spydeyblue

Default Motorcycle Hand Gesture Question

Ok folks, I'm new to the entire world of motorcycling, not just Spyders, so I have a question about something I've noticed two-wheeled motorcyclists doing. Many times, when a motorcyclist passes me on the highway, heading in the other direction, they will make a gesture with their left hand, which looks like they are pointing their index and middle fingers at the pavement. At first, I thought this was just a very casual way of waving "hello", but after reading some posts on this forum, I am wondering if this gesture actually means something more? Maybe they are pointing two fingers at the road to symbolize the two-wheeled motorcycles they are riding on? If this is the case, then maybe should I give them a "three-finger" wave back? Any ideas, suggestions or explanantions??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll mean whatever you want it to mean to you...
    There is no universal biker/hand signal language.
    (Unless he tells you that you're number one in his heart with the single-digit salute!)

I'd take it as a simple wave; nothing more.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Originally, motorcyclists waved at each other as a sign of recognition and respect. There was no "secret handshake" or anything like that. In recent years, variations have cropped up, two fingers to signify a motorcycle, three for some trikes, a "thumbs up" for approval, or a middle finger out of disrespect. Most riders still use whatever pleases them, either high or low. A sport-bike rider or a rider with a clutch may merely lift a finger on the right hand. A busy rider often just nods. It is a still a sign of respect and recognition, only with more variations. If you choose to do the same, use whatever gesture you prefer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Just try not to do the "Dual OMG" hand wave... This does freak others out
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

the 'two fingers' is a friendly gesture, like saying 'hello' & also meaning "keep your two wheels on the road"...
    HOWEVER... as a SPYD3R rider, i fire back with THREE FINGERS UP... small, ring & middle fingers points up... it freaks 2 wheelers out...
    i'd rather be 3 UP than 2 DOWN... if you know what i mean...

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    the 'two fingers' is a friendly gesture, like saying 'hello' & also meaning "keep your two wheels on the road"...
    HOWEVER... as a SPYD3R rider, i fire back with THREE FINGERS UP... small, ring & middle fingers points up... it freaks 2 wheelers out...
    i'd rather be 3 UP than 2 DOWN... if you know what i mean...
    I use my thumb, index and middle finger. Tough the thumb is out there so Intentionally casually most won't notice.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

I know I'm gonna get a lotta "booooos" on this one, but 99.99999% of the time I just nod my head. I personally don't like taking my hands off the bars. No disrespect to my fellow ryders, nor snobbery. It's just my preference.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I know I'm gonna get a lotta "booooos" on this one, but 99.99999% of the time I just nod my head. I personally don't like taking my hands off the bars. No disrespect to my fellow ryders, nor snobbery. It's just my preference.

Chris
    Here is another option.

Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I just wave at them all. I don't really think (and often never look) to see if they wave back or flip me off or whatever. I don't even think about how I wave. Open hand, two, three fingers, I just wave. Waving makes me feel good. If they do, great. If they don't, I probably don't know anyway and it sure doesn't affect my day either way.

I get out there for my own sense of well being and don't let anyone drag me down!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I just wave at them all. I don't really think (and often never look) to see if they wave back or flip me off or whatever. I don't even think about how I wave. Open hand, two, three fingers, I just wave. Waving makes me feel good. If they do, great. If they don't, I probably don't know anyway and it sure doesn't affect my day either way.

I get out there for my own sense of well being and don't let anyone drag me down!

Me too.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

I just wave with my hand relatively low. It's just a biker thing, though some like to do two fingers to mean keep your wheels on the road. I've been doing it since the 1970s. I'm sure bikers were waving long before I started...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes I wave down low. Sometimes I wave at shoulder height. Sometimes, if I'm hanging on during a curve, I might nod my head or lift my fingers off the handle bars while leaving my palm and thumb on to steer. And since spyders are rare around here, if I see one, I get so excited that I lift my arm high and wave like an idiot!

And I've even had some bikers give me one of these!

Spyder Garage

I don't use any particular wave, just the "wave of the moment". No single digit stuff though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just do the 2 finger thing I have done for years on motorcycles.I guess I should start doing the 3 fingered thing.Never thought about it before reading this post.

Ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that "Frank the Real Biker" may be on to something!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    Nothing at all wrong with that! A lot of Sport bike and sport touring bike riders do the same, for the same reason. In wind, curves, or with a manual clutch, it is often a necessity. How makes no difference to me, but I appreciate the acknowledgement.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I always answer a wave with a wave and I give a wave no matter if I get one back or not. Of course it does get a to be a bit of a pain when all the cars start waving also.

Other then a wave I have noticed in my travels that if an on-coming rider gives me a tap on the top of his/her head it is a clear sign that smokey is just ahead and is probably on the look for speeders. I have gotten used to doing it now also and let me tell you when I get the sign I slow to the speed limit cause so far 100% of the time smokey is just up ahead.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

it's just a wave

and I wave at ANY biker. no matter what they're on.
    most of the time... I drop my left hand down, hold out
    my thumb, index and middle fingers and wave. but...
    if I'm in twisties or shifting, I raise my index and middle
    fingers only, so I can keep my hand on the grip.

and do NOT take offense that some bikers do not wave.
    some... simply do NOT see you, due to looking at an object
    in the road, enjoying a view in another direction, or having
    to keep an eye on tail gators, or some half wit texting or on
    a cell phone. a majority of the time... you'll get a wave from
    a passing biker. if not... oh well.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I always try to wave but in my imediate area most don't wave back. While on a ride today I did have a guy in a truck give us a big thumbs down and I amit the I did give the unicycle wave back.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that "Frank the Real Biker" may be on to something!
    I love it!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Passing another Spyder owner

Tonight while taking a good friend on her first ride on a Spyder RT, I saw in the distance a light pattern like mine, it was a spyder. Passing this one was a high five wave to one another, I guess we were both excited on seeing another RT identical to each other pass by.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I raise my left hand in a "how" position 100% when I see a fellow motorcyclists coming and get a 95% return wave....in many different configuratios. 50% of the HD passengers do the waving here, which works just as well.

Yesterday, on our weekly breakfast ride, we (11 of us) were on a norrow road and coming the other direction was 20-25 Harleys of the local HOG chapter. I waved for 1/4 mile it seemed...ha ha

Several weeks ago, returning from a Sunday breakfast, alone, I came upon a sport bike group. I waved, as most of them did, except one who did a wheelie as he passed in the other direction. Now, that was a wave!

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as they don't wave like this: 400-04195555w.jpg, I'm as friendly as can be.
    Once they do; I drop two gears and make for the next zip code!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tapping the helmet means "law enforcement ahead" around here.

An "ok to pass me" signal to bikes that are coming up from behind is always welcomed by faster bike riders, especially from the like of us since they aren't always sure what we are.

i've got a book somewhere on the subject of MCsign language. I think Whitehorse still sells it. Problem is, I've never noticed any of the signs, except for the LEO one, in use.

I do try to thumbs up Spyders. Also, I try to make sure Vespa riders and such, and obvious rookies get a wave as sign of encouragement

Spyder Garage

Post just a wave

+Many times two fingers can simply mean "peace", but most times it's simply a wave of any number of fingers saying "hey" to another motorcyclist. Don't use your middle finger solely, unless that's all you got.

Ride on.
    Roadkill