Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If you're gonna replace the OEM antenna anyway, why not clip off a portion first and see if you still get reasonable reception?
    I shoulda had a V8 too!!!
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Default SHORTEE ANTENNAS

If you're gonna replace the OEM antenna anyway, why not clip off a portion first and see if you still get reasonable reception?
    Won't work. The shorty antennas have a built in coil to keep the total length of the antenna to equal the wavelength of the received signal. You still need about 30" of metal wire to get reception.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cutting the antenna will just get you a shorter and more useless piece of wire to hang in the garage.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Basically a good idea but I did not cut mine in case the shorty did not work. Also it could put your eye out as you bend over to put stuff in your right luggage case!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Owwww!

Spyder Garage

So, I went with the ESI Shortee, chrome, and it looks great. Hopefully no problems with rusting. Worst part was trying to take the OEM off. Was locktite on and didn't have the right tools. But "with a little help from my friends", got it off. The chrome really dresses it up nicely

Spyder Garage

The reason we don't do that is because it is practical!!! and it might work and then we will have too much time on our hands.

(good idea though)
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But with that extra time; you could spend some of it bulking up your "Christmas Wish-List" with the new Accessories catalog!

Spyder Garage

Default shortee antenna problems

i am trying to take off factory antennas to put on the shortees , i think they put on a lot of locktite at the factory . whats best method to get these off ,
    thanks ,

Spyder Garage

The factory doesn't install the antenna. The tech at the dealership installs it when he puts the trike together. Had mine install my shortie instead of the original during assembly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chisel_maker View Post
    I can't guarantee it will work in your hills but for the price it's worth the try.
    The hills up Bobs way are lined with tin foil...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baker911 View Post
    i am trying to take off factory antennas to put on the shortees , i think they put on a lot of locktite at the factory . whats best method to get these off ,
    thanks ,
    I had the speaker pod off once, and was trying to just unscrew the antenna. It looks like the tech cross threaded it into the block. 2 pair of vice grips couldn't get them apart. I guess the next time I take that pod off, I'll have to take the block out, and use my bench vice.

Spyder Garage

The early RTs had a lot of trouble with losing antennae. BRP issued a service bulletin to have a drop of loctite put on the last thread only of the antenna, and added a star washer. Many techs put on too much loctite, which insulates the antenna and makes it less effective. Spyders produced after the service bulletin had a revised antenna block. I suspect this one had lock threads or some similar mechanism to prevent antenna loss. The inability to remove the antenna on newer Spyders may be due to this redesign.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!