Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Mine had oil leak. Made a mess on an otherwise spotless garage floor. Think some might of also coolant leak. Good luck. Sounds like Rotac engine still has a few bugs after 6 years in Spyder product

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

My 2012 RSS had 1400 miles on the clock and developed the same leak oil and antyfreeze droped it to be repaired and have run about 200 miles and still dry hope i have better luck and this is not a reacuring problem.
    Although they did change the entire pump case and all parts including the thermostat housing and hoses so im hoping for a better result i guess only time will tell.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Send parts from Japan instead of Austria? Not a problem. At least Honda has a parts supply line far superior anything BRP can come up with. And at least Honda makes a quality motorcycle, not like the BRP pieces of junk (my opinion), and unfortunately I happened to buy. But I'm in the process of rectifying that ERROR!
    Sorry to hear that you've had whatever problems you have had. However, part availability is a non-issue for the Spyder. I went through the water pump concern and my dealer had all the parts needed in only a few days. I've bought parts directly from that same dealer as well as a few OEM vendors online and have never waited more than a handful of days.

The water pump thing is just a quark on these motors. Honda has their quarks too....just ask my neighbor and his old vtx1800 that leaked antifreeze from week one. He later got tired of it and traded it for a vtx1300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

When. I first had my 2011RT, the water pump was leaking oil from the water pump within 2 weeks. The dealer determined "yes, it a water pump leak." Parts guy, who is really great, told me they had 5 of the 12 required parts. I looked at him and asked why didn't they replace the pump. Oh, no. It doesn't work like that with the water pump. We have to have all 12 parts on the shelf and then the tech can tear it apart and fix it. He said the other parts would be a week or 10 days, did I have a ride home. You bet your butt I have. Ride home, my Spyder and I are out of here. That caused a little ruckus in the building and I said screw it, it's only leaking a little bit and I am out of here. They called in about 10 days and I went down there and in 2 or 3 hours I was on the way home. I was the one who picked up on it and it was a tiny leak. Right or wrong, I lost no riding time on my new bike which now has 31,000 on it and it'll be 24 months the end of August. They have been great overall and they stock an awful lot of extra stuff for the Spyders and have supported me well. I've not lost a days riding due to lack of parts, and then only 2 days because of the valve checks that are covered under my mx program and might as well have em done. Have to leave the bike overnight so the engine is ambient temp so they can do the check the next morning and get me out that day when the other stuff gets done.
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    When. I first had my 2011RT, the water pump was leaking oil from the water pump within 2 weeks. The dealer determined "yes, it a water pump leak." Parts guy, who is really great, told me they had 5 of the 12 required parts. I looked at him and asked why didn't they replace the pump. Oh, no. It doesn't work like that with the water pump. We have to have all 12 parts on the shelf and then the tech can tear it apart and fix it. He said the other parts would be a week or 10 days, did I have a ride home. You bet your butt I have. Ride home, my Spyder and I are out of here. That caused a little ruckus in the building and I said screw it, it's only leaking a little bit and I am out of here. They called in about 10 days and I went down there and in 2 or 3 hours I was on the way home. I was the one who picked up on it and it was a tiny leak. Right or wrong, I lost no riding time on my new bike which now has 31,000 on it and it'll be 24 months the end of August. They have been great overall and they stock an awful lot of extra stuff for the Spyders and have supported me well. I've not lost a days riding due to lack of parts, and then only 2 days because of the valve checks that are covered under my mx program and might as well have em done. Have to leave the bike overnight so the engine is ambient temp so they can do the check the next morning and get me out that day when the other stuff gets done.
    Tuck
    Tuck: what dealer do you use? thanks, smoky

Spyder Garage

Default MX

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Tuck: what dealer do you use? thanks, smoky
    I bought the Spyder RTSM5 from Freedon Power Sports in Kennesaw in August 2011. Also got a 3 year mx plan they offered.
    They have had some changes in personel, but everything has always been handled professionally and I am perfectly satisfied. Just turned 33,000 miles and everything is great. They are good about customer pricing on BRP stuff too. Actually most all accessories/clothesd, etc. No give away, but a little "give", instead of just take!!
    Let me know if you're over in the Canton area anytime. Always lookin for an excuse to ride someplace. For that matter, I could meet ya most anywhere.

Tuck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Oil Leak / Coolant

As seen in many Threads My Spyder 2012 at about 1500 miles began leaving a puddle of Oil after Parked / Also Checked Coolant Level which was found to be low , Took to Stealership in Dover De.
    Parts on order , the Bill to be about $1300 to Replace Water Pump , Seals , Clutch Cover Shaft...Contacted BRP to see if they are giving owners some relief on the Cost of repair due to this to be a common issue with their product. Some American made Auto Manufactures would at least meet you half way with the cost on known issues. They were some real D#@K's. Love riding my Spyder but would re think before purchasing another BRP product. If you must have you might want to purchase the Extended Warranty after reading all the issues Spyder owners are having on the Community Forum.

Spyder Garage

There are plenty of 3rd party places to get parts.
    For example
    http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/...and-water-pump

I have mine on the shelf waiting if needed.

Spyder Garage

Default Ship Pictured Below

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Don't know if it's the same, but dropped mine off at Reno's tonight to find the cause of the coolant on the garage floor.

I see that the hull number of your ship was CG 57. My own was CG 50. Which was sunk and turned into an artificial reef I believe after it was decommissioned. Sad ending for a proud, capital ship.