spyder was making the turns looks so easy, while he was fighting his HD trike to keep up.. He said it was not a pleasant ride.. He sold it, and said if he did it again he would buy a Spyder.. I offered him a good price on my 2012 RS,,since I want a ST-S... said he was totally out of motorcycles..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Met a couple of trike riders, one rides a Goldwing and the other rides a Tri Glide, both tell me they have taken test rides on the Spyder and that the conventional trikes ride smoother and handle better. I have no reason to doubt what they tell me since I have never ridden a conventional trike. Just wonder if anyone on the forum has tried both types of trikes and can share there feedback. I was surprised to see no comparisons on youtube.
    It is a physical impossibility for a conventional trike to handle better than a reverse trike like the Spyder. The dynamics in a turn coupled with the stance of each machine gives a great advantage to the 2 wheels forward design.

What they probably did not like about the Spyder is the instant reaction to input that they do not get on their conventional trikes. This makes the Spyder seem 'Twitchy' to the uninitiatied. And getting used to a different machine will always give the impression that things are not what they should be.

Of course rider skill and how the various versions of each trike are set up will make some difference.

As far as smoothness, that may be a more debateable aspect. Still, I'd say the Spyder will hold it's own in that area with these 2 contenders.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a physical impossibility for a conventional trike to handle better than a reverse trike like the Spyder. The dynamics in a turn coupled with the stance of each machine gives a great advantage to the 2 wheels forward design.

What they probably did not like about the Spyder is the instant reaction to input that they do not get on their conventional trikes. This makes the Spyder seem 'Twitchy' to the uninitiatied. And getting used to a different machine will always give the impression that things are not what they should be.

Of course rider skill and how the various versions of each trike are set up will make some difference.

As far as smoothness, that may be a more debateable aspect. Still, I'd say the Spyder will hold it's own in that area with these 2 contenders.
    I agree. Solidly stated.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about the Gold wing, But i do know about the Tri Glide, And as much i hate to admit this, My
    Spyder rode much smoother than my Tri Glide, As far as handling ,The Spyder and the Tri will do the same speeds on the same curves, Each needs Just a little different technique to do it. My Spyder had power steering, My Tri no power steering, On the highway the Tri runs like it's glued to the road, Straight and true, My Spyder gave the tail wagging the dog feel, Nothing wrong with that just different.
    The Spyder and the TRI Are two different machines for two different missions.
    The Spyder sedate, The Tri rough and tumble.
    Last edited by boborgera; 10-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm fairly new to motorcycles but have a Spyder and my dad has a Goldwing Trike. I've driven both and definately like the way the Spyder handles and rides over the Goldwing. Took my mom for a ride on the Spyder and she said it was a much smoother and enjoyable ride than with my dad's trike.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT vs GW Trike

My wife owns a 2010 Rt and I have a 2008 GW with a CSC Trike Kit. She rides both and when she 1st started riding the RT she liked the GW better but since she bought it in 01/12 she now would much rather ride her RT. When we stop for gas everyone wants to know which is better. I tell them my GW is like driving a Caddy and her RT is like driving a Porsch.
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

This topic has been batted around before on several threads. I have ridden all three and owned a gold Wing with a Motor Trike kit before I got my first Spyder.

Two wheels in the rear is hard to handle in turns unless the front end is 'raked' or kicked out a bit to take some pressure off the bars in turns. The rear wheels are pushing you straight while the front tries to make the turn and it takes a lot of pressure to make the turn. Two wheels (pushing) against one is tough to handle all through a turn as the front end wants to 'plow'.

Two wheels in front would be almost impossible to turn without a power assist but once it gets started the single rear wheel tends to power you through the turn better. One wheel pushing against two is harder to handle initially but smooths out once the turn is entered so the Spyder doesn't 'plow' like the Tri Glide or triked Gold Wing.

That said, the Tri Glide and triked Gold Wing have a much tighter turning radius and do handle better from that aspect. It helps if you have 20" biceps though. As far as a smoother ride... I'd say it is a draw with much depending on the type of seat, setting of the shocks and air pressure in the tires.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 10-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have test driven all 3 before I bought my Spyder. The Tri Glide steering was very hard to me. I didn't like it. The GW was better then the HD and I really liked the looks of the GW. But I went with what had the best safety features, so the Spyder won out for me.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing vs H-D Tri Glide vs Spyder RT

I have a 2012 Spyder RT Limited, and both a 2012 H-D Tri Glide, and a GL1500 SE Goldwing with a side car. For general riding comfort I find the Goldwing to be far superior to either the Tri Glide or the Spyder. I can't speak to riding the twisties as I have not had the Spyder or Tri Glide on something like The Dragon. The Goldwing will cruise all day at 35 miles per hour in 5th. gear, try doing that on a Tri Glide or the Spyder. Not that one would necessarily want to ride all day at 35 miles per hour but it sure is nice to be able to ride localy around town without having to constantly shift up and down through the gears. So the Goldwing is #1 in my book, the Spyder #2, and the H-D Tri Glide #3.