Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ST just kind of bridges the gap between the RT and the RS/GS bikes.
    If it's what you need;
    If not; there are other models that might work better.
    I wonder how long it'll take the aftermarket to produce saddlebags for the ST?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well I just spent the last three days riding the 2013 model variants and all I can say is forget he cosmetic changes and the new model and go ride one when you get the chance, its a different beast all together!!! between the wider chassis and shorter a arms you are just more in control with less nervousness and less bump steer than ever before!

it was great to talk to all the engineers from BRP about the new stuff (the guy who designed the adjustable handle bars was great to talk to) and learn about things coming in the future, I was fortunate enough in the early days (2002-05) to see the very first spyder being tested in FL and seeing where its come from there is amazing!

first chance you get to ride a second generation spyder do i think you will be very surprised how much things have changed despite them looking so much the same, and the new ST is exactly what we need for the showroom floors right now since (believe it or not) there's a fairly large between the RS and RT models!

I also got to collect our district dealer of the year award while i was there and ride the new maverick UTV and all the other toys they made available, things I missed out on where driving our very own 2013 model back to Atlanta since i didn't take my gear with me and the gear there didn't fit, bloody shame not to take a 700 plus mile ride on the new model home!

two years in a row

the bar info

these are going to work great for bigger people

the new ST floor boards were really comfortable

as were the new bars and windshield (SM5 comes with 1st gen style pegs)

favorite colour

floor boards on the RT (yes they are available as an accessory)

2013 RT LTD white with brown seat

and i just painted our 2012 demo yellow

the hotel

the maverick

the view from our room

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Please Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki get on the 3 wheelers niche!!!
    You forgot BMW, that's quite an oversight.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    You forgot BMW, that's quite an oversight.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post

the new ST floor boards were really comfortable

Great photos... one question: is it just an optical illusion, or can the passenger floorboards adujust close to the same plane as the rider floorboards?

Because if they do, that'd be a neat little bonus to be able to stretch back your legs a bit if necessary.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Where then any mods to the trailer? Bigger wheels, matching spoke count, bigger engine

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recall some conversation in here regarding the fact that the 622 was originally being mocked-up with 15" wheels...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You need to see your dealer then because the Spyder stops better than any bike I've owned and I've owned a few.

Likewise, Lamont. I think the RT's better braking performance over a bike is down to there being two ABS wheels up front supplying twice the braking effort. A bike may have 2 rotors on the wheel but it only has one front tire.

I know that the fully loaded weight of my RT is more, for instance, than I ever carried on my BMW R150RT, (which I have a lot of experience of), but I feel safer on the road riding the Spyder because of its outstanding stopping power and stability.

It's worth remembering that the correct way to apply the brakes in an emergency with an ABS-equipped vehicle is to stamp hard on the brake pedal and let the ABS bring you to a controlled stop.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Oh, and regarding the adjustable handlebars... I dunno.

They look (and sound) very neat. BUT, how often does one need to adjust the handlebars? I needed something better than the stock RS handlebar position so I got risers. I installed them, I rode with a couple different settings, and once I had them dialed in, that was that, I haven't touched them since.

Difference is, I paid $150 for my risers (which still wouldn't work on an RT), whereas the adjustable handlebars are $650 or more!!

Anyway, I spent some time "building" Spyders on the BRP site and all I can say is the price inflation for Spyder accessories is ridiculous. I make good money, I save good money, I love riding and love getting value for my dollar but when I can price out an RT with a *modest* amount of accessories for over $35,000 (before I add the $5K trailer!)... that's insane.

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Oh, and regarding the adjustable handlebars... I dunno.

They look (and sound) very neat. BUT, how often does one need to adjust the handlebars?
    let me explain, the reason they are "adjustable" is because what works for you doesn't work for everybody so if they come "adjustable" a customer can adjust then to their liking and leave them there, simple really and just like having adjustable seats and steering in your car its not that you will adjust them all the time its just nice to get them where you want them!

Spyder Garage

Just ordered 2013 RT Limited, Bronze with Brown seat. Presently have 2010 RT Limited with 22k miles and have loved it. Thank you Lamont for this post, got the 2013 because of your excitment, especially the improved front end.

Spyder Garage

Difference is, I paid $150 for my risers (which still wouldn't work on an RT), whereas the adjustable handlebars are $650 or more!!

Anyway, I spent some time "building" Spyders on the BRP site and all I can say is the price inflation for Spyder accessories is ridiculous. I make good money, I save good money, I love riding and love getting value for my dollar but when I can price out an RT with a *modest* amount of accessories for over $35,000 (before I add the $5K trailer!)... that's insane.

yeah, I just priced one and the addon pricing is obscene...

$99 for a license plate cover? seriously???

Spyder Garage

I don't know what it is about the new model year that brings out so much uninformed speculation. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. Eventually, the sideways rumors will give way to fact and the situation will resolve itself.

Unfortunatly, the product (in this case the new Spyder line) may take an undeserved beating in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Thats True Scotty But the ST is 160 pounds heavier and 6 HP less than the GS/RS so I think its evident the RS is still the performance vehicle of the Musclecraft division.
    In fact, If the figures and Not printed wrong the 2013 RS is 100 (798 vs 698) Pounds heavier than the Old GS/RS??
    Whats up with that???
    Logical, and on paper I would tend to agree with you. Heavier (if that is in fact true) with less HP usually means a slower vehicle. But not always. Since most of us have not had the chance to ride the 2013's, paper is all we have to go on, except for the opinion of those who have ridden them.

The key here is that there is more to locomotion than horse power & weight when comparing old Spyder to new Spyder. Torque and power band also come into play. Those that have ridden the 2013's say they go better. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You can read into that what you want but I've never been left behind by an RS on my RT pulling a trailer. Ask Spyderpops or BajaRon if the extra weight and less hp more torque is a factor. I've ridden thousands of miles with both those guys.
    I have ridden with Lamont for many miles. Started with the Valkyrie, then the M109R and now my RS and him on his RT (usually pulling a trailer). I have never had to wait for him whether it's off the line or in the mountain twisties. I actually think that in some conditions that trailer gives him an advantage.

Nearly everyone would like more power, but Lamont seems to be able to get his RT to go just fine. And he is very happy with the power of the new Spyders.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder777 View Post
    No disrespect Lamont but,,,,

Most people on this forum think that going over 5,000 rpm is crazy so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with them.
    (Revised) Ok, re-reading this I see where you're coming from. Still there are many Spyder riders that don't mind getting with the program and running the RPM up. I don't think Lamont was talking about keeping up with slow riders. But I apologize for mis-reading this the 1st time. My response was not appropriate.

I've ridden with a number of Spyderlovers who are pretty good. SpyderPops, Doc, Seth-O and others (All RS riders). I don't consider myself 'Easy to keep up with', but even if I were, these other guys are not. And Lamont on his RT has no trouble keeping up. As a matter of fact, it's more like the other way around.

You can't tell us that a new machine with 100 -160 lbs of extra weight is going to perform better than our now retro 106 hp beasts that BRP used to manufacture.
    Well, of course he can, and I'm thinking he did or we would not be having the conversation. Here is my perspective.

When Lamont came back from his test riding week he told me that the new Spyder line was very impressive with a lot of real world improvements. Lamont has ridden a lot of bikes and he has a great amount of background to measure things by. Why else would BRP want his imput? (They sure didn't ask me!)

Lamont isn't a RAH-RAH kind of guy. When he gets excited about something, it means something. Now it's just his opinion and yours may vary. But his opinion is a very good starting point. Believe me, if Lamont didn't like what BRP was doing with the Spyder he would NOT be pumping it up. And I am very serious when I say this. It isn't like I met Lamont yesteday and I can tell you he's never changed his story to make someone happy.

So keep the speculation and good questions coming. But don't call it till you've ridden it.

Lamont's ridden it, he likes it, and he says the new Spyders have good power. I'm not saying you should take his word for it, just that you might want to ride one BEFORE you say he's wrong.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shot at the timid

My statement was not a shot at Lamont as I believe everything you say. My comment was a shot at a forum filled with people who shift between 4k-5k rpm. That means that they are not riding over 5,000 rpm very often.

Personally, I never shift before 6k and when we are power riding the side road twisties and the mountains I am cruising above 6k and shifting around 8k. I try to always keep my Spyder turning more than 5,000 rpm.

Spyder Garage

My statement was not a shot at Lamont as I believe everything you say. My comment was a shot at a forum filled with people who shift between 4k-5k rpm. That means that they are not riding over 5,000 rpm very often.

Personally, I never shift before 6k and when we are power riding the side road twisties and the mountains I am cruising above 6k and shifting around 8k. I try to always keep my Spyder turning more than 5,000 rpm.
    Ok, I must have gotten the wrong impression from your previous post.

There really is no single perfect shift point. Circumstances change and so does the desirable shift point. But from what I've read here on the forum, shifting at a too low RPM seems to be an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    let me explain, the reason they are "adjustable" is because what works for you doesn't work for everybody so if they come "adjustable" a customer can adjust then to their liking and leave them there, simple really and just like having adjustable seats and steering in your car its not that you will adjust them all the time its just nice to get them where you want them!

Ummm, let ME explain

I wasn't criticizing the need to adjust the handlebars-- OF COURSE they need to be adjusted, a guy (which guy? THIS guy) who purchased and installed risers is well aware of the need to find something that works for himself.

But like I said, I was able to get myself all nice and set for under $150 (the nicest risers out there are $250). Sure, it's not as polished as the BRP adjustable handlebars (which *are* gorgeous), but it's also not $650 to start. ($800 for the chrome ones!).

For something that's set so infrequently, and once set rarely if ever changed, that's an awful lot of extra money to pay for an accessory, however handsomely designed. THAT'S my criticism.

Edit: I *will* say that it's a great accessory for those who share their Spyder in the household-- it'd make swapping rides with your spouse/significant other that much easier.

But for a solo owner? Yeesh, that's serious coin for a doodad.

Spyder Garage

Ummm, let ME explain

I wasn't criticizing the need to adjust the handlebars-- OF COURSE they need to be adjusted, a guy (which guy? THIS guy) who purchased and installed risers is well aware of the need to find something that works for himself.

But like I said, I was able to get myself all nice and set for under $150 (the nicest risers out there are $250). Sure, it's not as polished as the BRP adjustable handlebars (which *are* gorgeous), but it's also not $650 to start. ($800 for the chrome ones!).

For something that's set so infrequently, and once set rarely if ever changed, that's an awful lot of extra money to pay for an accessory, however handsomely designed. THAT'S my criticism.

Edit: I *will* say that it's a great accessory for those who share their Spyder in the household-- it'd make swapping rides with your spouse/significant other that much easier.

But for a solo owner? Yeesh, that's serious coin for a doodad.
    Some dealer options are, I agree, pretty worthless. Those usually go away.

Still, one man's 'Doo-Dadd is another man's... Well, you get the point. The thing is, this may seem like a rediculous option to you but I can guarantee that more than a few will be very happy with it. Those that aren't have the aftermarket options.

I'd say it's a good step for BRP. Spendy, yes, but you don't have to pay it if you don't want to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One man's "doo-dadd", is another man's FARKLE!!

Spyder Garage

My thoughts on the new adjustable Handlebar... That it either comes with new cables (No idea just saying) or it proves they left enough slack in the cables for the Aftermarket to take a fresh look at this now that they have an example, and a price point...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    My thoughts on the new adjustable Handlebar... That it either comes with new cables (No idea just saying) or it proves they left enough slack in the cables for the Aftermarket to take a fresh look at this now that they have an example, and a price point...
    I like how this rider thinks.

NEED MOAR CABLE SLACK!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting but not for 2 up riding

The ST looks great (from the pictures), and I like the more upright seat position. I have a 2012 RT-S and my wife frequently rides with me. Unless I am mistaken, it looks like the ST would not make a great 2-up machine. The rear seat of the RT is very comfortable. Perhaps its a good thing since I like having the newest toys, and overall the ST looks great. I guess I will have to get some aftermarket shocks to try and make the RT handle a bit better.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

I really like the changes made, BUT I wish they had done something with heat management and Belt vibration. Maybe next year.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures