Spyder Garage

Default First problem...

Went into the garage this morning to head to an event at Central Florida Powersports. Got on the beast, put in the key, turned it and...nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even enough to kick the GPS on. Checked around and couldn't find a reason why the battery would be dead or the beast wouldn't come to life. It's been sitting for four days, but not with the key in or anything on. Don't have a clue. Gonna call the dealer when they open and see if they have any ideas. It could be that the battery is stone dead and maybe I can jump it, but I have no idea WHY the battery would have gone dead.

Anyone have any ideas that I might be missing something?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Kill Switch?...Is it in 1st gear...foot must be on brake to start.....I know obvious things...but a start

Spyder Garage

Kill switch is on...I turn the beast off with they key. First thing I checked, though. Have an SE so don't know if it's in gear...the ignition doesn't come on at all. No power when I turn the key. Absolutely dead.

Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

So when you turn key, nothing on cluster at all? Sound like dead battery, or loose battery connections. If you purchased at CFPS I doubt thats the issue as Justin does a great job building bikes. Re-seat relays possibly. You could jump it, and get it over to CFPS and they will take it right in the back and work on it. They are the best over there.

Spyder Garage

Phil

I am over in Cocoa Beach if you need anything from me...I will PM you with my phone number

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

GPS erroded contacts or radio module.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    GPS erroded contacts or radio module.
    They could have caused the battery to go dead?
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Can a Spyder jump start another Spyder?

I don't know if that's a dumb question, but I am severely mechanically impaired.

Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    there was a recall campaign with the radio contacts, but if you are getting service at CFPS they would have looked and replaced if there was an issue. They did mine as I had corroded contacts, but never a dead battery.

Spyder Garage

Went into the garage this morning to head to an event at Central Florida Powersports. Got on the beast, put in the key, turned it and...nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even enough to kick the GPS on. Checked around and couldn't find a reason why the battery would be dead or the beast wouldn't come to life. It's been sitting for four days, but not with the key in or anything on. Don't have a clue. Gonna call the dealer when they open and see if they have any ideas. It could be that the battery is stone dead and maybe I can jump it, but I have no idea WHY the battery would have gone dead.

Anyone have any ideas that I might be missing something?
    How much time had elapsed between the last time you ran the Spyder and this incident? I left my Spyder sitting for three weeks once and, while not dead, there wasn't enough juice to start the machine. It ended up flooding and it took a day of charging and a really 'messy' re-start to clear the flooded fuel and get 'er running normally. The only drain would've been my iPod in the top-case data jack. From then ever forward (as repeated by others in other threads), I leave the spyder on a trickle charger plugged into the rear 12v plug. No problems since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    How much time had elapsed between the last time you ran the Spyder and this incident? I left my Spyder sitting for three weeks once and, while not dead, there wasn't enough juice to start the machine. It ended up flooding and it took a day of charging and a really 'messy' re-start to clear the flooded fuel and get 'er running normally. The only drain would've been my iPod in the top-case data jack. From then ever forward (as repeated by others in other threads), I leave the spyder on a trickle charger plugged into the rear 12v plug. No problems since.
    It sat for 4 days and had been ridden the day before I left. Nothing on that would have drained it. It doesn't even flicker when I turn on the key.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do not leave the GPS on the cradle!

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Do not leave the GPS on the cradle!

I haven't heard that before. I didn't know the GPS would pull power when turned off.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Can a Spyder jump start another Spyder?

I don't know if that's a dumb question, but I am severely mechanically impaired.

Yes you can jump start from any other 12v system vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle, lawnmower, atv and yes another . Just be carefull with vehicles with a large charging capacity like a car or truck. Don't leave the cable connected for more then a couple minutes before starting. There are two connection points under the seat for this purpose.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Yes you can jump start from any other 12v system vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle, lawnmower, atv and yes another . Just be carefull with vehicles with a large charging capacity like a car or truck. Don't leave the cable connected for more then a couple minutes before starting. There are two connection points under the seat for this purpose.
    Thanks! Was going to look in up in the manual but couldn't find it...

Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default gps

they have a internal battery and a charging mode when connected to a power source if the correct connectors are corroded across they will create a direct battery short and dead battery will occur

have you tried to put a slow trickle charger on the bike let it go over night and see if it comes to life?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tx web rider View Post
    they have a internal battery and a charging mode when connected to a power source if the correct connectors are corroded across they will create a direct battery short and dead battery will occur

have you tried to put a slow trickle charger on the bike let it go over night and see if it comes to life?
    Haven't had a chance to yet. The dealer contacted me on facebook after reading my post there and said they're going to call me. CFPS is good about that kind of stuff. I may just try and jump it with my car and see how that works.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Well, it appears the battery is absolutely, irrevocably dead. Hooked it up to my car and it got enough current to turn on the dash, but not enough to start the beast or even let me shift gears. The dealer called me after seeing my post on Central Florida Spyder Ryders page on facebook and, after talking with me, said they agree the battery is dead as a doornail. I need to get it into them so they can replace the battery and see if they can find out why it went dead to begin with. Gonna call AMA and see if I can get a tow into Kissimmee.

Sigh...
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

A battery can suddenly fail. Mine did. Work great one day, dead the next day and would not charge. It happens.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

will here it is agin always have it on a battery tender when not riding and check battery cables the ones on the battery at least every 500 miles they vibrate loose.loose cables cant charge.man the tender is about 19 $$$ at walmart get one.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A battery can suddenly fail. Mine did. Work great one day, dead the next day and would not charge. It happens.
    Yep; They are Mysterious black box's, One day they light your fire, Then sometimes for no reason,
    They give up the ghost,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealership

Well, it appears the battery is absolutely, irrevocably dead. Hooked it up to my car and it got enough current to turn on the dash, but not enough to start the beast or even let me shift gears. The dealer called me after seeing my post on Central Florida Spyder Ryders page on facebook and, after talking with me, said they agree the battery is dead as a doornail. I need to get it into them so they can replace the battery and see if they can find out why it went dead to begin with. Gonna call AMA and see if I can get a tow into Kissimmee.

Sigh...

Wow, Looks like you have a great dealership. Hats off to them for contacting you, That's awesome service !

Spyder Garage

Got the beast towed to the dealer in Kissimmee...first 35 miles were free, the rest cost me $60. I'm not complaining. If all goes well (the dealer expects it to) I should have it back Monday.

Central Florida Powersports...one of the best dealers out there!
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC