Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Warning this post may contain an unpopular opinion.
    While I find the new ST very nice, I'm really at a loss as to what niche it is supposed to fill.
    The distinction between the RS and RT was clear but the purpose of the ST seems unclear, at least to me.
    Let me explain it like this. As you get older you tend to move toward Florida as your final resting place. The RT is like moving to Florida and the ST is for those who are not quite ready for their final resting spot.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Any way to enter the contest other than Facebook?
    From the Rules...

Note: The Sweepstakes requires that an Entrant either already have or open an account on Facebook. Only one (1) Registration per person/Facebook account (regardless of whether one person has more than one Facebook account or more than one person uses the same Facebook account). It is solely the Entrant’s responsibility to notify Sponsor in writing if his/her Facebook account changes.

Spyder Garage

So the ST is like, I dunno, moving to Tennessee?
    Exactly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Let me explain it like this. As you get older you tend to move toward Florida as your final resting place. The RT is like moving to Florida and the ST is for those who are not quite ready for their final resting spot.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey I resemble that remark!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Is the RT Windshield vented?

All the Spyders including the RT have a new frame, new brakes (Brembo), redesigned suspension, next gen BOSCH ABS system, larger wheels (15")

And there is a fully adjustable handlebar for the RT and I mean fully. You have three bolts that will allow you to move the bars in or out and forward or back. There's a new vented windshield and new adjustable side vents. Trust me it's not the same animal. I rode as hard as I could and had a hard time kicking in the VSS.

Vented windshield for the RT?

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Something about the ST I just realized, none of the models have the cool fog/driving lights of the RT.
    I wonder if that would be an option?
    There is a fog light optional accessory for the RS and ST.

Spyder Garage

Default The new 2013 Spyder RT ST and RS

So the ST is like, I dunno, moving to Tennessee?
    LMFAO. Good one Rog. How's that seat working for ya?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default issues hopefully resolved on the RT

2 things
    Have they solved the "Normal" harmonic vibration at 5300-6000 RPM

Does the gas gauge work?

OK Maybe 3 things...is the windshield vented?

Oh dear, maybe 4 things...is the heat on the front of the seat resolved?

Thanks,

I am really excited about the new RT. Going to order one tomorrow...don't tell my wife...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    2 things
    Have they solved the "Normal" harmonic vibration at 5300-6000 RPM
    Don't recall any abnormal vibration on the ones I rode.
    Does the gas gauge work?
    The one's I rode did but so does mine so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that one.
    OK Maybe 3 things...is the windshield vented?
    That's an option, look through the pics again.
    Oh dear, maybe 4 things...is the heat on the front of the seat resolved?
    Wasn't an issue on the ones I rode or mine so once again
    Thanks,

I am really excited about the new RT. Going to order one tomorrow...don't tell my wife...

Spyder Garage

Love the vented windscreen, fingers crossed we will be able to retro fit to the 2012

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Gauge

I love the windshield. on my 2010 and 2012 RT the optional gas gauge read empty when there was still 2+ gallons...or a third of a tank

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love the ST! I know I've heard from a lot of ryders who enjoy the more, shall we say, spirited and technical aspects of ryding their RSS. But...they also wanna ryde it from San Diego to Cuba, or Maggie Valley, or even farther for events and trips. The ST gives you the best of both worlds. I know I'll appreciate a more opened up seating position after I've done four or five hundred miles in a day. Man, I'm dying to try it out.

Love the colors, too. That Currant is pretty sweet..

Spyder Garage

I love the yellow RT.

Spyder Garage

Well.. about what many of us had talked about wanting.... pretty nice job overall and will sell quite well I'm sure.

I like the looks of the front.. the new floorboards, features,etc... and the Burgundy one is SHARP!

One thing that disappoints me on the ST is them using the same side-case system as the RS. Don't get me wrong.. it's a nice system.. with quick release, etc... and those Givi R-35 cases hold more than the RT side-cases do.... BUT.... they ruin the sleek lines of the new ST... they just don't look like they belong.. kind of screams 'add on' to me.

As far as the under the hood changes.... will be interested to see the handling changes for sure. Going fly-by-wire is a great move too. RT seating position and bars... another great move.

All that being said..... I'm happy with my RT and glad I got it when I did. While I would have been very tempted by the ST had they been available.. and very well may have bought one..... I'm really happy with my RT and feel it was the right move at the right time.

The limited Burgundy would have been the one I would want... but the price tag seems a bit much...so that might have scared me off.

As far as some of the other complaints... I think many just expected too much..... it's obvious BRP pays attention to what is going on and what us owners do to our Spyders... and what is popular on the aftermarket accessories.

For those that want a bigger powerplant..... I believe BRP has heard these wishes and will do something in the not so far away future...... I'll probably wait for that until I upgrade from my 2012 RT.

Congrats BRP on another winner in the Spyder lineup.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool OK OK

Ok everyones excited about the new ST and the upgradeds for the RT, but what about the RS ?? Can i retro-fit the front gaurds and wheels ? how diffrent is it to the one in my garage thats only 1 month old? how much is it? Someone said that the RS will die out i certainly hope not as it is the starter ride for many younger riders and those (like me ) who are on the lower end of the finacial scale,so if u want just rich ol farts to ryde spyders let the end come for the RS( oh boy im gunna cop it for that )

cheers mick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mick ruhdorf View Post
    Ok everyones excited about the new ST and the upgradeds for the RT, but what about the RS ?? Can i retro-fit the front gaurds and wheels ? how diffrent is it to the one in my garage thats only 1 month old? how much is it? Someone said that the RS will die out i certainly hope not as it is the starter ride for many younger riders and those (like me ) who are on the lower end of the finacial scale,so if u want just rich ol farts to ryde spyders let the end come for the RS( oh boy im gunna cop it for that )

cheers mick
    I feel for ya Mick. I just returned from Sydney, visiting in laws and could not beleive the prices on Spyders down under. I would hope BRP would keep a low end RS as a starter Spyder for new riders to get. I Also just bought my second Spyder an RT and sold the RS that I had for the last few years. The RS was a great bike and I would have kept it except for the wife who did not enjoy the riding position for the passenger. I don't think that I lost out any on the 2013 versus the 2012 that I bought eexcept for the brakes, larger wheels and suspension upgrade. But I feel the brakes were fine and the suspension can be fixed with Elkas on the 2012 RT or RS but frankly they both ride just fine as they are.

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Well.. about what many of us had talked about wanting.... pretty nice job overall and will sell quite well I'm sure.

I like the looks of the front.. the new floorboards, features,etc... and the Burgundy one is SHARP!

One thing that disappoints me on the ST is them using the same side-case system as the RS. Don't get me wrong.. it's a nice system.. with quick release, etc... and those Givi R-35 cases hold more than the RT side-cases do.... BUT.... they ruin the sleek lines of the new ST... they just don't look like they belong.. kind of screams 'add on' to me.

As far as the under the hood changes.... will be interested to see the handling changes for sure. Going fly-by-wire is a great move too. RT seating position and bars... another great move.

All that being said..... I'm happy with my RT and glad I got it when I did. While I would have been very tempted by the ST had they been available.. and very well may have bought one..... I'm really happy with my RT and feel it was the right move at the right time.

The limited Burgundy would have been the one I would want... but the price tag seems a bit much...so that might have scared me off.

As far as some of the other complaints... I think many just expected too much..... it's obvious BRP pays attention to what is going on and what us owners do to our Spyders... and what is popular on the aftermarket accessories.

For those that want a bigger powerplant..... I believe BRP has heard these wishes and will do something in the not so far away future...... I'll probably wait for that until I upgrade from my 2012 RT.

Dude, I was totally thinking about you when I saw this, and your conundrum when you were picking out the new ryde. I think there are a lot of guys out there (and girls) that this would appeal to, because it's going to be good for aggressive ryding, but you can also just tick away the miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok Lamont, I live in Florida, what are you trying to say?? Dale

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The new 2013 Spyder RT ST and RS

I really don't care for the new fenders.
    Do just the tips light up like on all previous models, or did they finally turn the rear red into a running/ brake light, and the yellow into turn signal? Anything on the rear of the rt change? Exhaust? Factory high brake light? A not ugly trailer hitch?
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I have to agree on the bags when detached the framework and turn signal extensions look very much add on , on my BMW the brackets were part of the grab rail and the bottom was hidden by the footrest could not tell it was a bagger it will be interesting to feel the ride of the new front end that is everything on a Spyder that may turn all you may sayer into buyers if it a huge improvement
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default RT Floorboards

Love the new ST and probably would choose that if I didn't already have my RT. That being said, I'm IMPLORING BRP to make those floorboards available for me to put on my 2011 RT. Please, please, pretty PLEEEEASE!!!!
    2011 RTS-SE5

Spyder Garage

I went in an looked at the BRP website. My rambling feelings about the whole thing.

I really like the new yellow and black currant colors--very snazzy. That would be a hard choice for me--were I put in a place to make that decision. Would have to see both, up close and personal.

Surprised that there are no changes in engine size. It appears that the same engine now powers all three versions of the . I did not read any fine print to indicate re-tuning between models. The upside--maybe we won't have to worry about as many bugs in the systems--as they should be able to continue to improve the durability and reliability of the product.

I like the fact that footboards for the driver are now a part of the package, and the mention that the RT has adjustable handlebars.

I also noted that the windshield on the ST is not electric--but has manual adjustment that locks in place where you want it to be. It appears that RT windshield is still electric.

Cost is up there--but we kind of guessed that would be happening.

The new ST model is surely a step-up from the RS--and takes care of a lot of things that owners of the RS did to upgrade it. I did that stuff with both my GS and RS when I had them.

I am guessing that the RS is on the way out and will not be around one or two years from now.

Am I going to jump on the new 2013? It all depends on the outcome of some things. My 2010 RTS has started to act up after 28,000 miles. If I can get it fixed and it does not do a lot more things to mess up my confidence--then I would like to keep it another year or two. I really wanted to get it to at least 50,000 miles or higher. I love those new colors--but $10,000 to $12,000 or a little higher--to change colors--does not seem a good way to spend more money at this time.

I have plenty of time to read up, hear about others experiences, etc. before next years riding season begins. Another two to three weeks and it will be time for the "big sleep" for both my RT's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-24-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

They also did a lot for the passengers - the new exhaust is behind their feet -the kat is under the frame (thanks to BRP from my girl ) - it makes it easier to declare her why I have to change

BUT - all three modells should be two-coloured painted - (I just saw it in black - together with a lot of chrome parts ... thats mine)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Did I miss the post where someone said the expected date for these 2013 models to hit the dealers showroom?