Spyder Garage

Default RS-S or wait for the ST-S model???

Hello all,

I am new to the group. Unfortunately I only own a SpYder in my mind and not in real life... yet. I am a big guy (6'5 285lbs) but fortunately or unfortunately(depends on the day) my wife won't be riding with me but once every blue moon, if that often so I am not concerned about the weight limit of 440 lbs. My dilema is whether to get a great deal on a 2012 RS-S SE5 in December or wait until late February and up my money on a ST-S SE5. The reason I have to wait at all is because my truck will be paid off by February so I will have the extra cash or in January I can use a portion of my income tax or year end bonus for a down payment. Truthfully the only thing I love about the new model over the 2012s are the driver floorboards(with the break pedal seeming to be in a better spot?), cruise control, and the adjustable windshield. I probably won't be doing the thousands of miles like the seasoned SpYder riders but if I do go for a cruise that is further than the grocery store I want to be comfortable. My questions are below, any advice or opinion is welcomed. Thanks!!!

1 - if I get the 2012 RS-S, how difficult and expensive would it be to have cruise control added, add driver floorboards, and have the brake pedal extended(if all of these are possible, would the price put me at the ST-S range)?

2 - will the driver floorboards add extra comfort on longer trips for a guy of my size or will it make things more odd for foot positioning?

3 - I hope this doesn't offend any of the SpYder drivers, but when I get one will it have to be in the garage all of the time? I drive an F-150 and my wife a Dodge Durango. There isn't much extra room after we are parked in there at the same time. Would a good outdoor cover do the trick?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Hello all,

I am new to the group. Unfortunately I only own a SpYder in my mind and not in real life... yet. I am a big guy (6'5 285lbs) but fortunately or unfortunately(depends on the day) my wife won't be riding with me but once every blue moon, if that often so I am not concerned about the weight limit of 440 lbs. My dilema is whether to get a great deal on a 2012 RS-S SE5 in December or wait until late February and up my money on a ST-S SE5. The reason I have to wait at all is because my truck will be paid off by February so I will have the extra cash or in January I can use a portion of my income tax or year end bonus for a down payment. Truthfully the only thing I love about the new model over the 2012s are the driver floorboards(with the break pedal seeming to be in a better spot?), cruise control, and the adjustable windshield. I probably won't be doing the thousands of miles like the seasoned SpYder riders but if I do go for a cruise that is further than the grocery store I want to be comfortable. My questions are below, any advice or opinion is welcomed. Thanks!!!

1 - if I get the 2012 RS-S, how difficult and expensive would it be to have cruise control added, add driver floorboards, and have the brake pedal extended(if all of these are possible, would the price put me at the ST-S range)?

2 - will the driver floorboards add extra comfort on longer trips for a guy of my size or will it make things more odd for foot positioning?

3 - I hope this doesn't offend any of the SpYder drivers, but when I get one will it have to be in the garage all of the time? I drive an F-150 and my wife a Dodge Durango. There isn't much extra room after we are parked in there at the same time. Would a good outdoor cover do the trick?
    LD,

Welcome to the forum -- you'll get a ton of great responses but I thought I'd offer my feedback.

2012 vs 2013 - that is a choice only you can make as it is more about what it is "worth" to you from cost vs. feature perspective. And if you are looking February, there will probably be plenty of "gently used" Spyder RSS available for sale at decent prices and I am sure if any dealer has them still in stock, they will be looking to move them pretty aggressively. So my thought would be, save your pennies, wait and see what the deals are when you are ready to buy - and what meets your needs.

So to your questions

1 - Cruse control will not be electronic on a 2012 without spending some decent bucks - there are several "mechanical" throttle control devices out there that can be had for $50-150 bucks - it isn't cruise but it will give you some throttle hand relief. There are several SL site sponsors that offer great floorboard solutions (I have an RS and haven't gone down that road yet) but figure you'll spend between $200-800 to get floorboards depending on what style/price point you want to shop. I can't offer any comments on the brake being extended (if you mean moved forward) but if you just want a bigger pedal there are a variety of options.

2 - More positions you can move your feet and change the bend of your knee will certainly improve comfort. That being said, what is "comfortable" is different for everyone (even if you are the same height and weight as someone else, what they love, you might hate.

3 - there are probably lots of people that store their spyders outside. Consider a good outdoor rated cover (BRP makes some very snug fitting covers) and you should be good to go! I have temporarly moved my car out of my garage out so the spyder can live inside. What can I say, I care more about babying the spyder than I do the car!

Hope that helps, welcome to one of the greatest communities on the "internets" and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Brian

P.S. So I BEAT BOB DENMAN to the punch, when you get your byke make sure to post pictures because "THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The good deals with the RS-S will last for a while. I'd test ride the new ST and the RS-S and compare there are major ride differences and the whole set up is different. Other than cost you may like the RS-S better or the ST. Buy what you like and don't worry about the different cost. After a few years and thousands of miles you won't care!.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard!
    I'm guessing here, but your "lack of shortness" might make the more stretched-out seating position of the ST a bit more comfortable.
    Go sit on some bikes and have fun shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the information. I know the only way to decide on what to get is to sit on them and drive them and decide from there. I guess my only concern with the RS-S was that braking wasn't a natural progression(if that makes any sense). I felt like I had to look for the brake each time I was ready to stop. The salesman said that it would be an adjustment period no matter what. I also test drove the RT just for kicks and it seemed a little smoother to reach the break...Hopefully the 2012 I really want will still be available and that I can still get a rebate of some sort. We shall see

Spyder Garage

Another difficult decision. Test riding is the best way to determine what is best for you--provided the 2012 is still available when they get the ST's in.

Let us know what you purchase.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUYING A SPYDER

Buying really is a judgement call....you had better ride them all.....none are in-expensive.....But you are in luck...you are about 40 miles away from a dealer that from what I hear is practically GIVING them away ..not kidding,,,Greenville Tx......They have lots of ads on E-Bay right now.....and someone here just got a great deal.............good luck.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-03-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'll make this easy for you

WAIT

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

WAIT
    You feel that strongly about the ST Lamont?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

WAIT
    It's not worth the discount when you have the chance to get the latest machine with all those upgrades.Time passes quickly.

Ivor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRT-S View Post
    You feel that strongly about the ST Lamont?
    For his size and needs I would wait for sure. And yes I feel strongly enough to lose my butt on my GS/RS to make room for an ST

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If Lamont says to wait...

Spyder Garage

Default this should be easy...

yeah my wallet and all the wise people say wait but the call of the road is LOUD!!!...I would pass out if I bought one now and found out I could get all of the upgrades I want at a good price only 90 days later. Let's face it, $19,000 or $21,000 won't make much difference over the course of 4 or 5 years, but right now I feel like the kid looking inside the candy store at all the candy he can't have. I just have the sneaky suspicion that the ST will be the blend of comfort and style that I need. Good thing I am broke today or this thread would be changed to...can you trade a 2012 RS for a 2013 ST?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Much bigger difference

A brand new 2012 RSS SM5 is $14,000 out the door and the SE5 is $15,300 out the door.

the ST-S starts at $21,000

that's a $7,000 difference!!

if the RSS is uncomfortable to you because of your size, wait for the ST.

just get your facts straight and do what's right for you. Some people can afford to throw away $7,000 to have the slightly newer model. Some people are content having the second best.

Spyder Garage

Default not so fast...

ha-ha!!! let's be clear I can't afford to throw away any money. Truth be told I really shouldn't even consider the Spyder for a while, if I was being financially responsible...but I want one so here I am asking questions about it. I saw a place that was selling them cheaper than my closest dealership but since I am not really an automotive guy I like the sales guy I have been talking to and built a little trust there. I just feel like if something goes wrong I can go to him and he will do all he can to work it out. I guess I will pay a little more for peace of mind. Ultimately there is a risk reward in every situation so I need to suck it up and do what ever I do, but I am really leaning toward waiting for today...tomorrow I may be on the fence again. Thanks for the advice!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    ha-ha!!! let's be clear I can't afford to throw away any money. Truth be told I really shouldn't even consider the Spyder for a while, if I was being financially responsible...but I want one so here I am asking questions about it. I saw a place that was selling them cheaper than my closest dealership but since I am not really an automotive guy I like the sales guy I have been talking to and built a little trust there. I just feel like if something goes wrong I can go to him and he will do all he can to work it out. I guess I will pay a little more for peace of mind. Ultimately there is a risk reward in every situation so I need to suck it up and do what ever I do, but I am really leaning toward waiting for today...tomorrow I may be on the fence again. Thanks for the advice!
    That is a very wise statement. Your local dealer has to make money to stay in business so he can service your new Spyder and you can bet your treatment won't be as good if he knew you were shopping and bought out of state to save a buck but wanted him to do the work ahead of his local customers that bought from him. I just PMed a gal about this very thing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I disagree fundamentally

I think that there is something fundamentally wrong with a dealer expecting a consumer to pay more than fair market value if they want good and or speedy service.

we live in a free market. If your local dealer won't bite the bullet on a sale to buy you as a customer, you are just a dollar sign to him anyway.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default About floorboards

I had floorboards on a cruiser once. They added comfort, but tended to get honed on curves. Bikes I've had since including the Spyder, the pegs are below, or a little behind, the saddle. This gives you the chance to stand and stretch at appropriate times. For me, that's a better solution than floorboards or highway pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    I think that there is something fundamentally wrong with a dealer expecting a consumer to pay more than fair market value if they want good and or speedy service.

we live in a free market. If your local dealer won't bite the bullet on a sale to buy you as a customer, you are just a dollar sign to him anyway.

A dealer will always try to keep his core customers happy; even at the expense of the "fringe"...
    A really wise dealer will try to leave some time in the schedule for "surprises" ; but they may or may not even be possible with manpower cuts...
    I got bit by this very issue when I took my RT (Actually had it hauled... ) to a dealer that I didn't buy it from... It was very frustrating; but even I had to begrudgingly admit that I knew that the riders who bought from him were going to get to the feeding trough first...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post

And I suppose everyone selling a used bike in the classified section should reduce their prices to the lowest one on E Bay?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tl440 View Post
    I had floorboards on a cruiser once. They added comfort, but tended to get honed on curves. Bikes I've had since including the Spyder, the pegs are below, or a little behind, the saddle. This gives you the chance to stand and stretch at appropriate times. For me, that's a better solution than floorboards or highway pegs.
    I like footpegs and highway pegs. The standard footpegs allow me to rise up over the saddle when crossing speed bumps or railway tracks, dirt bike style. Saves the butt and the back.

Spyder Garage

Welcome and good luck...

May I add. Please wait until an ST is in a dealership. I will bet you a case of your preferred beverage... That if you buy an RS now, and then sit/test ryde the ST next spring you will be disappointed in the choice you made.

Not everyones joints feel the same, so I am not speaking as a know it all, but rather my experience.

We have owned three Spyders... I am 6'2"225bls... On the RS-S I could not be on the bike in the factory position for longer than 45 minutes when my joints let me know I am needing to move them. But to where???

Spent a good amount of money and time adding adjustable handlebars and floor boards to find the position that is very much like the ST will be. Then, I had to add a windshield because I was now being batted around from the wind coming off the bike. Where before my sitting position was more inline with the design of the bike. It was like taking the little windshield off of any bike that has aerodynamics to it, and getting slapped around a lot @ 60mph... Yes... Of course many bikes have no windshield, but most of those bikes also do not have any aerodynamics to the directing the wind at speed. So everything is taking the wind equally and no turbulence or slapping is going on... And or you cannot adjust the seating position as dramatically as one can on the RS...

Anyway... Not to keep you from enjoying a Spyder for now. Knowing what I know... The prices will be even better on the RS models next year as you will see the ST's flying off the showroom floors. So look at it that way. Get a good deal today, or a great deal this spring for an RS.. Or get the ST of your choice because it handles better, performs better, and you just get on and drive... Very little "Customizing" needed...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like all the models, but I hope they keep the RSbecause I believe it appeals most to the younger people because of the sportierlooks and ride position.