Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW TIRES AND WHEELS ON 2013

I PERSONALLY WON'T BUY THE NEW MODEL UNTIL IT IS PROVEN. WISH THEY HAD PUT AS MUCH EFFORT INTO R&D ON ENGINE AND TRASMISSION DEVELOPEMNT. PERHAPS MORE POWER AND A 6 SPEED TRANNY FOR TOURING TWO UP. FUEL MILEAGE IS STILL QUESTIONABLE AT BEST. GUESS I SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION! 3 LUG NUTS STANDARD! DON'T HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA MONEY SO I SPEND MOST OF MINE ON GASOLINE! 2010 RT BOUGHT LATE JUNE 2011, NOW HAVE 30,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES. RADIO WENT OUT,MINOR PROB. IMMEDIATELY TAKEN CARE 0F BY DEALER. OH,BY THE WAY, I'VE RIDDEN 25 -30 THOUSAND MILES EVERY YEAR FOR THE PAST 35 YEARS SO I'M ONLY NEW TO SPYDERS SINCE I BECAME CRIPPLED BY SPINAL INJURIES. ALL OF MY MAINTENANCE HAS BEEN DONE AT THE DEALER BECAUSE OF MY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS. GUESS I NEED TO PAY MORE ATTENTION FOR YOU OTHER FORUM PEOPLE . HAVE TROUBLE TYPING TOO!NERVE DAMAGE IN HANDS AND NEVER COULD TYPE TO BEGIN WITH!
    Last edited by mailman1pc; 09-25-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: DID NOT FULLY CHECK FACTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just went outside and counted the lugnuts on my wheels...
    3 each up front! WOO-HOO!! Santa left me a new bike!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I believe all the ,s have three lug nuts on the front wheels.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Member since July 2011 to leave one comment today and then just blast on the engine and gas millage which most of us been happy for 5 years...
    Last edited by bullant12; 09-27-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: I guess he still hasn't gotten the idea that the Spyder is NOT a fuel saving vehicle. Wait for a Hybrid!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

​Laugh at and ignore...Ride and enjoy. Some people have nothing else to do but complain...so much they miss out on the joys of just being alive and able to ride.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY!

I'M THE FIRST ONE TO ADMIT I MADE A MISTAKE ,THE LAST ONE TO LIKE IT! I'VE ENJOYED MY SPYDER RIDES AS MUCH AS ANYONE COULD.WHEN I BOUGHT IT THEY ASKED HOW MUCH I'D RIDE AND WHEN I TOLD THEM THEY CHUCKLED. THEY DON'T LAUGH AS MUCH SINCE I ALSO BOUGHT PREPAID MAINT. PLAN AND AM $5,000 AHEAD ON SCHEDULED MAINT. THEY ALSO DO TIRE CHANGES AND BRAKE PADS ETC AS LONG AS YOU BUY THE PARTS! LOVE THAT PLAN AND STILL HAVE ALMOST TWO YEARS TO GO. BRP IS LIKE MOST MFGS.AND LISTENS TO FEEDBACK BUT HAVE THE BOTTOMLINE AS A MAJOR CONCERN. CAN'T HELP US IF THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS! YEP I'LL ADMIT I'M A NEWBIE! AND TIRES DONT HAVE LUGS! HA
    Last edited by mailman1pc; 09-25-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: OMISSION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mailman1pc View Post
    I'M THE FIRST ONE TO ADMIT I MADE A MISTAKE ,THE LAST ONE TO LIKE IT! I'VE ENJOYED MY SPYDER RIDES AS MUCH AS ANYONE COULD.WHEN I BOUGHT IT THEY ASKED HOW MUCH I'D RIDE AND WHEN I TOLD THEM THEY CHUCKLED. THEY DON'T LAUGH AS MUCH SINCE I ALSO BOUGHT PREPAID MAINT. PLAN AND AM $5,000 AHEAD ON SCHEDULED MAINT. THEY ALSO DO TIRE CHANGES AND BRAKE PADS ETC AS LONG AS YOU BUY THE PARTS! LOVE THAT PLAN AND STILL HAVE ALMOST TWO YEARS TO GO. BRP IS LIKE MOST MFGS.AND LISTENS TO FEEDBACK BUT HAVE THE BOTTOMLINE AS A MAJOR CONCERN. CAN'T HELP US IF THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS! YEP I'LL ADMIT I'M A NEWBIE! AND TIRES DONT HAVE LUGS! HA
    I'm glad you enjoy your as many as us do. Don't get me wrong... But we've always gotten complainers about the gas millage and plenty of experts have responded back that if you are looking to save gas, you need to look somewhere else since the aerodynamics of these machines are not much help. But hey! 30 MPG's average is not bad!

2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mailman1pc View Post
    IF YOU PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE NEW WHEELS IT CAN BE SEEN THAT THERE ARE ONLY 3 LUG NUTS ! WAS THAT INTENTIONAL ON BRP'S PART, SO WE COULDN'T INTERCHANGE ON OUR OLDER SPYDERS? SEEMS TO ME THEY HAVE CUT THEIR NOSE OFF TO SPITE THEIR FACE! I PERSONALLY WON'T BUY THE NEW MODEL UNTIL IT IS PROVEN. WISH THEY HAD PUT AS MUCH EFFORT INTO R&D ON ENGINE AND TRASMISSION DEVELOPEMNT. PERHAPS MORE POWER AND A 6 SPEED TRANNY FOR TOURING TWO UP. FUEL MILEAGE IS STILL QUESTIONABLE AT BEST. GUESS I SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION! 3 LUG NUTS STANDARD! DON'T HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA MONEY SO I SPEND MOST OF MINE ON GASOLINE! 2010 RT BOUGHT LATE JUNE 2011, NOW HAVE 30,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES. RADIO WENT OUT,MINOR PROB. IMMEDIATELY TAKEN CARE 0F BY DEALER. OH,BY THE WAY, I'VE RIDDEN 25 -30 THOUSAND MILES EVERY YEAR FOR THE PAST 35 YEARS SO I'M ONLY NEW TO SPYDERS SINCE I BECAME CRIPPLED BY SPINAL INJURIES. ALL OF MY MAINTENANCE HAS BEEN DONE AT THE DEALER BECAUSE OF MY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS. GUESS I NEED TO PAY MORE ATTENTION FOR YOU OTHER FORUM PEOPLE . HAVE TROUBLE TYPING TOO!NERVE DAMAGE IN HANDS AND NEVER COULD TYPE TO BEGIN WITH!
    Unlock the shift key when typing so we can read the post. All caps is the most difficult stuff to read because there isn't enough 'air' around the letters for the eye to focus. It doesn't matter if you don't capitalize stuff because of your nerve damage, it would be better to read it on all l/c than in all Caps.

You might get your larger engine by 2015 and maybe even a variable 8 speed tranny. At 30K a year your '10 would have close to 100,000 on it by then... so you'll be ready for the new model.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I didn't even ask what the fuel mileage was when I bought my spyder rt ltd, i just ask how big is the tank. I drive a 2010 hemi pickup dont really care how many km's to a tank i get I love what i drive and that's all that matters. I personally like stoping every 2 1\2 hours for fuel it gives me a chance to stretch and have a coke or a coffee. Fuel it and Ride it!!!
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I like the ride as much as anyone... ( at least I think I do) someone please correct me. I do believe that the gas mileage is horrible. As I have been told many times... do the math... When you are on a long trip and get 50 or 60 miles less to a tank the total cost of the trip goes up quite a bit. After my 20 some k plus on 2 of these it really begins to add up.

Aerodynamics: my thought in this day and age is that it should not be an excuse for poor gas mileage. My s.o.'s Nissan Ultima blows me away in the mileage department. My daughters VW Passat a few years old gets better mileage than I do, in town and out. Both are pushing alot of air around.

My feeling is that if it is a touring machine, be a touring machine not a bar hopper. The stopping for a break is not the issue, the constantly buying fuel is the issue. Stop all you like but not for fuel.

Power... well for me... way to little. I would like more power and torque.. Just me... definately not a fan boy, but a rider.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents worth

Most cars, trucks, bikes run around 2500 rpm at 55-60 mpa. Think about for a moment, we run about 5000 "+" to stay at hwy speeds! Its takes more air and more gas to go that rpm! 30 to 36, 100 to 150 mile per tank is the best I can get down hill with the wind pushing at my back... A lot bash the spyders for there lack of mileage per tank, I know that but some of you have to think about what your motor is doing, you can not compare apples to oranges. A lot of weight for the little motors I know, But we some of us knew that be for we took them home. If you enjoy the spyder, gas is and ride.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    I like the ride as much as anyone... ( at least I think I do) someone please correct me. I do believe that the gas mileage is horrible. As I have been told many times... do the math... When you are on a long trip and get 50 or 60 miles less to a tank the total cost of the trip goes up quite a bit. After my 20 some k plus on 2 of these it really begins to add up.

Aerodynamics: my thought in this day and age is that it should not be an excuse for poor gas mileage. My s.o.'s Nissan Ultima blows me away in the mileage department. My daughters VW Passat a few years old gets better mileage than I do, in town and out. Both are pushing alot of air around.

My feeling is that if it is a touring machine, be a touring machine not a bar hopper. The stopping for a break is not the issue, the constantly buying fuel is the issue. Stop all you like but not for fuel.

Power... well for me... way to little. I would like more power and torque.. Just me... definately not a fan boy, but a rider.

Willy
    Horrible mileage is what I get with my RAM Hemi. 8-9 mpg pulling the horse trailer and 12-14 without. I average 27 on my V-6 Venza and about the same on my Spyder. If it was gas conservation I was after I would have kept my Yamaha 650 or, bought a Prius. Neither of those floats my boat so I am happy with what I have. You sound unhappy with what you have. Maybe you should change?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love my spyder, a bitchin rider is a happy spyder lover LOL Happy Spyding.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MPG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Horrible mileage is what I get with my RAM Hemi. 8-9 mpg pulling the horse trailer and 12-14 without. I average 27 on my V-6 Venza and about the same on my Spyder. If it was gas conservation I was after I would have kept my Yamaha 650 or, bought a Prius. Neither of those floats my boat so I am happy with what I have. You sound unhappy with what you have. Maybe you should change?

Not sure where conservation came from as it was never in my thought process. I am glad you are over joyed and do not want to apparently sit in the saddle for more than 100 to 150 miles. Some of us who tour would like to (not saying you do not tour). If you have ever ridden a Three Flags rally you would understand what I mean. I actually think for your Hemi that is pretty good mileage.

As for my happiness, I think I started out by saying I like the ride (i.e. Spyder) as much as anyone, but as stated I knew I could be corrected. I guess in answer to your thinking that I sound unhappy... Not unhappy... Just not over joyed or a fan boy. It is adequate, but not exceptional.

Thanks

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine has 2½ lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Spyder Garage

My RT wheels are already 17 inch, they say 14 on the side but being a guy I have exaggerate to compensate anyway, so I'm all set.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Not sure where conservation came from as it was never in my thought process. I am glad you are over joyed and do not want to apparently sit in the saddle for more than 100 to 150 miles. Some of us who tour would like to (not saying you do not tour). If you have ever ridden a Three Flags rally you would understand what I mean. I actually think for your Hemi that is pretty good mileage.

As for my happiness, I think I started out by saying I like the ride (i.e. Spyder) as much as anyone, but as stated I knew I could be corrected. I guess in answer to your thinking that I sound unhappy... Not unhappy... Just not over joyed or a fan boy. It is adequate, but not exceptional.

Thanks

Willy

I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when someone comments on the low mileage that our Spyders get. The fact is the mileage sucks, end of story. I still enjoy riding and hope to continue to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when someone comments on the low mileage that our Spyders get. The fact is the mileage sucks, end of story. I still enjoy riding and hope to continue to.
    The engine itself can be a fuel saver, but as Scotty (Nancystoy) has stated, the has the aerodynamics of a barn yard with wheels and the doors opened.

Previously owned:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    If you want/need/desire to save fuel, buy a Vespa.

Fifth gear, in my Spyder anyway, is barely legal whether or not I'm ryding 2 up or not.
    I give up! ..... I don't think it is wrong to want to improve a good thing.

Spyder Garage

Life is too short to worry about gas prices.

Spyder Garage

Default now you've done it Roger

It isn't and I didn't mean to imply it is,
    but let's face it, if you feel you can afford a $25K+ for a toy (which most are, not all but most) it seems a bit irrational to complain about the fuel economy.

JMHi said that very same thing not long ago and several folks got ALL bent out of shape even though it's true, for the majority of us. however, i DO realize that there are folks here that ryde full time and lots more than average.
    another overlooked factoid is the spyder idles rather high, which also contributes to fuel usage. ( think about how much time you spend sitting at red lights per tankfull )
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It isn't and I didn't mean to imply it is,
    but let's face it, if you feel you can afford a $25K+ for a toy (which most are, not all but most) it seems a bit irrational to complain about the fuel economy.

JMHO
    I agree. You think those driving a Corvette or a Ferrari are bitching about gas mileage.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.