Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My experience with CalSci Windshield

I know there were many reports on the CalSci effectiveness, but I though potential buyers would benefit from the reading below, as it brings up points that I have not seen raised before.

Bike riders can be a tough audience when it comes down to fit & finish. For the ones that will not compromise on these points, pay special attention to points 4-5-6.

1- Delivery
    I placed the order on a Friday morning, and I received the shipping confirmation email and tracking # in the afternoon. This was as good as it gets. The box was shipped USPS->Canada Post (I am located near Montreal, Canada). I received the box the following Thursday, which is the usual delay for international shipping. As it sometimes happens with USPS, no custom brokerage fees, no custom duties, no federal/provincial taxes.

2- Packaging
    The shield was nicely wrapped in a soft cloth that I reused to store the original windshield, and bubble wrap used to secure it in the box. There was a micro-fleece cleaning cloth, an empty plastic spray bottle and a promotional tire pressure gauge, as others have reported.

3- Windshield size
    I ordered the XL, since I am 6'4" and ride on a BRP RT comfort seat that makes you sit a bit higher than on the stock seat. I was able to comfortably look over my 2011 RT original shield so I wanted the same size. The 2 shields are the same size, but the CalSci's holes are 1/4" lower, therefore moving it higher by the same amount. The CalSci shield's top edge is also more straight, compared to the more "pointy" stock shield, so it adds to the feeling of having a taller shield. It does not matter much to me, as I have enough downward adjustment left to lower it out of my sight. Shorter riders may experience a different outcome. A 1/4 of an may not seem like much, but it is noticeable. Below are the 2 shields on top of each other.

4- Windshield curvature - Bottom
    The windshield curvature is very different when compared to the stock shield. At the bottom, the curvature is less than the stock shield. So much that when you install it, it first touches the bottom center portion of the windshield support (Part 21), then torquing the bolts actually bend it more into shape so the rubber grommets can also touch the support. The shield comes with a warning to not torque higher than 4ft-lbs, but it seems to be enough to bend the bottom portion. Since the bottom center of the support touches the shield with so much pressure, it is bound to dig into it over time due to vibrations.

5- Windshield curvature - Top

The curvature in the area around the top bolts has the reverse problem: the curvature is more that the stock shield. This causes the shield to rest directly on the outer edge of the windshield support. The 4ft-lbs max torque is far from being enough to "flatten" it so here again, the support is bound to dig into the shield plastic. These marks should remain invisible, as they are hidden by the front screw covers. The other drawback is that since is does not rest flat on the windshield support, you can now see the square holes used to mount the front screw covers.

6- Edge Polishing

The top and side edges are sanded and have a very nice, smooth finish on par with the OEM. It is not the case with the bottom portion of the shield, where you can fell and actually see the rough cut. Same thing with the edges of the center hole, which were also left unpolished. The roughness of the center hole cut is not visible, but it shows on the lower edge without any special lighting.

7- Fogginess
    Some users have reported having received "hazy" shields. It is not my case. I rode both in cloudy and sunny conditions, with both the sun overhead and straight into sunset and have not seen any kind of haze in the shield.

8- Ride Quality
    The ride is definitely more relaxed than with the original shield. Buffeting is definitely reduced at highway speed. The "back pressure" pushing forward on our shoulders when the shield is raised is also practically gone. A tiny bit remains, but nothing like before. I only had 2 rides that were long enough to effectively test the shield, but they were both in very calm wind conditions, so for now I cannot comment on the sudden airflow disruptions caused by the side winds with the stock shield. Below are the Before and after pics: (Note that the slight tint difference is due to the photo exposure, not to the windshields)

The verdict: I tend to favor function over looks, so this shield does what I bought it for: reduce the buffetting that gets tiring over long rides.

I do appreciate quality products, however, and in this department I have mixed feelings about the product. There are cosmetics "shortcomings" that are only visible from up close, but I am also a bit concern about longer term wear and tear.

The original, full-size 12 Mpixel photos can be found here: http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/Forums...2362150_fb2wtC

...Ben...
    Last edited by MtlBen; 10-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very thorough!
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Thanks for the great feedback

Curious if you have talked with the manufacturer about your concerns, especially about the curviture causing it to touch the metal? As you stated, thats bound to have long term consequences If you get a chance, or the desire, I'd love to hear any feedback of how the shield does in rain I know, we're never happy & always wanting more

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: My experience with CalSci Windshield

Mine touch on the same points on the outside, but my stock shield has indentations in the sane spots from touching. The bottom edge on mine hasn't touched or marked by the metal at all, but very close. The hole is laser cut, so you won't get the polish seen on the edges, but the edges on your shield seem nicer than mine. Mine are dull and un-polished, much like my factory shield. The factory one was rounded, where as my CalSci is a square cut. If it were polished, it would have an identical look to the wings just below. I would have preferred that, but the functionality more than makes up for any shortcomings. I really would have liked polished edges though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this post! I'm 6' and have experienced buffetting with the stock windshield. It seems to be best about an inch lower than full height for me. I've been thinking of the CalSci shield but wanted to do their measurement tests first and I just haven't had time.

BTW - hello from a SmugMug Support Hero! Nice to see a Smugger and Spyder driver.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I like my Calsci XL windshield but wish it was a couple of inches taller (like the F4) - I am also 6'4" w/34 inseam

but the Calsci definately cuts down the buffeting and wind noise

after reading your post I went out and looked at my installation and I am seeing the same things you are - didnt really notice it before

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions

Thanks for the detailed review. Once you get it out in the high winds, please give us an update on that. Second question and more important for me... Do you carry a passenger and does he/she feel like they are getting less wind on them? My wife is an experienced pillion rider on our Gold Wing and she feels she gets beat up more by the wind on the RT. The 'Wing has a bigger shield, more like the CalSci shield so it could well be that she's getting more wind back there. I'd love to reduce her wind effects, especially now that it's turning cold, but would like some good feedback first.

FYI, I have a CalSci shield on my 650 ABS V-Strom with about 15,000 miles on the windshield. It works great on that bike and after those miles shows no scratches (ridden in all conditions but careful to clean properly), no fading or hazing, no distortion at all. The outer edge cosmetically is a little rougher than the RT's OEM shield (the CalSci looks polished but just not as well), and the center hole is a little rougher yet (as-cut appearance) but who cares? I'm very happy with it after all these miles.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed review. Once you get it out in the high winds, please give us an update on that. Second question and more important for me... Do you carry a passenger and does he/she feel like they are getting less wind on them? My wife is an experienced pillion rider on our Gold Wing and she feels she gets beat up more by the wind on the RT. The 'Wing has a bigger shield, more like the CalSci shield so it could well be that she's getting more wind back there. I'd love to reduce her wind effects, especially now that it's turning cold, but would like some good feedback first.

FYI, I have a CalSci shield on my 650 ABS V-Strom with about 15,000 miles on the windshield. It works great on that bike and after those miles shows no scratches (ridden in all conditions but careful to clean properly), no fading or hazing, no distortion at all. The outer edge cosmetically is a little rougher than the RT's OEM shield (the CalSci looks polished but just not as well), and the center hole is a little rougher yet (as-cut appearance) but who cares? I'm very happy with it after all these miles.
    Today, my passenger (Hubby) felt wind, but no buffeting. However, I am 5'4" with a medium shield and Hubby is 6'. With the stock shield, both Passenger Hubby and myself had significant buffeting. My thoughts are if your passenger is the same height or shorter, the wind effect on the passenger should me similar to yours.
    Last edited by Rar; 10-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    The hole is laser cut, so you won't get the polish seen on the edges, but the edges on your shield seem nicer than mine. Mine are dull and un-polished, much like my factory shield. The factory one was rounded, where as my CalSci is a square cut. If it were polished, it would have an identical look to the wings just below. I would have preferred that, but the functionality more than makes up for any shortcomings. I really would have liked polished edges though.
    Mmmm... I guess I can't hide that English is not my first language. I should have written sanded instead of polished. The top and side edges are actually sanded to a very smooth, flat surface. As others have mentioned, the edges are white compared to the stock shield, where they are dark.

Once you get it out in the high winds, please give us an update on that.
    I will, as soon as I have a "chance" to ride in high wind conditions. It should happen soon enough.

Second question and more important for me... Do you carry a passenger and does he/she feel like they are getting less wind on them?
    For this one, I will have to sit back and read other member's replies. I ride solo so I won't have an answer for you. We have young kids and little babysitting opportunities, so one of us has to stay behind when the other one has an activity.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Curious if you have talked with the manufacturer about your concerns, especially about the curviture causing it to touch the metal? As you stated, thats bound to have long term consequences If you get a chance, or the desire, I'd love to hear any feedback of how the shield does in rain I know, we're never happy & always wanting more
    Although I am a bit disappointed with the fit, I do not believe it is an issue for my personal usage so I did not talk to the manufacturer. I have young kids and I do not want to sacrifice weekend family time for Spyder rides. All thing considered, I am happy with my 7,000Km season. At this rate, I will probably change the Spyder long before vibrations can possibly damage the shield beyond cosmetics. Riders who put a whole lot more mileage may have a different take on the situation and may decide to pursue this further with the manufacturer.

It is also possible that they were not able to both get the desired shape and have the proper angle at the mounting point. I guess we won't find out until someone steps forward or the manufacturer chimes in as he did on other posts.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Thanks for this post! I'm 6' and have experienced buffetting with the stock windshield. It seems to be best about an inch lower than full height for me. I've been thinking of the CalSci shield but wanted to do their measurement tests first and I just haven't had time.

BTW - hello from a SmugMug Support Hero! Nice to see a Smugger and Spyder driver.
    The shield does the job, I just thought I would shed some light on some aspects that were not discussed before. There's nothing like making an informed decision when you are buying, and I hope that it will avoid the vendor from having to deal with unsatisfied customers who had very high expectations.

...Ben...

PS: to the Smugmug team. Awsome product.

Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree and second the original post. I ordered my XL 2 weeks ago on Friday, it arrived on Thursday, took 5 minutes to install, it was completely clear and surprisingly clean. I took it for a 60 mile ride on Saturday and at 6'2'' and seating upright, I never once put down the helmet visor. It was around 70 degrees here on Saturday and in some places pretty windy, but I barely felt it. I do not know how it does it, but the wind sort of goes over my head. If I raise myself a bit, I feel it heating my face, but 99% of the time, I am fine. Went for a 45 mi per hour ride for majority of that 60 miles, but purposely went on to I 195, to see how it does at speeds of 75+ and had absolutely no issues. Also, I am a big guy and at 240lb, my body wasn't hit much either, which I found surprising. So overall, very happy!!!!

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

I have reservation about the hole in the windshield (vent) - especially in bad weather...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

ive been caught in a couple of spot showers (very common in florida...) and the vent in the windshield didnt create any problems (in terms of rain coming thru it or being thrown up...

if anything, the aerodynamics of the windshield sort of pushes the rain out towards the edges of the windshield and I didnt feel anything on my face (was riding without a helmet at the time)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can look at the vent and inclement weather this way if it helps...
    MOther nautre is already throwing the rain at you from overhead, and the Bike's aerodynamics are doing their dead-level best to try and drown you from the sides and from below...
    The hole in the shield might be another pail of water going into the ocean; that's all!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the Review! I have the Calsci X-L on my GS and Love it BUT The stock 2012 RT shield is Great in the wind for me!
    I hardly have any of the wind noise against my helmet in the up Position. The RT calsci would only be used during winter time as I need air around me in the summer. I can,t afford the luxury ?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Thanks for the Review! I have the Calsci X-L on my GS and Love it BUT The stock 2012 RT shield is Great in the wind for me!
    I hardly have any of the wind noise against my helmet in the up Position. The RT calsci would only be used during winter time as I need air around me in the summer. I can,t afford the luxury ?
    Every rider has a different body shape, many tend to ride on different road types and everone's tolerance level towards any given annoyannce is also different.

I am tall enough that I bought the BRP comfort seat to get a good riding position on the RT. The seat pushes me back and up, so it is possible I get more buffetting than the average rider. I also usually ride only once or twice a week, but I tend to ride 5 to 8 hours with as few stops as possible. I usually ride on the highway for 30 to 45 minutes to get out of the city and then switch to backroads, then back again on the highway to get home.

Under these circumstances, the new result for me is a decent improvement over the stock shield. It might not be the case for everyone.

Considering the amount time I spend on the Spyder, I admit it is also more luxury than anything else. But then again, the Spyder itself is also pure luxury for 99.9% of us.

...As long as luxury does not affect the essential...

...Ben...

(Usualy located near Montreal, but currently in Pewaukee, Wi)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MtlBen View Post
    I know there were many reports on the CalSci effectiveness, but I though potential buyers would benefit from the reading below, as it brings up points that I have not seen raised before.

Bike riders can be a tough audience when it comes down to fit & finish. For the ones that will not compromise on these points, pay special attention to points 4-5-6.

1- Delivery
    I placed the order on a Friday morning, and I received the shipping confirmation email and tracking # in the afternoon. This was as good as it gets. The box was shipped USPS->Canada Post (I am located near Montreal, Canada). I received the box the following Thursday, which is the usual delay for international shipping. As it sometimes happens with USPS, no custom brokerage fees, no custom duties, no federal/provincial taxes.

2- Packaging
    The shield was nicely wrapped in a soft cloth that I reused to store the original windshield, and bubble wrap used to secure it in the box. There was a micro-fleece cleaning cloth, an empty plastic spray bottle and a promotional tire pressure gauge, as others have reported.

3- Windshield size
    I ordered the XL, since I am 6'4" and ride on a BRP RT comfort seat that makes you sit a bit higher than on the stock seat. I was able to comfortably look over my 2011 RT original shield so I wanted the same size. The 2 shields are the same size, but the CalSci's holes are 1/4" lower, therefore moving it higher by the same amount. The CalSci shield's top edge is also more straight, compared to the more "pointy" stock shield, so it adds to the feeling of having a taller shield. It does not matter much to me, as I have enough downward adjustment left to lower it out of my sight. Shorter riders may experience a different outcome. A 1/4 of an may not seem like much, but it is noticeable. Below are the 2 shields on top of each other.

4- Windshield curvature - Bottom
    The windshield curvature is very different when compared to the stock shield. At the bottom, the curvature is less than the stock shield. So much that when you install it, it first touches the bottom center portion of the windshield support (Part 21), then torquing the bolts actually bend it more into shape so the rubber grommets can also touch the support. The shield comes with a warning to not torque higher than 4ft-lbs, but it seems to be enough to bend the bottom portion. Since the bottom center of the support touches the shield with so much pressure, it is bound to dig into it over time due to vibrations.

5- Windshield curvature - Top

The curvature in the area around the top bolts has the reverse problem: the curvature is more that the stock shield. This causes the shield to rest directly on the outer edge of the windshield support. The 4ft-lbs max torque is far from being enough to "flatten" it so here again, the support is bound to dig into the shield plastic. These marks should remain invisible, as they are hidden by the front screw covers. The other drawback is that since is does not rest flat on the windshield support, you can now see the square holes used to mount the front screw covers.

6- Edge Polishing

The top and side edges are sanded and have a very nice, smooth finish on par with the OEM. It is not the case with the bottom portion of the shield, where you can fell and actually see the rough cut. Same thing with the edges of the center hole, which were also left unpolished. The roughness of the center hole cut is not visible, but it shows on the lower edge without any special lighting.

7- Fogginess
    Some users have reported having received "hazy" shields. It is not my case. I rode both in cloudy and sunny conditions, with both the sun overhead and straight into sunset and have not seen any kind of haze in the shield.

8- Ride Quality
    The ride is definitely more relaxed than with the original shield. Buffeting is definitely reduced at highway speed. The "back pressure" pushing forward on our shoulders when the shield is raised is also practically gone. A tiny bit remains, but nothing like before. I only had 2 rides that were long enough to effectively test the shield, but they were both in very calm wind conditions, so for now I cannot comment on the sudden airflow disruptions caused by the side winds with the stock shield. Below are the Before and after pics: (Note that the slight tint difference is due to the photo exposure, not to the windshields)

The verdict: I tend to favor function over looks, so this shield does what I bought it for: reduce the buffetting that gets tiring over long rides.

I do appreciate quality products, however, and in this department I have mixed feelings about the product. There are cosmetics "shortcomings" that are only visible from up close, but I am also a bit concern about longer term wear and tear.

The original, full-size 12 Mpixel photos can be found here: http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/Forums...2362150_fb2wtC

...Ben...
    This is what I posted on Monday 26,2012:

The UPS guy delivered my Cal Sci windshield today. I took my sport/touring windshield off my 2011 RS-S and pack it away for the winter. I unpacked the windshield and it did not fit due to it was not finished. The sides was loaded with some heavy tool marks and not squared off. Tomorrow I'll waste a day finishing and fitting. But I am going to leave the tool marks and rough edges to show everyone what poor quality work Cal Sci did for me.

On the hazy look. My BRP sport/touring windshield is clearer than the Cal Sci. I knew that before I order my Cal Sci windshield, because it just for winter riding.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I've had a good deal of experience with both BRP windscreen and CalSci in very heavy rain. The CalSci is about a thousand times better. IMO, the big improvement is caused by the naca shaped vent hole which causes a positive pressure area behind the windscreen. With the stock screen you have air flowing rapidly to the low pressure area behind the screen pushing more rain onto the rider and also the back of the screen. With less water pooling on the rear side the CalSci affords better visibility in heavy rain.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Travel Cover and CalSci windshield

I had posted this question on another thread regarding CalSci shield but no one replied:
    I have an 2012 RT Limited that came with the travel cover. Does the travel cover still fit with a CalSci XL?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionfool View Post
    I had posted this question on another thread regarding CalSci shield but no one replied:
    I have an 2012 RT Limited that came with the travel cover. Does the travel cover still fit with a CalSci XL?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Unless they have changed the cover since 2010, which I doubt, I suspect it will fit. The cover was originally intended for the 2010 RT, which had a taller and wider windshield. Only a Cal-Sci owner could tell you for sure, though. As a worst case scenario, though, you would just have to add a bungee to hold the cover down in front. We're only talking about a couple of inches of difference...and the cover will fit with the windshield up, so it should fit with yours lowered.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Unless they have changed the cover since 2010, which I doubt, I suspect it will fit. The cover was originally intended for the 2010 RT, which had a taller and wider windshield. Only a Cal-Sci owner could tell you for sure, though. As a worst case scenario, though, you would just have to add a bungee to hold the cover down in front. We're only talking about a couple of inches of difference...and the cover will fit with the windshield up, so it should fit with yours lowered.
    Currently with the stock shield if I want the cover tight, I raise the shield to full up. I am more concerned with the width. I am concerned if the cover will fit over the width of the Cali at the top of the shield. Thanks for the comments though, still looking for some one with actual experience as you stated.
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since the 2010 shield was tapered; try running the Cal Sci up until it fits the taper that's in the cover...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since the 2010 shield was tapered; try running the Cal Sci up until it fits the taper that's in the cover...
    Thank you, I did not know that the 2010 had a less tapered shield. I had however heard they were taller.
    Thank you NacysToy, and Bob Denman for the info / confidence

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionfool View Post
    Thank you, I did not know that the 2010 had a less tapered shield. I had however heard they were taller.
    Thank you NacysToy, and Bob Denman for the info / confidence

The 2010 windshield was both taller and wider. Two inches taller, and an inch wider each side. The taper was the same.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!