Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Water pump oil leak news

Thought I should pass this on so all are aware. RT at shop with second leaking water pump shaft. Part still not sent to dealer. Web check by dealer says "in process". This after a week waiting. Dealer called BRP and was told the water pump shaft "issue" is being re-evaluated and dealer might not see the new shaft for another 9 or 10 days. Makes me think that the "issue" might be bigger than originally thought. Not really the time of the year I'd like to be without my Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default water pump oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    Thought I should pass this on so all are aware. RT at shop with second leaking water pump shaft. Part still not sent to dealer. Web check by dealer says "in process". This after a week waiting. Dealer called BRP and was told the water pump shaft "issue" is being re-evaluated and dealer might not see the new shaft for another 9 or 10 days. Makes me think that the "issue" might be bigger than originally thought. Not really the time of the year I'd like to be without my Spyder
    frank3
    I have the same problem with the pump shaft & seals. BRP said the parts has to come from Rotax
    which BRP ownes. When the dealer & myself asked if you own Rotax why cant you get the parts
    sent over. The answer was they only send parts when they find time & yours might be in around
    the first week of October or later. If so that will be about 4 1/2 weeks total on parts.
    Maybe they should change to the honda engine.

spyder stryder

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spyder stryder;522449]frank3

Good idea; no throttle body issues!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    ...so they can send the parts from Japan instead of Austria.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Third Time Around

RT at shop with second leaking water pump shaft. Not really the time of the year I'd like to be without my Spyder
    Third shaft replacement -- each of the first two shafts (the original and the first replacement) lasted 8K miles. Second replacement shaft didn't make it home from the dealer without leaking, just last week. So now it's ripped apart again awaiting the third replacement shaft to be delivered and the dealer was told it's on backorder. I had asked the dealer to find out if they're backordered because they're finally updating the part. He said he'd try to find out on Monday. I'll call and remind him and see if he can get any info. Thanks for your comments.

We had a couple trips planned for Oct but they may not happen. Great riding month in PA -- hate to miss it. Three weeks in the shop in May (great riding month) for the first time, two weeks in the shop in Sept (second replacement), currently one week and counting for the third replacement.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest Status

Called the dealer. Still no shaft. Last time I went through this, BRP sent a shaft that had the shoulder portion machined wrong and the shaft would not fit. Went through this process twice, repeat sent another mis michaned shaft. BRP finally told dealer that they were waiting on their supplier to re-manfacture new shafts to the BRP spec. BRP, to their credit, finally gave up waiting on the supplier and sent the dealer a new shaft/housing assembly from an in stock engine. Latest conversation with dealer indicates this might occure again but at any rate, I shouldn't expect to see the RT till next week at best. I'm assuming BRP/Rotax, might be dependent on an outside supplier for manfacturing this particular item. Can't count how many problems I've incurred in the last, nearly, 3 years BUT, I'm sold on the RT, love ridding it and won't give up on BRP. 30,000 + miles on this one and can't hardly wait to trade up to my next one sometime in the next 2 years.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Water pump oil leak news

Had the exact same.problem about 4 months ago on my 2010 RT-S.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

Called the dealer. Still no shaft. Last time I went through this, BRP sent a shaft that had the shoulder portion machined wrong and the shaft would not fit. Went through this process twice, repeat sent another mis michaned shaft. BRP finally told dealer that they were waiting on their supplier to re-manfacture new shafts to the BRP spec. BRP, to their credit, finally gave up waiting on the supplier and sent the dealer a new shaft/housing assembly from an in stock engine. Latest conversation with dealer indicates this might occure again but at any rate, I shouldn't expect to see the RT till next week at best. I'm assuming BRP/Rotax, might be dependent on an outside supplier for manfacturing this particular item. Can't count how many problems I've incurred in the last, nearly, 3 years BUT, I'm sold on the RT, love ridding it and won't give up on BRP. 30,000 + miles on this one and can't hardly wait to trade up to my next one sometime in the next 2 years.
    frank3
    Your water pump shaft may come in shortley.
    Mine came in Wednesday & i picked the bike
    up Thursday afternoon.Everything checks out
    good so far. A month for a part is a long time.

spyder stryder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Called the dealer. Still no shaft... Latest conversation with dealer indicates this might occure again but at any rate, I shouldn't expect to see the RT till next week at best...
    Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. Mine's been in the shop four weeks now, not counting the one day I got to ride it between shaft failures. I wrote to BRP on Sunday night and found an e-mail waiting for me Monday morning. From a customer service supervisor who assigned a case number and asked which dealer I had my bike at so they could contact the dealer for more info. I was really pleased. I responded immediately. Unfortunately that's the last I heard. Five days later and my dealer has not been contacted by BRP. I've written back to this person for an update and gotten nothing. Just a "hello" would be nice. I've lost all of Sept for riding and now looks like Oct will be partially lost. Frustrated.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Hate to say this but this water pump issue may just be a bigger problem than we all thought. Even if I get mine back next Tuesday, it'll be 3 weeks of nice fall weather ridding lost. I lived with a continual DPS problem for over a year but at least I could ride it. Not having power steering off and on wasn't a big problem just had to be aware when it occurred and adjust. But, this water pump issue has me really in the dumps. Just want my RT back.s

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

is this waterpump issue just happing on the 2010's or all yrs?

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    is this waterpump issue just happing on the 2010's or all yrs?
    Not sure but checking, gypsy_100 has a 2011 and glynnk has a 2010.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Parts Have Arrived!

My dealer just called this morning to let me know that he received five water pump shafts -- he ordered extras so as not to go thru this wait again. Good for him. Unfortunately they still have the same part number so I would assume there's no update to the parts. All I can hope is that the failed shafts/seals were somehow out of spec and these are in spec. Dealer said he's got it all done and rode it once with no leaks. Now changing rear tire and doing state inspection, then will give it a second long ride. I'll probably get it back tomorrow. 4-1/2 weeks, not counting that I had it for one ride in the middle of that. I hope all the others out there waiting for back-ordered parts also will find they have been shipped to your dealers.

As to model years that are subject to this, all I can say is that the part numbers have not changed from the "original" 2008 GS right thru the 2012 RT's. It appears that BRP does not feel any design changes are in order and keeps making the same parts for all the Spyder engines. It'll be interesting to see if the part number changed on the 2013's when the catalogs come out. My guess would be no change since they haven't seen a need to change it thus far.

Meanwhile, I'll be testing this latest repair with as many miles as possible. All I can hope is that this time it's really fixed and lasts longer than 8K miles.

Spyder Garage

Default Times 2 - STEP UP BRP

I have 2 (two) 2012 RT Ltds and they both need new shafts. I had previously posted about coolant leak in another thread. originally dealer thought it was a seal but it is the failure of these shafts that is causing the coolant to come out of the weep hole. These shafts were on back order until today. I actually called BRP and they told me they are readily available. This is very disturbing considering the $$ we have spent and the fact that it appears to be a systemic problem. Parts do not go on back order due to lack of demand....

BRP should step up and put express deliveries on these!!!
    Pete

Fortune Favors The Bold!

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default It' Ready

Dealer called yesterday. Part here, installed, test ridden and ready to pickup. Will bring my baby home today.

Spyder Garage

Don't know if it's the same, but dropped mine off at Reno's tonight to find the cause of the coolant on the garage floor.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

Question

General question here. For those who have had water pump problems.

At what mileage did the water pump leak present itself - (rs/rt) & year?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

If the shaft is my issue, I've got right at 4800 miles.
    Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Failed Again

Dealer called yesterday. Part here, installed, test ridden and ready to pickup. Will bring my baby home today.
    I hope you have better luck than I do. I picked my bike up Tuesday and rode 150 miles on the way home. Found oil and stuff on both splash pans -- hopefully left over from the major take-apart and put-together required to replace the water pump shaft. So I spent yesterday afternoon taking all the panels off and getting the pans and the engine sanitary clean. Today I rode 200 miles and the anti-freeze is very obvious coming down the clutch cover and on to the splash pan. I lost about 1/8" of anti-freeze in the tank after 200 miles.

The shaft has now been replaced three times, the last two times with immediate failures. The last two times were done by two different factory-trained technicians so I wouldn't think the installation is to blame. Of course it could be. But since I'm batting zero for three here, my fear is that all the replacement shafts are defective. I certainly hope not.

I have finally gotten a reply from the customer service rep. She said there might be an "issue" here and and they started an "investigation" last Monday. All dealers are supposed to notify BRP if they encounter water pump shaft problems. But until they develop the numbers to determine if there is a problem or not, they're not going to do anything. According to her, they will keep replacing the shafts with the same shafts until they decide if there is a problem.

Even if there's not a widespread problem, I can guarantee that I've got a problem and it will take BRP's help to solve it. I've been without the RT for seven weeks this season, including the last four weeks. So I've missed September. I have major trips planned for later in October and it looks like I'll have to just cancel the whole season. I will not sanction the dealer just replacing the shaft again. I think that's just a waste of his time and effort. And increases his frustration and mine. I'll either not ride at all or ride with an anti-freeze leak until BRP figures out what to do. Needless to say, I've been back in touch with customer service asking their assistance in getting more than a long-term study.

I'm anxious to learn how others that posted in this thread make out with their repairs. Hopefully they'll do just fine and I'm the only one with problems. But please make sure your dealer notifies BRP of the problem by whatever channel they're supposed to do that, as the customer service rep said.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So,the Dearler gave you the Shaft and it was a good thing!!!

Spyder Garage

Got a call from the dealer a little while ago. Said a 'Zebra' clamp was loose. (Why can't they just say hose clamp?) Also said tech noticed brake had been sticking, I'd noticed about every time I backed up. Said they lubed the shaft and cleaned up the disc. I hadn't noticed the brake sticking in forward gears, but if it was maybe my gas mileage will go up. Now to arrange a pick up time while dodging the rain...
    Pat

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

First occurrence was early this spring with about 25k miles. Second was this fall with 30k+ miles. Have 2010 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

First time was approx 8K miles. After replacement, went another 8K miles and the replacement leaked. 2nd and 3rd replacements lasted less than a couple hundred. Still waiting on BRP assistance to get this solved.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Still a problem in 2013

We just bought a 2013 RT-S and have a water pump oil leak almost from day one. Took it into shop today and waiting for parts and repair. Only have 3500 km. on bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

...at shop with second leaking water pump shaft. Part still not sent to dealer.
    What are the symptoms of a water pump shaft leak?

Oily water spot on garage floor?

If so, I might just have one of those!

Thanks,

George
    Argyle, TX
    2012 RTS-SE5 Ltd