Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The new 2013 Spyder RT ST and RS

We've all been waiting on pins and needles to see what BRP had for us in the 2013 lineup. As you can see from the leaked post on SpyderLovers there is a new model Spyder this year but that's only the beginning. The whole Spyder line has been revamped more on the inside than on the outside. I'll go over some of those features with you now.

I was one of the lucky ones that got to ride the new ST and the improved RT before it was ready for primetime. The first ST I rode had all the new features but it was made to look butt ugly so it wasn't noticed as it went down the road. It was pretty cool to know that in a few months this was going to be a real product that would bridge the gap between the RS and the RT. I've always been a big fan of the RS and to be honest it took some time for the RT to grow on me but it did and I got to say I really like touring aspects of the RT and it was hard to jump back on my RS and not have the wind protection, riding posture and the integrated sound system. I guess what I wanted was the sporty feel of the RS with some of the comforts and conveniences of the RT. When I found out that BRP was working on just such an animal I knew I had to check that out and I would most likely be making room for one in the garage.

Before any of us got to ride one of these babies we saw what it was going to look like in it's finished state and I was bursting with excitement. The front looked more like a custom than a RT or RS but if you had to say it was one or the other it was definitely more like an RT but sportier. The 15" front wheels and low profile tires gave it a custom look and also improved riding stability. Added to that they included a larger rotor and much improved Brembo brakes even though the later models had great brakes to start with.

The front suspension has been totally redesigned and that was one of the first things I noticed. They didn't just add better shocks and swaybar (and they did do that) they changed the geometry of the suspension. Right now I have the best aftermarket suspension money can buy and it made my Spyder feel like I was riding in a dump truck compared to the new redesigned Spyder updates. These updates are for all Spyder models RS-ST and RT. When I took my test ride all I wanted to do was go fast and stop, go fast and stop. I've never owned or ridden in anything that stopped as good as the new Spyders do.

The ST has an adjustable windshield but it is not done with a motor or needing any tools, you just lift up and slide it where you want it and it locks in place. It was a very cold day when we did our testing and we had an RS, RT and a ST there at the time and at some point in the ride we got to ride all models including the SM and SE and could compare them to each other. I gave the ST high marks for wind protection, not as good as the RT but real close. I really liked it. The RS pretty much had zero wind protection and nobody wanted to ride it on that cold day.

At that time they were still dialing things in and made some changes for the better. I think they did a great job on the finish product of the ST and I love the improvements on the RT and RS, mostly the handling a braking.

Here's what the press is saying. I'll update this as they come in.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/731/14...irst-Look.aspx
    http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/u...ew-suspension/
    http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/09/23/manufacturers/can-am/2013-can-an-spyder-st-roadster/
    http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/uncategorized/2012/09/23/new-chassis-for-2013-can-am-spyder-rt/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default throttle body

[Before any of us got to ride one of these babies we saw what it was going to look like in it's finished state and I was bursting with excitement. The front looked more like a custom than a RT or RS but if you had to say it was one or the other it was definitely more like an RT but sportier. The 15" front wheels and low profile tires gave it a custom look and also improved riding stability. Added to that they included a larger rotor and much improved Brembo brakes even though the later models had great brakes to start with.

The ST has an adjustable windshield but it is not done with a motor or needing any tools, you just lift up and slide it where you want it and it locks in place.

Looks like all models have gone to throttle body and 100hp. Can the ST brakes and wheels be retrofited to the GS/RS?
    [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

can you give any further detail as to how they changed the front suspension?

Spyder Garage

By clicking on pic you get to see much much more ! omg Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default VIP SweepSTakes link

Everyone,

Here is a VIP link to the SweepSTakes, you'll have a VIP access to the website once in the sweepstakes.

https://www.facebook.com/CanAmSpyder...99692176758015

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default It's exactly what I was hoping for: pricing?

Lamont, any pix of the dark black with purple is it? Do you have any info on pricing?

Thanks so much for post and pics!

Really looking forward to your additional posts.

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

I froze up again, man there must be allot of traffic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default RT Driver Floorboads :) :)

Finally RT Driver Floorboards. Can't wait for the retro kit to hit the market.

SPYDERRT-S_Footboards.jpg
    Last edited by KAPike; 09-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand how they could put floorboards on the new ST but not on the new RT??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Now that I'm through with all the mods on my 2012 RT

Now, I'm going to have to start over.

Spyder Garage

I know you havn't finished updating but... The pics in the album show a vent on the windscreen that's looks really cool (punn intended).

would be nice to know if that can be retro fitted. Nice line up, personally I don't like the new fenders. Be nice to see the new rt in person.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

I believe STS is $22,199 & ST Limited is $27,099. Not sure what the base ST is.

Spyder Garage

Does the STS have the color display like the RT?, & second question is the sound system compatible with the current ST Hybrid communication system and phone integration?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So basically: Harley marketing is so good that it has to be copied every way possible: clothing line, mileage pins, clubs and now creating bikes out of the parts bins by mixing and matching the same body parts again and again ..,, blurring lines between the different models.... Does that mean we are stuck with the same engine for the next 20 years too ?? Please Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki get on the 3 wheelers niche!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I don't understand how they could put floorboards on the new ST but not on the new RT??
    They DID add floorboards to the 2013 RT
    Last edited by KAPike; 09-23-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    So basically: Harley marketing is so good that it has to be copied every way possible: clothing line, mileage pins, clubs and now creating bikes out of the parts bins by mixing and matching the same body parts again and again ..,, blurring lines between the different models.... Does that mean we are stuck with the same engine for the next 20 years too ?? Please Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki get on the 3 wheelers niche!!!
    Sadly, I have to agree with you.
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

The Spyder ST definately fits the bill. Love it.

Also looooove the new fenders! Muuuuuch better styling!

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    BRP is very known for listening to the customers. And many people for the last 2 years wanted a hybrid between the RS and RT. I heard post after post after post here on spyderlovers about this. BRP is not known for "blurring". They are known for dancing on the edge. In the off road world, they just release this year an RTV vehicle that is triple digit in horsepower (something no one thought would ever be done ). It's just a matter of time before they do something crazy for the spyder engine. I believe they are really trying to build a comfortable profitable market for the spyder before they dance on the edge.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

so does the sts have cruse,and is there a picture of how the radio looks in the dash.man so many things not answerd.

Spyder Garage

Underwhelmed, sadly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    They did on the SE RT

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyder.brp.com/spyder-st/st-limited/detail

the STS limited is $24,599

STS $20.099

St $18.899

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Underwhelmed, sadly.
    You would have to ride one to be as excited as I am about it. Not the same bike at all

Spyder Garage

Probably, I guess we were expecting big changes all around. Especially people that tow (bigger engine). Its just not enough for me to lose some on mine and pay more to upgrade.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You would have to ride one to be as excited as I am about it. Not the same bike at all
    Which one Lamont? Are you saying that the RT is not the same at all? Do I need to find some $$ for a new Spyder?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622