GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What size trailer for RT and Road King?

Looking to get an enclosed trailer to haul our toys. Anybody tried pulling an RT and Harley Road King? What size do you have and how do you load them? Harley First? Back spyder in or what? Pictures would be nice. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peggy, considering the Spyder is just over 8' (105") and the Road KIng is right at 8' (97") it would take a pretty good sized trailer. I would load the Spyder first. Driving it on would be better than backing it on. Either way, you would have to lower the back end of the trailer for clearence. If you loaded side by side the trailer would have to be at least 10' wide. Lots to think about.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Peggy, considering the Spyder is just over 8' (105") and the Road KIng is right at 8' (97") it would take a pretty good sized trailer. I would load the Spyder first. Driving it on would be better than backing it on. Either way, you would have to lower the back end of the trailer for clearence. If you loaded side by side the trailer would have to be at least 10' wide. Lots to think about.
    Thanks for the input! Seems like I read on this forum someone doing this. Maybe they'll see it and reply. Tell Kris hey!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 7x12 Cargomate model Blazer dual axle enclosed trailer.The RT fits in this perfectly and the width allows me to take 2 bicycles as well.I drive in forward up the ramp and reverse out no problem at all.I also hang all riding gear on hooks on the walls.has a side door as well.
    To take a Harley as well you would need the same model but 7x18.You can look at these on www.cargomatetrailer.com

Ofcourse there are many makes of trailers on the market some cheaper some more expensive.

Ivor
    Last edited by Ivorspyder; 10-11-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You will need something either long enough to put one behind the other or wide enough to sneak a bike tire beside the bags on the Spyder. That probably translates to an 18' trailer or possibly a 16' V-nose with a width of at least six feet at the door, on one hand, and an 8'x16 or 8'x14' V-nose on the other. An even wider toybox might allow loading almost side-by-side in a staggered fashion. The best thing to do if you find a candidate is to carefully measure the inside and door dimensions, then lay those out on the garage floor in tape, to see if things fit. Remember, you can't cross the lines with any part of the machines, even when loading. A good dealer may also allow you to test load a trailer in their lot. Good luck in your search.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an RT and a HD Fatboy. Just purchased a 6 ft. 10 in by 12 ft utility trailer with a 5 ft. high gate.
    Fatboy goes on first, front right side. RT is then backed on. It is a tight fit but very doable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder goes in first then his HD is staggered where the first wheel is beside the back wheel of the spyder. But, learn from our mistake! He has two eye bolts in the front that he ties the front tires of the spyder two. He then tied the back tire down. He thought he had it plenty tight, but he didn't count on the tire "bouncing". During the haul, the back tired bounced where the side storage bag was rubbing against the couch (it was in a toyhauler). I have rub marks that won't buff out. Also the front tires will bounce as well.

So please keep that in mind when strapping everything down. Allow for the "bounce" factor. Of course, it could be his driving!

Spyder Garage

Default trailer for 2 toys

My tandem axel trailer is not enclosed but I can easily haul my 2011 RTS and Yamaha Rhino on it. The dimensions are 72" by 192", or 6 feet by 16 feet. It does not have a V nose just a storage box on the front. The ATV goes on first as it is heavier. The spyder then nests up to the rear of the ATV. I have to remove the trailer hitch on the back of the ATV to make sure if there is movement that it would not scratch the spyder nose. Both units are tied down in an X fashion with straps through the wheels. I have been doing this for 3 years now, forth and back to our winter home in California from Minnesota. I did it first with my 2008 GS and now with the RT. I looked at enclosed trailers and I tried to fit both my toys inside. They both fit but tying them down required more agility than this body could handle. Of course the rear ramp works for the ATV but I needed to use extensions on the ramp to handle the spyder.

Spyder Garage

At the owner's event this past Summer, there was a couple that had a Harley, Spyder and a Smart car in an enclosed trailer at the campground. It was being pulled with a motorhome.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    .....They both fit but tying them down required more agility than this body could handle. Of course the rear ramp works for the ATV but I needed to use extensions on the ramp to handle the spyder.
    Good point! I am getting kind of tired of being a contortionist to tie down he Spyders when we load double or triple, too. Things can get might tight if your trailer is enclosed, and is the minimum size needed.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

I've carried both Spyders in my 6.5'x20' Wells Gargo CycleWagon enclosed trailer. This allows plenty of room to move around for tiedowns. It also has the 'beavertail' rear floor area that slopes down to the ramp. This reduces the likelihood of high centering your Spyder when loading. The trailer is designed to load four full dressers (tour bikes like Goldwings and Ultra Classics). It has two axles with 15" wheels & is rated for 7000 lbs gross, 2800 lbs empty.

Spyder Garage

We have a wing and a Spyder and when I ordered the trailer, I had the dealer set it up for 4 bikes and I have hauled ours, plus a Road King and a Boulveard. If you send me your regular email, I'll scan my trailer specs to you. My trailer dealer is in Jacksonville, FL and I know they would love to work with you.

We did every loading option imaginable and the best we came up with was my wing front and left and the other big bike chock front and right with the Spyder behind, and 4th bike chock left and rear, I used removable chocks and had the walls set on the outside of the wheel wells, thius giving you 6 inches more room on each side for handle bars. It is 8.5 x 20. 18 feet would have worked, but the dealer told me mfgs build in 4 foot sections and to go to 20 instead of 18 would only cost $100 bucks more.

Shoot me your normal email.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You will need something either long enough to put one behind the other or wide enough to sneak a bike tire beside the bags on the Spyder. That probably translates to an 18' trailer or possibly a 16' V-nose with a width of at least six feet at the door, on one hand, and an 8'x16 or 8'x14' V-nose on the other. An even wider toybox might allow loading almost side-by-side in a staggered fashion. The best thing to do if you find a candidate is to carefully measure the inside and door dimensions, then lay those out on the garage floor in tape, to see if things fit. Remember, you can't cross the lines with any part of the machines, even when loading. A good dealer may also allow you to test load a trailer in their lot. Good luck in your search.

Good idea about layout tape. You can't load a 6' wide Spyder in a trailer with a 6' door opening. I know

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Good idea about layout tape. You can't load a 6' wide Spyder in a trailer with a 6' door opening. I know
    The Spyder isn't six feet wide...but neither is the opening in a six foot trailer. Trailers are usually advertised in nominal measurements...often backing plate to backing plate at the axle. The opening in a six foot trailer is often only five feet wide or so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

True, it isn't 6', just seems like it. Just a hair over 5 feet wide and 8.75' long.

arntufun

OP........This thread should help you. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...auling+spyders