Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Wind? What wind?

Hubby (Adirondack Mike) got me a Cal-Sci windshield for my birthday and he installed it today. Now, I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to ryding in the wind. I dislike, but can manage the sustained winds. The gusts throw me off balance and make me grab on. There have been beautifully sunny, but very windy days when I don't ryde because I hate the wind that much.

I just returned from a ride along the lake where the winds were about 15 mph. I could tell it was windy as the jacket under my arms was flapping. (I had a denim jacket). I kept waiting for the scary gusts. If there were any, I didn't feel them. Both the Spyder and my body were perfectly stable in the wind. In fact, I didn't even feel a need to brace myself in any way. I can't believe I'm hoping it will be windier tomorrow, so I can test it again.

As for the clarity- no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend this windshield. It is going to make a huge difference in my riding. If you're on the fence about purchasing one for your Spyder, don't be. You won't be disappointed. I LOVE it.
    Last edited by Rar; 09-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I liked the free tire gauge.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Teddy & I are glad you found a solution to your windy issues

Great News

Teddy & I are so glad to hear this

As we've been following your adventure with the wind issues

So give us some details, like which size did your wonderful husband order for you

Did you try it at different heights and get different results

With the size you have, do you look thru it or over it with it all the way down

Inquiring minds want to know

Registered Users Adirondack Mik's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Her wonderful husband, ordered a medium, the shortest clear windshield offered. Roberta is 5' 4" and it appears to work well for her. I sort of snuck it out before she tried it and it was day and night. You look at that big hole in the center and feel nothing from it. I'm 6' and if I lived farther south would opt for that size. I ride my HD without a shield because I like the wind, but with the medium there was no push on my helmet or any part of my torso regardless. Great product, and liked the free air gauge , has to be better than BRP's.

Spyder Garage

Today (my first day with the windshield), I did not notice any difference with regard to wind impact and height. However, I rode with the windshield at the lowest point throughout the highest speed limits. When I turned onto a less busy road with lower speed limits, I experimented with the raised windshield. The conditions weren't the same so I cant give an accurate comparison. I rode at 55-57 with the windshield down during the windiest parts. It performed perfectly

With the windshield down,I am looking over it. However, it's still blocking the wind. I have a 3/4 helmet and nothing buffeted my shield or helmet. In fact, there's nothing buffeting me at all. I can't believe it. I felt my jacket flapping, but no body or Spyder buffeting.

i am about 5'4 -5'5. I have a med shield and sit up straight.
    Last edited by Rar; 09-25-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Cool Love My SciFi

I love my cal-sci windshield too. I have a RS so it doesn't adjust but I wouldn't move it anyway. I'm 5'9" And with my 4" risers and Corbin seat, I sit up straight too. Before the cal-sci I too dreaded the afternoon winds. The gusts not only tried to knock me off the bike but would lurch the bike forward in the middle of a curve. Scary is an understatement. With the cal-sci and that funky hole, the buffeting is gone. Now I can enjoy my Ryde to work in the calm morning and going home in the gusting wind. The windshield is perfectly clear and easy to clean. I bought the medium and my sight line is just over the top of the shield. I highly recommend this product.
    Last edited by Jharpo; 09-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST ORDERED MINE

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    Hubby (Adirondack Mike) got me a Cal-Sci windshield for my birthday and he installed it today. Now, I'm a big scaredy cat when it comes to ryding in the wind. I dislike, but can manage the sustained winds. The gusts throw me off balance and make me grab on. There have been beautifully sunny, but very windy days when I don't ryde because I hate the wind that much.

I just returned from a ride along the lake where the winds were about 15 mph. I could tell it was windy as the jacket under my arms was flapping. (I had a denim jacket). I kept waiting for the scary gusts. If there were any, I didn't feel them. Both the Spyder and my body were perfectly stable in the wind. In fact, I didn't even feel a need to brace myself in any way. I can't believe I'm hoping it will be windier tomorrow, so I can test it again.

As for the clarity- no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend this windshield. It is going to make a huge difference in my riding. If you're on the fence about purchasing one for your Spyder, don't be. You won't be disappointed. I LOVE it.
    Ya sold me! I ordered mine on Wednesday. Will be here by Monday. My biggest issue with the stock RT-S windscreen is the NOISE ... from the wind, from the road, and from the muffler. All noises seem to converge right behind the stock windscreen and funnel into my helmet. Am looking forward to more comfortable rides, starting next week.
    Thanks for the good review.
    CapNcrunch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    . My biggest issue with the stock RT-S windscreen is the NOISE ... from the wind, from the road, and from the muffler. All noises seem to converge right behind the stock windscreen and funnel into my helmet.
    I'm looking for a quieter ride; without having to leave the Missus at home!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just talked to mark at calsci and he said I would need a XL on a RS I am 5'11. I hope everyone on here is right and this is the bomb.com. I will let you know next week when I get it and after old blue gets out of the shop. I have to put it in today, I am getting a check transmission message. I hope there is nothing big wrong it only has about 3600 miles on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck, an I hope that you can spring Old Blue from the dealers soon!
    I'm gonna have to talk with you some about "Dune"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No problem, that is my favorite movie of all time. My wife tries runs everytime shes sees its on tv somewhere.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How about some photos

How tall is the new windshield???? I am looking for one that is about 26 in. tall
    Dave
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post

Spyder Garage

I received my Calsci XL windshield last week, I'M 6'4", installed it quickly, cleaned it up, and it is GREAT

I still get a little buffeting across the top of my head (which is fine) but the major difference between the stock windshield and the Calsci windshield:

1) stock windshield: when the wind picks up, you and your ryde feel the buffeting and back draft (or whatever its called)

2) Calsci windshield: when the wind pickS up, only your ryde feels it, I am NOT being tossed around on my seat

oh, and another thing... with the Calsci windshield I can actually hear the radio....

THANK YOU!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Just bought the XL Cal-Sci. Will be here Friday. Hope she works good.....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Just bought the XL Cal-Sci. Will be here Friday. Hope she works good.....
    Got my XL calsci in today and installed. Rode from work to home but it was raining so haven't had a chance to really test yet. Will Ryde some tomorrow and report back.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderrx View Post
    Got my XL calsci in today and installed. Rode from work to home but it was raining so haven't had a chance to really test yet. Will Ryde some tomorrow and report back.

Will be awaiting your feedback.....

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"