Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default License Department Of Public Safty

I took a 2 wheel safety course in Tyler TX. If you had no experience riding they did not take time to show you either, "get it or get lost". "We got your $195 and you can go home". I went to Lufkin TX and took a 3 wheel course and passed it fine went to DMV for my license and they said I would have to take and pass the 2wheel course and that was it, they even called Austin and spoke to someone and they backed them up. The instructor at the 3wheel course sent my paper work to Austin DMV and they sent me a completion form that I had passed the requirements to take the motorcycle test. Took it and passes now I an legal, thank you Jesus. Now how do I get my check from BPR.?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
    I took a 2 wheel safety course in Tyler TX. If you had no experience riding they did not take time to show you either, "get it or get lost". "We got your $195 and you can go home". I went to Lufkin TX and took a 3 wheel course and passed it fine went to DMV for my license and they said I would have to take and pass the 2wheel course and that was it, they even called Austin and spoke to someone and they backed them up. The instructor at the 3wheel course sent my paper work to Austin DMV and they sent me a completion form that I had passed the requirements to take the motorcycle test. Took it and passes now I an legal, thank you Jesus. Now how do I get my check from BPR.?
    In Ohio, persons who hold a license for a 2-wheeled motorcycle may automatically drive a 3-wheel motorcycle without further testing.

If you DO NOT have a motorcycle license of any kind -- AND ONLY WANT TO OPERATE A 3-WHEELED MOTORCYCLE -- there is a test specific to a 3-wheeled motorcycle ONLY.

So a 2-wheel motorcycle endorsement allows you operate 2 or 3-wheel motorcycles.

A 3-wheel motorcycle endorsement allows you to operate a 3-wheel motorcycle only.

Here are some other facts from the OHIO BMV WEBSITE: CLICK HERE

My neighbor has a three-wheel vehicle, and it is titled and registered as a passenger car, while my three-wheel vehicle is considered a motorcycle. What is the difference?

Three-wheel vehicles are titled according to the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). If the MCO indicates that the vehicle is a passenger car, then the BMV would title and register it as such.

Do I need to take the motorcycle test and get an endorsement to drive my enclosed three-wheel vehicle if it is considered a motorcycle?

Yes. Operators of these vehicles will need to pass the three-wheeled motorcycle skills test and have the three-wheel endorsement added to their Ohio operator's license. Customers that already have a motorcycle endorsement will not need additional testing, as they already qualify to drive a three-wheel vehicle.

Will I need to wear a helmet when driving a three-wheel vehicle?

As the bill currently reads, the operator of a three-wheel vehicle will be required to wear a helmet as a novice and abide by the same laws as an operator on a motorcycle.

I purchased a Zap Zebra three-wheel enclosed motorcycle (MC), and the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) states it is an MC. Can I register it?

Ohio House Bill 562 added "seat" to the current definition in the Ohio Revised Code. The Zap has a bench seat. You are now able to register it as an MC if your MCO states MC.

Will I be able to register my Zap Zebra three-wheel enclosed MC with my Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO)?

No, you will need to take your MCO to your local Title Agency and obtain an Ohio Title. Once you have obtained an Ohio Title, you will be able to register your MC at any local deputy registrar office.

My Certificate of Origin does not state whether it is an MC or ATV or PC. How do I know how to register it?

If the MCO has language stating "the vehicle is not intended for, and may not be registered for on-road use," most likely it is an ATV, and cannot be registered for on-road use.

Where in the Ohio Revised Code can I read information about my vehicle?

Currently, you can access this information in chapters 4501 and 4519 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Does my three-wheel vehicle have to comply with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) to obtain a title?

Yes, all vehicles are required to be FMVSS-approved before they can be driven on Ohio roads and highways.

Why couldn't I get my three-wheel vehicle registered before now?

Ohio's definition of a motorcycle (MC) did not include language that allowed a vehicle with a bench seat to be titled and registered as an MC. Only vehicles with a saddle could be registered as an MC. HB 562 added the necessary language to allow the BMV to now consider them MC's. In addition, federal standards allow these vehicles to be titled as motorcycles.

Can I put a car seat in these three-wheel vehicles?

Some three-wheel vehicles have seatbelts installed and meet federal safety standards while others do not. You should consult with your manufacturer to determine whether or not your specific three-wheel vehicle meets these qualifications.

Do I have to have a motor vehicle dealer's license in order to sell these units at retail?

Yes, please contact the Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7636, for more information.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's too bad that you had to jump through so many hoops to get your license. I think all states should allow you to test on 3 wheels and then give you a 3 wheel endorsement.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Alaska is very user friendly when it comes to motorcycle licensing. Since I had a mc endorsement from another state when I came here, I had to take the written test, but no driving test. They just added the endorsement to my drivers license.

For akspyderlady, there were two options.

: Take motorcycle safety course, pass, and automatically get endorsement. They do not offer a three wheel version.

: Take written test, pass and you get a permit to drive--good for two years. Pass driving test and get endorsement. You can take the driving test on the . Driving test consited of driving within a painted area--right turns, left turns. Then quick stopping within a designated boundary--three times. Time about 5 to 10 minutes.

Akspyderlady took option two. Drove on a permit for a year--put 7000 miles on the and passed the test with flying colors.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ohio Motorcycle Operator's Manual

You can view the Ohio Motorcycle Operator's Manual HERE.

Beginning on page 44, an entire section is devoted to 3-Wheeled motorcycles and licensing requirements.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MANUAL.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

That's rough. Glad you hung in there and got it done. I lived in Texas twice and it never got better and sounds like it hasn't yet. Congrats on being legal..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default License

This is what will blow your mind. The form from Austin said I had passed the 2 wheel course and was ready take the regular MC test. That is exactly what they gave me there was not one 3 wheel question on the test. So when my license comes in from Austin it will just have the regular MC stamp on it. I am now legal to drive a 2 wheeler, y'all better watch out.

Spyder Garage

Wisconsin is the same way, there is a 3 wheel endorsement. When I went for the license I took the test drive and then went through the DMV hell but the license clerk was new and gave me a 2 wheel endorsement by accident, no I did not correct him as I did not notice until the next day.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

FYI
    IMHO

once you obtain a MC endorsement...
    NEVER !!! NEVER !!! EVER !!! let it
    expire. it may cost a couple of extra
    bucks when you renew your license...
    but it is well worth it as the years pass.

I was first licensed in 1967, when I was
    14 (and you could legally get a mc license
    before you were able to get an auto
    license...), and I have always kept the
    endorsement current. it saved me from
    having to take a 1600DM European mc
    class when I lived in Germany in the 80s.
    and I have never had a problem transferring
    it from one state to another over the years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
    That is how they are doing now. I know two other people who took only the 3 wheel course. That had to send there form along with a letter explaining why they could not ride a two wheeler. Austin sent them a completion form they to DPS took the written test now they both have a Motorcycle license. If this is what Texas is doing for three wheelers now they need to come up with a new classification.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife & I took the three wheel class back in early July, passed, and then all we had to do was take the written test to get our motorcycle licence. Over the years, we have found that different branches seem to think they can make up their own rules. Not sure what the problem is but they all need to get on the same page.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    FYI
    IMHO once you obtain a MC endorsement...NEVER !!! NEVER !!! EVER !!! let it expire. it may cost a couple of extra bucks when you renew your license...but it is well worth it as the years pass.
    I have run into many people in Ohio who want to get back into motorcycles. Many of them stopped when they first got married; some later when they started having children; and others just got into a situation where owning a motorcycle just wasn't feasible.

In Ohio, to add a motorcycle endorsement to your drivers license cost very little. After that, the endorsement is a permanent part of your license and it doesn't cost you anything to maintain the endorsement even if you are not currently operating a motorcycle.

Unfortunately, when you renewed your drivers license (in years past), it was important for the clerk to add the endorsement to your license when you were renewing each and every time. If you failed to notice they forgot to type in the M on your license, you were out of luck. Years later, if you wanted to ride again - you had to start over.

Thankfully, with computerized computer records, etc. that is a problem of the past. But people around Spyder age (sorry if I am stereotyping the average Spyder rider) are the ones most affected by those clerical errors that occurred years ago.

AS ADVISED - KEEP YOUR ENDORSEMENT UP! IN OHIO, IT IS FREE ON RENEWALS!