Spyder Garage

Default Guidelines for buying a used Spyder

Given my medical expenses, it appears buying a brand new Spyder looks out of the question. I'd really like an ST, though. What recommendations can you fellow Spyder riders give for going the used route, I.E. Ebay, Cycletrader or a private seller. Obviously you don't want to get taken or buy someone's nightmare they're trying to unload. I read on here about someone getting a 2012 RT for a remarkable price. Good for them! I'm generally leery of lowball pricing. I want some kind of warranty. The forum is open...

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Try Craigslist...I would not buy unless I saw it in real life....check out the dealers trying to get rid of the 2012 models...some dealers are giving some real good prices....

Spyder Garage

I would also be leery about private sellers. Probably the best place is to check out the for sale stuff on SL. You can look back at the persons previous posts and get a lot of information about them and the they are trying to sell.

People that come to SL with one or two posts to their credit and trying to unload a used would also make me a bit leery.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Local dealer with a trade at a fair price with an extended Warrentty .

That said a new 2012 with a rebate and money off may be a better deal .

A private owner that is wanting to trade up just for the sake of having a new 13

It all comes down to the deal and knowing it is THE deal , patience is the key along with being able to pull the trigger when the deal presents its self .

Good luck , when you get one you will love it they are such a blast to ride .

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Above all, Get some kind of warranty.
    And don't buy it from someone who's dealer patched up a troublesome Spyder and then they traded it in for a different brand. That's where a warranty is essential to get.

Spyder Garage

I would not be afraid of a private seller, you have to be more careful. Look for clues to see if the person you are dealing with is really a curbside dealer, is so walk away. It is very difficult to be sure you are getting a honest history so use all your senses to give it a full inspection. The more mods that are done, the lower the price you should be willing to pay. Make sure you can be assured of clear title be following whatever procedures your state requires.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buying used can sometimes be a real crapshoot...
    Why not take a look at the EBayers who have 2012 leftovers...

Otherwiise; I think that what Akspyderman said makes a lot of sense. Shop in here; knowing that the seller has left footprints along the way!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Buying a used Spyder

Even if you don't find the ad for the spyder here, an idea gleaned from Lamonster, look up the SL users name if they are registered here. Then do a search for all the posts they have made here to see if they have any chronic complaints about the bike in question.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point!

Spyder Garage

I just bought one from a private seller and it is a good bike. The beauty of buying one of the older bikes is that most if not all of the problems have been uncovered and you can usually find the solution for the problem right here. I bought my used bike and then just fixed the things I knew were wrong with it.

If you buy a used bike I would stay away from any farkles, add ons, modifications of any kind especially anything having to do with electrics. Any engine performance 'enhancements' would be next on my list of things to avoid. All add ons have a negative effect in some way. ( I know I am going to incur the wrath of the masses who enjoy modifying their bikes. I modify mine too. But as delivered it is a very well engineered machine and with rare exception there is not much you are going to do that is going to make it better.) Better to buy a stock bike if available and put the things on that you want. At least you will know who to blame for the problem it causes and where to look. If they have been installed incorrectly you will have a nightmare on your hands.

Warranty is not worth much in my opinion but I wouldn't turn it down. Dealer service and slow warrenty repairs left a bad taste in my mouth in 2009. Hopefully the dealerships have evolved a bit since then. I will eventually have to find out but I am putting that day off as long as it is possible. But the sophistication of this machine does mean that there are some things left to the guys with the tools to do it correctly.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand why so many of you would not buy from a private seller. There is a smoking deal on a 2012 RT Limited on here from a private seller in fact it is such a deal that Lamont posted a link to it on Facebook. It has $10,000 in mods. The comment about the more mods the less you should pay makes no sense to me either. Typically the mods don't add to your selling price but why would they subtract from it? From a seller's standpoint they are generally better off to return the motorcycle/Spyder to stock and then sell the mods separately.

I purchased my 2010 RTS used on ebay from a private seller - sight unseen. He had also listed it here on SL. 49,000 miles later and I have no regrets at all. People sell for many reasons and in this young mans case it was financial since he found out a month after he bought it that his wife was expecting and they couldn't afford the payment anymore. He took a big hit and I got a great deal.

I would imagine that you can have a dealer look up the VIN and let you know if it has been serviced. Also if it is still under factory warranty you can still purchase the extended BEST warranty.

You need to know what you are looking at and be as smart as you can on all things Spyder before you go shopping. That goes for shopping at a Spyder dealer or anywhere else. If you believe the sales guy when he tells you that the Spyder will go 200 mph because the speedo goes that high you need to do more research before you buy.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default RESEARCH SERVICES DONE FROM DEALER

If you have a used one your interested in, ask the seller where he has gotten his service done. The service dept. at the dealership should be able to tell you the history of the maintenance performed on the Spyder. As I have stated before, I work at a HD dealership and perspective buyers have approached our svc dept. for past services done. The history is in the computer for all HD dealerships to see. Not sure if same case among Powersports dealers, but should be able to go to dealership service was done at.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don't understand why so many of you would not buy from a private seller. There is a smoking deal on a 2012 RT Limited on here from a private seller in fact it is such a deal that Lamont posted a link to it on Facebook. It has $10,000 in mods. The comment about the more mods the less you should pay makes no sense to me either. Typically the mods don't add to your selling price but why would they subtract from it? From a seller's standpoint they are generally better off to return the motorcycle/Spyder to stock and then sell the mods separately.

I purchased my 2010 RTS used on ebay from a private seller - sight unseen. He had also listed it here on SL. 49,000 miles later and I have no regrets at all. People sell for many reasons and in this young mans case it was financial since he found out a month after he bought it that his wife was expecting and they couldn't afford the payment anymore. He took a big hit and I got a great deal.

I would imagine that you can have a dealer look up the VIN and let you know if it has been serviced. Also if it is still under factory warranty you can still purchase the extended BEST warranty.

You need to know what you are looking at and be as smart as you can on all things Spyder before you go shopping. That goes for shopping at a Spyder dealer or anywhere else. If you believe the sales guy when he tells you that the Spyder will go 200 mph because the speedo goes that high you need to do more research before you buy.
    I also the deal Lamont posted as a smoking deal is truly that.Great mods and he is selling because he simply wants the 2013.If I were in the market and did not have a 2012 RT I would jump all over that deal.

Ivor

Spyder Garage

Default More mods

The more mods that are done there are less buyers that want it, so lower price. Simple supply and demand. Any mods to the engine, performance enhancements or such, it's a walk away unless I want to scrap it for parts. You have no idea of the skill level of the person that did the mods and they could be source of problems.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no full proof way to buy anything...

I see a lot of various opinions and all have great value.

If it was me, I would buy from a member on these forums or my dealer of choice. And one requirement would be with at least one more year of a full warranty.

May I also add...

A service printout of the Bike I am considering to buy. This way I can see the recalls (If any) have been completed, and that the "Required" services have been done in a reasonable mileage...

YMMV... Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The more mods that are done there are less buyers that want it, so lower price. Simple supply and demand. Any mods to the engine, performance enhancements or such, it's a walk away unless I want to scrap it for parts. You have no idea of the skill level of the person that did the mods and they could be source of problems.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY ???

Hi and good luck getting a warranty on a used Spyder, or any other used motor vehicle
    Some times you may find a dealer that will offer a warranty on used vehicles but they are
    usually rentals or lease vehicles with very low miles.
    When you buy from most all dealers and ALL private sellers you are buying AS IS no warranty or guarantee.
    I have been riding most all my life and am a mechanic by trade so I feel I can check out what
    I buy and know what I am getting my self into.... however if you are not mechanical minded
    you should find some one who is and take them with you to check out a Spyder or any vehicle
    you are thinking about buying.
    I bought my Spyder RSS used from a private party that was on Craigs list, they were located
    about 70 miles from where I live.
    Any private seller will be less than a dealer, dealers are in the business to sell vehicles they
    must make a profit to be able to stay in business but some times you can find killer deals
    on this type of vehicle in the late fall or winter or just before the new Models come out.
    I saw the post where the person had invested 40+K in the Spyder and wanted to sell it for
    25 K or so but I would be very suspicious of that it does sound like is hard to believe
    the old saying if it sounds to good to be true it most likely is...
    Good Luck
    Dave
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Given my medical expenses, it appears buying a brand new Spyder looks out of the question. I'd really like an ST, though. What recommendations can you fellow Spyder riders give for going the used route, I.E. Ebay, Cycletrader or a private seller. Obviously you don't want to get taken or buy someone's nightmare they're trying to unload. I read on here about someone getting a 2012 RT for a remarkable price. Good for them! I'm generally leery of lowball pricing. I want some kind of warranty. The forum is open...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've bought some great used vehicles from private sellers and had a few nightmares when buying new from dealers. So you just never know. Anything can happen. Statistically you're probably better off buying new but it'll cost you, and buying new or having a warranty is no assurance of a trouble free experience. Either way you take some risk.

If you know enough technically about Spyders and can size them up, you can find some great deals from private sellers and save some serious money, many thousands of dollars in fact, enough to cover many repairs if necessary. If you lack the technical ability to check it out then bring someone with you who can, or better yet pay a dealer to check it out top to bottom before buying.

A used Spyder with a warranty is a major plus, but it'll probably cost you a bit more because it will sell easier and is worth more.

If you have the cash or want the latest and greatest then by all means buy new. Try to find a great deal especially this time of year when the dealers want to get rid of their inventory to make room for next year's models. With the internet you also have the option for finding deals from all over the country if you can factor in shipping costs or pick it up yourself.

All kinds of options. Bottom line is to get a Spyder of your own and join the fun.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

y has no one said check out the log book for the services and whats the stuff about if moded walk away,, i have mods on my roadster and is one of the best ones around im in proccess of selling mine and only problem ive had since owning is the dps ,, and its a 08 anyway not here to debate mods good or bad just check out the log book and if they did there own oil changes to save some cash,,, make sure its written down where when and what was replaced good luck with it mate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rrman01 View Post
    y has no one said check out the log book for the services and whats the stuff about if moded walk away,, i have mods on my roadster and is one of the best ones around im in proccess of selling mine and only problem ive had since owning is the dps ,, and its a 08 anyway not here to debate mods good or bad just check out the log book and if they did there own oil changes to save some cash,,, make sure its written down where when and what was replaced good luck with it mate
    It may be a communication difference. I did post about the service record in post #15. Same idea, different wording...

Also... It depends on the mods in many minds. If a simple bolt on, most of those are easy to spot when done wrong. But wiring and a few other mods, do require a bit of trial and error in hopes the previous owner had the expertise or service department to do it correctly. For example... Sense the Battery is (Well up through 2012 models) near the rear tire, and a lot of folks run accessories straight to the battery... How did they run and protect the wires? For all we know, under the Tupperware we have a rubbing/wearing going on we cannot see.

I would rather buy a used vehicle with the factory stereo in it, than get a potential rats nest from a "Do it yourself" person who pieced together a 1000W stereo to impress friends. I am sure we have all experienced that. That said, I am just offering that as food for thought to your question. And why I said what I said in post #15. Knowing most folks on these forums would do it right, or have their dealer do it right, reduces the level of concern.

Spyder Garage

Talking Found my '08 on Craigslist

With patience, and asking a lot of questions, a private party sales can be a great experience. I shopped online (ebay, SL, Trade Express, Craigslist) for 5-6 months, talked to a lot of sellers/dealers and ended up finding my 08 GS Premier Edition o n Craigslist by private party. We agreed to purchase the Spyder over the phone, with the understanding that the GS had been accurately represented. Next day we drove 700 miles round trip to buy it, and the seller even trailered it 100 miles to meet us in a convenient location!

The sellers were in their mid 70's and had decided to give up ryding. They were the original owners, with all the paperwork in hand, including recall work done, plus there was 16 months left on an extended warranty (transferable to me for $40). The communication was very open and the documentation backed up what we were told over the phone, so I became the very excited owner of my very first motorcycle. I feel pretty happy about the Spyder and have put almost 600 trouble free miles on her in the last 3 weeks.
    Last edited by CentralCoastCA; 10-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    Even if you don't find the ad for the spyder here, an idea gleaned from Lamonster, look up the SL users name if they are registered here. Then do a search for all the posts they have made here to see if they have any chronic complaints about the bike in question.
    Yeah, plan on taking a couple of months off doing that if you are buying from Bob

On second thought, forget it. You'll never catch up.
    Last edited by Trickie Dick; 10-10-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MIne ain't for sale!