Spyder Garage

Default experiences at the dealership?

I debated telling anyone online about my experience at the dealership yesterday but it's bugging me, so... I guess I will just to vent if nothing else.

I took my RT in for its 3K tuneup yesterday and took my coupon for the new oil change panel (they had the panel and installed it), also took the spyderpops cat heat shield with me and asked if they could install it in less than 30 minutes (if they wanted to charge me more than that, I'd rather put it on myself). I also mentioned that we found a missing rubber grommet when we took off the tupperware to put the fender LEDs on. We didn't notice when it went missing (it could have been missing before we took the tupperware off, it could have been us that lost it... dunno, don't care either, just wanted to get a new one put on).

So the good news is that they replaced the rubber grommet and installed the heat shield for no charge -- though they did mention that it could cause more work for future service. Now that I see that they hang down a little, I can see their point. Any thoughts from cyberspace?

The bad news (and the part that is bugging me) is that I sat around the corner from the service desk and worked while they did the service. They couldn't see me, but they had walked by often enough that they knew I was there and should know that I could hear every word. While I sat there, service desk guy #1 made a comment about MY RT: "Oh look! An RT that DOESN'T have any service bulletins on it!" and service desk guy #2 responds, "You should take a screen shot of that." Gave me a real warm fuzzy... not. Then later svc desk guy #1 has a whole conversation with someone who wanted to bash spyders about how he'd (the svc desk guy) NEVER own one of them! Again, I'm sitting right there in full view of the customer. Ok, I can get this one... maybe svc desk guy #1 has a role to play for certain customers, but you'd think that since he works at a dealership that sells them, he'd make an effort to at least not encourage the bashers. I spoke up and said that you needed to put a few more miles on than just a test drive to get comfortable with them, but obviously neither one heard me (or chose to ignore that woman in a motorcycle shop). grrrrr!

ok... whew.... rant over.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah thats not cool. I would make sure they heard me and discuss with the owner. That would never fly if i was at my dealer. But i would never expect that at my dealer they are very spyder friendly.

Josh
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Spyder Garage

A discussion with the owner/manager might be appropriate. The service department personnel are doing the business a great dis-service. They must not be thinking about the fact, that if it were not for the ,s they would be employed elsewhere (or in this case, maybe nowhere).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Count me in as the THIRD vote for going to see the Big Boss...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a card from one of the managers who went out of his way to make sure that I could get on their wi-fi and work from there while my service work is being done, so I'll give him a call.

I will say that I'm happy with the work that they've done on it (service techs) and all of the sales guys stopped by to see how I was liking it and that I'd gotten connected to the wi-fi etc...
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I think many of us unconsciously share our personal opinions of things from time to time without realizing who might be listening. This may be the case here. That doesn't excuse what was said. When you work for an organization selling a product or service, your opinion of these products or services don't matter and should never be expressed at the place of business unless they are supportive. Definitely would suggest speaking to owner/manager and sharing what you heard and your observations. Don't think it has to be a negative call, just an informational discussion of how they might improve the organization. I too would be unhappy to hear a service manager/tech say something negative about Spyders after I'd invested many dollars in one, both purchase and service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would bring it up as a casual side note to the manager, not a complaint as such but a word to the wise. They could be costing that dealer business both in new sales and service.

Like most I don't care what other people think but the service personal work for a can-am dealer and should be very pro Spyder while at work.

What they think personally should not be voiced while at work or at least in hear shot of the sales/waiting floor.

Just my 2 cents, which is not worth as much as it used to be.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Similar thing happend to me last week at the dealer but not with the Spyder, I was talking with one guy at the service desk while getting my oil sensor changed out on my RT and I noticed that they sell and service a Gang load of BRP Sea Doos or what ever they are called so I said well it looks like you guys do a lot of service and sales of those water machines and he replied well to tell you the truth I have been here for over 10 yrs and I would not have one if they were out of warrenty. Now #1 how does he know or not know that I might be interested in buying one and #2 if he has been there in there employment for over 10 yrs and they have contributed to his future as he IMHO is not only a service rep but a knowledgable person that know's the machines and the reputation that goes with them would discourge someone knowlingly or not who might have been on the fence about dishing out a pocket load of cash. I don't understand how someone who is Dependent on a very reputable Corp. doesn't hesitate to degrade or discourage the very product that pays there personal livlihood. Go figure. So if I was thinking about buying a water craft from BRP I would not now.

Spyder Garage

This was thoughtless of the employee but I'd rather hear their real opinion. It may not be the whole truth but it gives you something to think about and investigate.
    summerdawn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree that the manger and or owner should be given the opportunity to improve his or her business.

But as a brand new owner of an RT-S with some issues; it would be helpful to find out if the service persons
    are right. From time to time we all make mistakes. But if they aren't addressed, if needed, many others may make
    the same mistake.

Tom

Ride Safe.......Ride Smart

Spyder Garage

Default My experience

We had our Spyder RSS serviced at 6800 miles. We made an appointment to be there at 1000. We arrived at 0945. They took the spyder back at 1005. At 1115 we asked them how much longer and he said that it wouldn't be long. At 1215, I went up to the desk and asked what the problem was. I told them we had been waiting over 2 hours. I also told him that we would not be paying for all this time. The service manager stepped out to talk to us and told us that the tech did not know that we were waiting on the bike and had been working on another bike. When he realized this he told him to get on ours. We told him that we would only pay for one hour. He had a lot of excuses about why there was so much confusion, but he did only charge us the 1 hour. I wish there was another place around here to get it serviced. As it is it is 50 miles from my house. We finally got out of there at 1250.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vondalyn, I noticed your located in Colorado, which dealership was this?

Spyder Garage

I want a dealer to be truthful but they have to have both positive and negative stories to share. Give my both sides and help me make an informed choice.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I have the SpyderPops catalytic converter shields and they have not caused any difficulties for me when getting service. Besides, I love it that they actually work.

Spyder Garage

IMO, don't expect a high level of corporate professionalism at a motorcycle service department. Two ways to look at this..they are correct in their assumptions and we're thin skinned since we have so much invested..or, they are basically 2 wheel techs used to dealing with less complex 2 wheelers with more conventional technology.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I have a card from one of the managers who went out of his way to make sure that I could get on their wi-fi and work from there while my service work is being done, so I'll give him a call.

I will say that I'm happy with the work that they've done on it (service techs) and all of the sales guys stopped by to see how I was liking it and that I'd gotten connected to the wi-fi etc...
    Look at the bright side? The manager gave you a card to work while you were waiting-They found the missing rubber thing and replaced it and installed your heat shield for FREE!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Night

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    I have the SpyderPops catalytic converter shields and they have not caused any difficulties for me when getting service. Besides, I love it that they actually work.
    Growing up, my town used to be known for cruising Main Street on weekend nights. Long ago they banned cruising. Once a year they hold "cruise night" and huge crowds come out to sit along the side of the road in their chairs, all the closed business parking lots are filled with different varieties of cool cars, we get a ton of classic cars and hot rods and huge trucks, and some motorcycles. We decided to cruise on the Spyder. The average speed through old town was about 8-12 mph.... and we were in shorts and no helmets because it was hot and we wanted to see everything (no lectures please). Anyway -- if I'd been riding in those conditions before the catalytic converter shields were installed, my feet would have burned off. THEY WORK GREAT!

Now... I have to figure out how to make a movie that I can upload. We were the only Spyder and it seems as if it's a hit with most people. We got the 10+ "score" flash card from one group on the sidelines who was scoring cars as they drove by. It was a pretty fun night.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by summerdawn View Post
    This was thoughtless of the employee but I'd rather hear their real opinion. It may not be the whole truth but it gives you something to think about and investigate.
    My service tech makes comments like that directly to me... but he knows I have a thick enough skin to know what he means. And we get along well. I'd never assume he means it as a slam, it's just ribbing amongst the guys.

I think their comment about service bulletins is a veiled compliment. You are one of their customers who has kept everything up to date. They're more complaining about how other customers haven't bothered to do the updates. Or I read that wrong.

Sometimes you have to just go along with what the customer is saying, and that might put you in an awkward position later as your stories become tangled. I believe honesty is a better way to go here, and if he really feels that way about the Spyder, so be it. It's definitely not for everyone. If it were we wouldn't get so much attention

Glad they did good work, it's rare to hear of a dealer that does a decent job on these things.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default The Candy First

In situations such as this where a discussion with the management is definitely warrented, you will be better received if you deliver the candy first. Tell them how much you appreciated the great service and the generally good atitude of the techs and the salespeople and then unload the troubling news. Bad news is always better received when the sweet preceeds the sour.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    We had our Spyder RSS serviced at 6800 miles. We made an appointment to be there at 1000. We arrived at 0945. They took the spyder back at 1005. At 1115 we asked them how much longer and he said that it wouldn't be long. At 1215, I went up to the desk and asked what the problem was. I told them we had been waiting over 2 hours. I also told him that we would not be paying for all this time. The service manager stepped out to talk to us and told us that the tech did not know that we were waiting on the bike and had been working on another bike. When he realized this he told him to get on ours. We told him that we would only pay for one hour. He had a lot of excuses about why there was so much confusion, but he did only charge us the 1 hour. I wish there was another place around here to get it serviced. As it is it is 50 miles from my house. We finally got out of there at 1250.
    Which dealership did you go to?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Many service techs are like the this forum. The bikes that they remember are the ones with issues. All the ok ones just blend together. This gives them an altered view of the bike.